Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

J

We need a couple close ups of the tats.
JP

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 2, 2006 4:28 PM

JohnnyP - I'm "friggin" glad you like him!

Doubravski - No man, you ROCK. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Benz - I really didn't put much work into him. The one I've given most of my attention to is still being worked on. I'll post him soon. I can't wait to see you and Sherry when you come over.

Marcus - thanks, I like dark stains too. I grew up in house full of mahogany and teak furniture, so I guess that's why I prefer dark colors.

A-A - Yes, lots of heart, sole, and a little flounder went into this guy. Check back this weekend, I hope to post another finished Maori then.

Lake - Thanks, I would rather have a labor of love than my love in labor..... :wink:

Mooney - Thanks to you too. I think he really IS a killer. I think he wants git me while I'm sleeping!

Mctiki - Glad you like him, but I really haven't changed or "morphed" at all. I'm the same old tart with a saw....

Loki - Thanks! He'll stay here with me "on display" until I blow up and need to build another engine for the rail - then I'll send him packin'!!!

AlohaStation - So the dark stain grew on you...kinda like that mold did on your palm tikis? Glad you came around :)

Tikimecula - Thanks for the positive comment!

Surfintiki - Thanks for commenting. I likes him too. What have you been up to? Did you ever get some cedar to work with?

JohnnyP - Close up shots of my moko aye? Why.....? Did your Foredom get there already....?!? :wink:

Thanks everyone, the TC Carving Ohana is definitely a great group of folks. Please check my thread this weekend as I hope to at least have another Maori in stain, if not stained with a few coats of spar.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 4:49 PM

Hey all,

Sanding at night this week....a little at a time. I want to get this guy in stain by Saturday night and hopefully in some spar by Sunday night. Here's how he looks so far....

It's getting REAL tight trying to work in the garage!

-Gman

L
Loki posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 5:00 PM

your kart would look great in my garage and so would that maori...looks great G....

B

GMAN, He is Really Sweet. I agree with JP in that we Need some Close ups of this guy. Lovin it.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 6:52 PM

Benz and Johnny - I'll try to take some macro pics of the moko on this guy before I stain him. My camera is on its way out though, so no promises....

Loki - I'll buy another house before I get rid of any toys :lol:

-Gman

H

GMAN, that is a very nice piece you have created, it is beautifully designed and has a very strong presence. I love the face and specially the mouth on this piece, makes it look different. Very nice indeed.

H
Helz posted on Thu, May 4, 2006 7:03 PM

G...

All I have to say is AWESOME.

Great work man!
I think you have too many hobbies, though....

C

it's all great...like how you do the toes....great stuff as usual

M
McTiki posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 5:44 AM

Spar him already. Lets see him in the light. He's awesome G.

J

Aside from the very nice Moari work you do, is that a new toy sitting in the driveway next to your truck?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 5, 2006 5:05 PM

Hiltiki - He's got some lips on him for sure. Thanks for the compliment!

Helz - You're AWESOME! Thanks for stopping by.

Kapu Kahiki - Naw man! A guy can never have too many hobbies, unless of course, he sucks at all of them......

Conga - It's all about the toes man!

McTiki - It's comin', It's comin', hang tight.... few more days....

JohnnyP - Nope, that's not a new toy. It's just our Subaru Outback (the wife's ride).

Here's a few pics from sanding tonight....

Luke, I am your father.........dang cedar kills my lungs.

And a few of him next to the small guy.....

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 1:58 PM

Hey all,

I've been sweating it out today and working hard. I finally gave up on tweaking this Maori. I could have kept working on him forever, but I have to stop sometime, right? So, here he is. He is my favorite so far.

The first pics were taken during the finish sand, and the others after I got him in stain. I'll see how he is tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should put the spar on him for a few days. I want to let him cure real well as he sucked up a lot of stain.

After I get him coated in spar, I'll cut in his paua wrist inlays. He'll have one small round Ab inlay on each wrist inside the moko circle.

Thanks for looking....

-Gman

C

boy you're starting to knock em all out of the park GMan...this one is really cool...has tons
of "attitude." You deserve to be really happy with this one...and all of your Maori carvings.
They are distinctively "GMAN".

H
Helz posted on Sat, May 6, 2006 3:00 PM

GMAN! What great work! I love the legs...and the Moko on the face is just fabulous.

Definitely a masterpiece!

Very nice stuff...I think that I might be having some cedar coming my way. I'm interested in carving with it for sure. Again, great stuff!

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 12:00 AM

Gorgeous work man! With these maoris you've really stepped up into legend status! Awesome!

Definitely no hint of chicklit teeth about it! :)

I wonder what postage to Australia would be... haha

UB

It's freakin amazing how some of these Tikis come to life.
Way to go G!

G, you da' man. I've enjoyed seeing him come to life, great work. That cedar kill's me I'm still huntin' for some.

L
Loki posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 6:46 AM

GMAN...making the Florida carvers proud...great work my friend.

P
pdrake posted on Sun, May 7, 2006 9:41 AM

that's really nice gman. i think you should patrol the dunes with that guy riding shotgun.

B

Aw Man, I Bet he Does have them Chicklet teeth under those big lips, He just isn't showin'em around here.. GMAN How many tons proud of this guy are you. You Should be at least 12 tons proud and then some. I think it's time you made another one. It really shows that you put time and effort into this guy. Like Loki said, you are making us Florida carvers look real good.
HappyHappyHappy

J

I've been looking at this for two days trying to come up with a new adjective, but I'll settle for "another outstanding" Gman piece. Although since you raised the bar, we can't accept anything less! So what are you going to do for an encore?

R

On 2006-05-08 12:12, JohnnyP wrote:
I've been looking at this for two days trying to come up with a new adjective, but I'll settle for "another outstanding" Gman piece.

Yeah , what he said...

That's a nice one, G...much vintage mana in there, too. Stainjob really "Pops".

M
McTiki posted on Tue, May 9, 2006 6:37 AM

[wipes 'drewel' from chin] that is a sweet Maori sir. Nicely done indeed. Much deserved pride there G Man!!!

Nice work on that last one. Looks cool inside next to your other one.
Have you seen MMA vs Streetfighter video going around the net? Here's a link in case not:
http://www.graciefighter.com/?page=forums&thread_id=2549&num_posts=13&add_view=set
It's about seven minutes long and worth checking out
It's about time to start the countdown to Hughes/Gracie. I think Hughes will win. What's your take?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 11, 2006 5:12 PM

Hey all,

Thanks so much for all of the comments and support. Thank you all.

Conga, Helz, Tikisobayli, Hewey, Unga Bunga, Tfisher, Loki, Pdrake, Benz, JohnnyP, Rodeo, BK, McTiki, and Buzzy, you guys are great!

Yesterday I got a package from Australia, it was a gift from Hewey. He made me a silk screen shirt with the Gman saw on it. I really like it. I've posted a pic of it below, as well as another pic of the last Maori next to the little guy. I'm going to put the final finish on this guy this weekend and do his inlays. I'll post again when he is all done.

Gman

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 11, 2006 9:01 PM

On 2006-05-11 17:12, GMAN wrote:
Yesterday I got a package from Australia, it was a gift from Hewey. He made me a silk screen shirt with the Gman saw on it. I really like it.

Im supposed to say it was made with love and all that wank, but he threatened me with a chainsaw so what choice did I have? Actually looking at his carvings it might have been an improvement to my looks...

Glad you like it man. :)

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 4:16 PM

My Kustom shirt rocks - Hewey Rocks!

I want to go out and carve tonight, but I've had rotten month and a terrible day and I'm about to have a serious god damn break down. I don't think working with the saw would be good. It might help clear my head, but it also might buy me a serious injury. What to do....crap!

Ever have one of those days where you just want to disappear? Between the insane pressure to produce volumes of analyses at work and having the wife gone all the time, I'm gonna bust. I'm hating things right now. Please Ohana....give me encouragement to continue???????????????????????????????/// I'm in a bad place.

-Greg

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-12 16:18 ]

P

take a night off and come out to shout. have a couple of drinks and relax.

K
kirby posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 4:49 PM

Dude... thats the reason most of us create its to get away from all the crazyness...We begin nuts and our art makes us sane. At least in my head thats how it works.. go kut wood ...

T

On 2006-05-12 16:49, kirby wrote:
Dude... thats the reason most of us create its to get away from all the crazyness...We begin nuts and our art makes us sane. At least in my head thats how it works.. go kut wood ...

Agreed! Go to it and concentrate on carving (and safety), and don't concentrate on anything else!

Gman
When I'm like you are now, I do some prep work. just something small and easy to help transition me from one bad state of mind to another, better one. Usually I will go and start stripping a log or getting something ready to carve for as soon as I am ready to. I just try to do something safe that will require no complex thought or hard work. Soon after producing some positive results or progress, I start feeling better automatically and find myself in the right frame of mind. It takes the bad times to put the good times in perspective. It can only get better from where you are now. Good luck,
Buzzy

Animal House: "I suggest you begin drinking heavily".. Just have a seat, G, and watch something stupid on T.V. My show today was "Behind The Music: Ratt" . It doesn't get much more stupid than that.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 12, 2006 6:53 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling a bit better. I wish I still drank, 'cause I would be on a serious bender right now. That's probably the biggest reason I dabble in so many hobbies - I don't drink or go out to clubs at all. It's tough trying to meet all the demands of work, taking care of the house, and dealing with the fact that my wife will be gone for another four years. I thought the first four was hard......

Anyway, fearing that I would screw up big time with the saw and kill a good log or a leg, I carried the last Maori out back and gave him some spar coats. I took some pics here to kill some time. I hope you like them. Some are dark, but he does look really stylin'. I also put him near his fellow brothers-in-logs.

-Greg

Great pair G !!!!!

Davez_tikiz (the artist formerly known as Doubravsky)

J

I always get excited when I see your thread jump to the top. It usually means you've been busy and I get to see a drastic change on a log. Makes me, as Benzart would say, "happyhappyhappy"

I recently found out there is one thing worse than being stressed out at work because you have too much going on. That is when your employer decides to "restructure" and get rid of product lines and lay off tens of thousands employees. I've been getting a couple of calls from companies in Tampa, so I may be there in a week or so and get a chance to see that wonderful art in person. :)

That shot with all four was the picture I've been waiting for. Too much high class tiki in one picture though, my eyes couldn't focus on one, they just kept bouncing from one to the next to the next...

JP

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 13, 2006 4:55 AM

Hey man hope you're feeling better. The majority of the time wrenching on a tiki makes me feel so much better. But every once in a while Ill be an absolute shite mood and my tiki creation just suck and I get frustated and then they suck more and then I get more frustated...etc! :(

Just go with whatever is working for ya at any given time. Sometimes its good just to chill out and watch shite TV and give the tikis a break. Sometimes its cool to hack the crap out of a log to releive some stress.

Keep your head up dude. Your maoris are absolutely excellant and I too love seeing your updates.

Hope yer feeling better...cuz your stuff always makes me feel better. I'm sure it's
tough to be alone all the time...carve when you are ready!

Hey BK...I watched that Ratt thing too...and the Pantera show that followed. I really
hate that kind of hair-metal (Ratt) but I love to watch how they screw everything up...

Which reminds me...GMan...another way to feel better...play "The Blasters" real loud. Now
that's MUSIC.

Brother in logs. You make me laugh.
They're all looking excellente'

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 13, 2006 5:02 PM

Much better today. Thanks guys. I got all greasy today and turned some wrenches on the saw buggy. I didn't let my mind wander to work or bad stuff.

You wouldn't believe how beautiful the finish came out on that last Maori. I have no idea what happened, but it is really gorgeous. The grain in the wood is looks crazy nice, and the stain and spar really set it off. I will try to get some macro pics of his face and Moko tomorrow, but I'll need just the right amount of light to pull it off.

I'll be putting the saw into a choice log tomorrow. I'll be starting early. Should I use a 60" or a 38" cedar log??? These are my last two cedar logs

Here's me pissing off the neighbors (the rail is LOUD) :lol:

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 14, 2006 2:09 PM

Ohana,

Today I woke early and got started on a new piece. It was too early for saw work when I first wanted to start, so I sharpened my chains and carried all my gear to the back yard - I needed the hand truck for this log. When it was late enough to fire up (10ish), I let fly on a new Maori. This piece is 50" tall (I thought the log was 60", but I was mistaken) and is red cedar from a tree I cut up last year. This tree had already been seasoning up off the ground for over a year when I first cut it, so it is probably 2 years cured by now. This log has some cracks, and will likely continue to check, but such is life. I tried to use the cracks and the branch stubs to my benefit. Anyway, Benz has me tripping over his little Maori so I tried to grab a little flavor from him (like the windows in the elbows) and the rest is Gman Maori. This guy will have: a very large head; two flat, circular shoulder areas; a deeply arched back; a thumb (a finger directly opposing the right index finger); at least one elbow window; and, a few things I'll get to later. I was able to get the right arm/elbow way back off the carving due to the crazy shape of the cedar log. When I try to figure these guys out, I always try to use the irregularities in the log to my benefit and make them fit. I hope you like him and can envision some of what I want to do with him.

Thanks for looking - nice comments will be appreciated :)

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2006-05-14 14:11 ]

B

Lookin good GMAN,
I'm in Alabama, swiping a few minutes computer timefrom my son.
This guy is Already looking dynmite. I love seeing all your Maori' together. Hope you got out of your funk OK.
Keep posting pix.
I'll be home tomorrow nite.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2006-05-16 08:50 ]

H
hewey posted on Sun, May 14, 2006 8:48 PM

On 2006-05-13 17:02, GMAN wrote:

Here's me pissing off the neighbors (the rail is LOUD) :lol:

Mate, thats one way to chear up!

J

Now you are going to go and get all fancy! It will be nice to see how you work out the arm windows I notice how the arms in the back are asymmetrical-made for a difficult layout.

JP

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 15, 2006 7:55 PM

Benz - Thanks for chiming in, and all the way from Alabama! I worked hard on this rough out. This was the bumpiest log out of the whole group that I brought home last year. I was saving it for something with a little more shape to it, and it worked perfectly, allowing me to get that right arm back off the body. The round flowing arms and open cuts should accent the rest of the curves I hope to dig into him. Stand by.

Hewey - Actually, my neighbor has a rail too and he doesn't mind the engine noise - he was cranking around behind me in his :lol:. Both of my direct neighbors seem ok with the saw noise too, as they have never brought it up, I speak to them every day, and I use the saw ALOT. They dig my carvings and come by to see what I'm up to. The guy with the rail has a bunch of my tikis and carved animals in his house and around his outdoor tiki bar.

JohnnyP - you asked what I was gonna do for an encore for the last guy....well, here you go. A 50" cedar Maori with some cool open areas, a difficult asymmetrical layout, and a few details I have not put on one of these yet (like a thumb). Keep your fingers crossed and keep watching, this guy could be really wild!

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies