Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Oct 13, 2009 12:59 PM

Babs - hey man, no chance of the G's moving to Cali...sorry. But you can come and ride horses at the new Lazy G Ranch....wherever that winds up being......

Marcus - howdy hey! Thanks for looking at the boat-man. I need to get back to him...but it is so hot out in the garage.....

updates soon. I promise.

-G$

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 29, 2009 3:19 PM

hits at 6/10s of a mile (1,000 yards)

I don't know what in the heck the picture means...but you and the doc should
consider Wisconsin. Lots of wildlife to chase down (deer, bear, turkey)...
waterfowl...good fishin'....really nice weather for two months of the year...
thriving tiki community (at Lake's house)....really cold weather in January
and February...yeah...gets down to about 20 below! Plus lots of people who
need medical attention (brats/cheese/BEER). Just let me know if you need
more info on the northern paradise :)

On 2009-10-29 15:19, GMAN wrote:

hits at 6/10s of a mile (1,000 yards)

Nice work! What ya shooting?

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 29, 2009 6:23 PM

Thanks.

A .308 SASS unit.

Here is a 6" plate I engaged at 565 before I dialed up to 1,000.

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-10-29 18:30 ]

On 2009-10-29 18:23, GMAN wrote:
Thanks.

A .308 SASS unit.

Here is a 6" plate I engaged at 565 before I dialed up to 1,000.

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-10-29 18:30 ]

Nice rig! Heres mine, Rem 700 police .308

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 30, 2009 4:41 AM

Sweet rig. I love bolts. Mmmm Mmmmm Mmmmm, NightForce. NXS 3.5 - 15? You speak mils or minutes? :wink:

I'm using the mil spec Leupold Mk IV LRT M3 on the SASS. Had to dial up 42 minutes to get a call on that 10" plate.

Back to our regularly scheduled tiki program....which means crickets here at the G-spot.

-G

B

"Crickets at the G-Spot"? Ya gots Buggies in yer pants? :) :o

With a bit of practice I
m sure you could Plink a decent looking tiki on that yellow thing.
(sorry about the shot to the hand!)

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 30, 2009 9:53 AM

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 30, 2009 10:06 AM
G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 30, 2009 3:19 PM

Grog,

Gman say yowwie!

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Nov 6, 2009 9:59 AM

Looks like no hunting this weekend so I'm going to make an attempt to work on the boatman. I'll post a pic or two if i get on it.

g

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 7, 2009 11:40 AM

All,

It is really windy here due to an approaching storm. Bad time to hunt, but a good time to carve :wink: Here are some progress pics from today. This is a small figure I last worked on in April. It has been a long time! At least I remembered which way to point the sharp end of the toolz. :D Anyway, I've seen a lot of folks new to carving posting their work. I only worked on his face today and started with a blank slate. I hope these progress pics help some of you. Sorry I haven't been your threads chatting, but computer time is short and my carving time even shorter. But here is a group "hello" to all the new kats. I hope to interact with you all soon.

-G$

B

We've waited sooooooooooooo long or this update and WOW O WOW It's reallllllly a good one. Excellent work bro'

B.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 7, 2009 1:22 PM

Thanks Benjamin. I've missed you guys. It felt good to get in the shop and work and not be "on the road." I've been traveling nearly every weekend since August. Logged lots of miles chasing critters. I've had precious little time to carve, and when I did have time....I was too spent to do anything. But there was a little burst of something. Hopefully I'll want to do some more.

What's up with these ghost pages anyway? I gets 'em all the time? Go away ghost page.

-G

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 7, 2009 1:24 PM

Go away ghost page! Don't make me get out my chikkin foots and work the voodoo on you! Be gone ghosts!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 7, 2009 1:25 PM

The threat of chikkin foot voodoo fixes them ghost pages every time :wink:

-G

B

Don't know for sure but the Ghosts are probably so glad you posted a days work they are All dancing around and making extra pages or whatever they do.
For me, I
ll be dancing around too looking at all the great shots of this excellent GMAN guy, Typical, Mind blowing, spectacular guy filled with Sweet lines everywhere taking your eye from area to area and leaving you wanting for more, More, MORE! I know you haven't had much time for the chisels but if you can Only remember the joy and peacefulness this kind of day leaves you with, maybe you can do it more often? I know we would surely love it.
Thanks for bringing us this day full of cool stuff,, You're the best!
Happy Happy Happy

J

Wahooooooo! A darn nice Gman post. You knocked a great one out. I've a been wait'n a long time to see this one. I hope the storm turns into a stationary front so you carve a lot more.

L

On 2009-11-07 12:29, benella wrote:
We've waited sooooooooooooo long ...

And it was well worth waiting for...

J.

C

Finally! and update :)
Looking great!!

About time!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Nov 9, 2009 12:44 PM

Benno - Glad you like his lines. I tried some different things. I wanted him to look primitive, mean, angry and unimpressed. You know, like you ; )

Johnny - Wow man, I figgered you mighta died out there on the ice?!! Youz a tough man to find. Tings OK? How's your pool? I just came in from a swim. Was cold coming back inside into the AC.....

laojia - Thanks for waiting. My bad ......

Clarita - Thanks for stopping by a looking. Sorry I've been away for so long and have very little to show.

Tikifreak - Looks who's talking? I figured Hanford recycled your name! Couldn't possibly be THE tikifreak posting on here? I thought he wasn't allowed out to play anymore? I heard mamma took away your chizzles and replaced them with a warm bottle of milk. Remember to eat your veggies, or no TV for you......

-G$

S

great pix from start to finish.....i think that i'll look at them again..........and again

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 10, 2009 4:53 AM

Hey Skoo,

If you go back to page 169, the start of that bugger is there. I think I posted 3 updates on him over the next few pages before he got set aside and the BoatMan got started. He is about as small as I wanna rough out with a chainsaw. He's toe-biter size......

-G

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Nov 17, 2009 4:26 PM

Oh my Lordy!

Gman,.....he turned forty! :(

it is a sad sad day

S

Nice work middle aged man! He has lots of personality already.

On 2009-11-17 16:26, GMAN wrote:
Oh my Lordy!
Gman,.....he turned forty!

:P :P Got Prunes? :P :P

J

On 2009-11-17 16:26, GMAN wrote:
Oh my Lordy!

Gman,.....he turned forty! :(

it is a sad sad day

You are just a kid! Smile and go get some cake and ice cream.

B

GMAN, You SURE about thet 40 Number?? I thought it was the big FOUR OH to years ago??????? You Know I'm just Joking with you man, we ALL Know you're ONLY 46. happy BIRTHDAY!!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Nov 21, 2009 1:31 PM

Lots of work to be done. Got a few hours in today. Some progress pics are attached. Amazingly enough, my 40 year old pieces parts still work,....sort of.....

-G

B

Hey GMAN, GLAD to see them old parts still gots some lifes in'em and theys still workin good. Just dont quit on us, we are behind you 50%

B

Each step of your work looks amazing, this piece seems to get a bigger part of life from an update to another.
The kotiate he's holding is a top idea as I never saw a maori warrior that way.
The face is really amazingly real with sharp lines... Bravo,

Can't wait for the next update !

Benjamin.

On 2009-11-21 13:31, GMAN wrote:
Amazingly, 40 year old pieces parts still work,....sort of.....

Grumpy? Bloated?? Needs more fiber...

He's coming along great.

Oooooooh! G's loose with the tools! Yeah man!

B

18 days...

I love the powerful lines in that carving. Can't wait to see what he will look like when he's finished

Aloha!

Marcus

B

21 daze

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Dec 12, 2009 12:59 PM

Benz - Thanks for the half-hearted support; it means almost as much to me :wink:

Benella - Thanks for the nice wordz. For a little guy, he does have a big presence.

TJ - Nah man, us porkivors dunneed no fiber.

Mango - Thanks for checking in on me.

Surfin - "G's loose with the tools." Yup, and it is a whole lot safer than what I normally run around with on the weekendz......

Aweulekuula - Sombitch that was tough to spell! Glad you like his lines. I though about how to do them for quite a while...well not really....

Benjamin - Sorry Mate!

I've been tinkering with this guy at night and working on little sections here and there. Gotta even this up, shape this, figger that out, you know....get him ready for sanding. Anyway, I worked some more today and have some pics to share below. Thanks for stopping by.

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2009-12-12 13:03 ]

B

OMG ! OMG ! OMG ! He's almost finished ! And beautifully fantastic too !
Can't wait for the TA MOKO.

Happy happy happy.

B.

J

On 2009-12-12 12:59, GMAN wrote:

Butt Gman........

This guy is crawing out the log looking really good.

B

Jeeze GMAN, He's Really looking great, I Love his GMAN Ears, the eyes and the cute butt (that is if such a tough lookin' guy like this Could have one)
I'm glad you have been finding time for this guy here and there and his refinement shows, he is turning out to be an incredible carve with so many trademark GMAN features,, you gonna finally sell one like maybe this one?

[ Edited by: Benzart 2009-12-19 12:37 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 1:20 PM

Benella - Thanks for the wordz. No moko for him. This piece of wood won't let me turn at all; it just turns to dust. As I got further along, I noticed that the grain intself was WAY cooler than any work a could do with my chizzles....so, I used a finish that would bring that out and I am VERY happy that I did. A few more coats and he will look really, really deep. The grain and spalting just make it for me.

JohnnyP - I see you have been chipping indoors. Loverly. Momma's gonna have your azz!

Benno - Thanks. I figgered you could see the small things that were happening. The small stuff takes the most time, as you know. I'm glad you like his earz. I thought that might look neat, plus I had a crack on the one side that I had to plan around.

Here are a few pics from today. First are a series of sanded pics......then a series of other things....then the finished product. Please keep in mind that I have at least 3 more coats of oil finish to put on, so he will be getting "richer" looking over time. Thanks for looking.

-G

That thing is marvelous! Great work!

It's one of those rare pieces that gets me all fired to do a couple things:

#1 Use some wood that's not palm

#2 (Most important)It makes me want to get off my ass and go carve something immediately!

Thanks for your great work G!, I haven't been inspired by much that I've seen around here lately.

Wishing you and yours the best this holiday season!

Buzzy Out!

PS You're on page 183, but your thread title only goes to page 182? I almost missed the update...

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 13, 2009 1:54 PM

Thanks Buzz. We seriously miss you around here. I feel so bad that you can't do the work that you so obviously love...but it is only for now. I'm glad that my "stupidity in wood" helped feed your fire...if but a little. Inspiration can come from many places; you just need to look and recognize it. Be happy you didn't lose a limb or something even worse in that wreck. You'll be back at the chizzles soon enough....and when you do, we'll feel the stoke all the way over on this coast. You rawk! Never forget that.

The missing page is because of the ghost pages phenomenon. Last time I had to threaten to you use my chikkin foots voodoo on it and it finally left. Let's see how long it takes this time.....

-G$

L

Very impressive finished piece! Indeed no moko for him: the wood grain gives us the appearance of having a moko!
Good find also the setting of the inlay eyes...

Hat's off Mr G!

J.

Great guy, all finished and proud. A really nice piece than is definitely inspiring me to get back to some wood.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies