Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

A great meal starts with a great Rue!

My wife likes to make Paula Deen's recipe for Mac & Cheese - includes Cheddar, Swiss, PEPPER JACK, Colby, Muenster, and Gouda. I think it costs us 15 bucks to make but it sure is some good Mac & Cheese :)

Speaking of Cuban food, have you ever cooked in a Caja China? I've never seen one used but they are a plywood box lined with sheet metal. A whole pig is butterflied and dropped into the box and hot coals are put in the lid. The top of the pig is in contact with the hot lid, creating a nice crisp skin and the rest of the meat cooks from the heat trapped in the box. Mmmmmm... crispy BBQ pork!

OGR

ATP, I am confused (or "cocktail induced") is that rue, the bitter flower or roux the mother sauce staple? Either way I'm game.

I thought a great dinner always started with a stick of butter?

On 2010-03-14 16:11, MadDogMike wrote:
My wife likes to make Paula Deen's recipe for Mac & Cheese - includes Cheddar, Swiss, PEPPER JACK, Colby, Muenster, and Gouda. I think it costs us 15 bucks to make but it sure is some good Mac & Cheese :)

Speaking of Cuban food, have you ever cooked in a Caja China? I've never seen one used but they are a plywood box lined with sheet metal. A whole pig is butterflied and dropped into the box and hot coals are put in the lid. The top of the pig is in contact with the hot lid, creating a nice crisp skin and the rest of the meat cooks from the heat trapped in the box. Mmmmmm... crispy BBQ pork!

I would really dig making one sometime MDM,Never have cooked in one myself, but there was a really tasty cuban place in Glendale,Ca many years ago that did, wish I could remember the name?

Hi Rummy, one and the same, just depends on which cook book your reading at the time, Butter & Flour.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-14 19:03 ]

I have half a ham from last nights dinner so more tonight...

Show: The Pacific on HBO

Dinner:
Ham and Swiss Omelette with Fresh Herbs,Mushrooms,Peppers Shaved Parmesan, Ranch Potatos on the side...

A

I've heard that "Hell is 2 people and a ham". Looks heavenly, though AWWWW!!

We made lamb kafta-esque meatballs on the grill tonite with fresh tahini dressing.
Plenty left over for lunches tomorrow.

Movie: Outland
http://www.imdb.com/media/rm961518592/tt0082869

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-03-14 23:59 ]

So who has the Corned Beef cooking tonight?

A

Not here- though I did get some fantastic Irish Soda Bread from the Encinal Market.
Can't figure out what the distinctive flavor is- a lot of recipes seem to have caraway seeds and/or buttermilk.
This one tastes almost malty.

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-03-17 20:22 ]

No cooking for me, today was a road day. But I usually get in a crockpotful of Corned Beef and Cabbage.

Sounds like they might have used beer in the recipe? Amy, I got corned beef slow cooking in a great broth, but we make Ruben Sandwichs
out of it.

Mrs ATP is of Scottish decent, me I am from Denmark, St. Paddys day! not that in to it.
Some people just need an excuse to go drinking sometimes.

A

Yeah, we "celebrated" with a Mai Tai :drink:

On 2010-03-17 20:34, amybean wrote:
Yeah, we "celebrated" with a Mai Tai :drink:

That's Irish enough for me!

Made Corned Beef last night, so its time for classic Reuben Sandwiches!
or is it fun with pickles?

A

So jealous!!!! (jealous of that pickle)

The Movie: The Hangover

Dinner: Pasta & Sicilian Bolognese Sauce, I know this looks alot like my other pasta dishes, but Nooooooo!
It's chock full of Beef & Sweet sausage, Onions, Garlic, Red wine, Crushed Tomatos,Fresh herbs & topped with ton's of
Parmesan Reggiano and Garlic bread to mop up the sauce with.

This one's for you MadDogMike! Mike likes meat!

Now Punk & Tiki mix well, like a Mai Tai with attitude.
But what do I know? I am just a punk with a Mai Tai.

The Moai see, the Moai like!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-20 04:18 ]

MEAT!!!!! HoooowWWLL!

Looks great. I've been running around too much lately and the missus has been doing all the cooking. No cooking next week either :(

Tonight was one of those, so what is in the fridge? what we can make for dinner? nights.
you just grab what ever is on the shelf.

So I threw together, Ham & Eggs & Cornbeef Hash...one of those meals that tastes better then it looks!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-20 22:34 ]

A

Looks pretty good, though, must say!

Had the same thing going on- what's in the fridge? Red kale
Or even the freezer....scallops...brown butter and garlic. woo!

That empty glass was an Income Tax cocktail from the Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails book-
ooops wrong thread!

I've been seeing some good looking eats here as always, guys...

I was finally able to buy the Bum's Taboo Table since the reprinting... I made my first recipe tonight:
Luau Sweet & Sour Spareribs

Trad'r Bill

Looks great Bill, you going to work your way through the book and give us pics?

Tonight's dinner was New York Strip Steaks, Grilled Asparagus, Red Potatoes, Cesar Salad, and fresh Cherimoya for dessert.

Ooops, I forgot to take the picture until AFTER dinner :D

Nice underwear! MDM.

MDM will now be known as "MadMikeJoeBoxerDog"

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-21 21:26 ]

Hey Trad'r Bill, what are you going to make next?

A

I made a big ol' pot of chili, but it don't look like much in a picture.

Well, I haven't done any cooking lately but I did some food shopping while I was in the big city:

Trader Joe's - that was fun. I couldn't pick up any fresh or frozen food as we were staying in a hotel. But I did pick up some pearl couscous that I can't find here and some Masala simmering sauce.

Henry's and Windmill Farms - those were a bit too "tree hugger" for me, I'm not a big fan of organic food. I stopped at Windmill Farms to pick up some antihistamines - big mistake. Everything in their "medication" aisle is made from honey, ocean water, and/or echinacea. The checker at Henry's was a case-in-point; Biblical name, hair almost to her waist, 2 inch wide brown leather belt on her organic cotton jeans. Very pretty girl but I'm thinking she probably doesn't shave her armpits :lol:

Marukai Market - very interesting! I had never been to a Japanese market before. They had all kinds of cool stuff like fresh quail eggs, canned quail eggs, canned eels, frozen taro, wagyu beef ($90/lb), dried-smoked squid-on-a-stick, and an amazing selection of seafood and sake. Also a cool section of Asian pottery, sushi and tea ceremony implements.

Well, 'til my next trip to the city I'll have to get all my "exotic" foods at Von's :D

MDM, what your in my neck of the woods & you don't call? glad to see you got to Don's though.
Next time your up, you need to go here...

H Mart
http://www.hmart.com
2600 Alton Parkway
Irvine, CA 92614

it is off the 405 Jamboree exit, at Jamboree & Alton
Best Asian Market here, most things are half the price as any other place & great selection, parking is a pain though, tasty little places to eat in the Asian center for lunch or dinner, crowded on the weekends.

I just went to "India Sweets & Spices" for some basics for Indian food.

14441 Newport Ave
Tustin, CA 92780
closed Mondays...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-25 16:50 ]

This was supposed to be a PM :)

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2010-03-25 17:36 ]

TT

I've been slacking on the posts.
Tonight Sherriyaki made us Mahi Mahi, salad with cilantro dressing, pinto beans 'n' corn with salsa, and rice.

Looking Good Sherriyaki, Tonga does Sherry see your posting of her meal's here?

A

I guess we're drinking dinner tonite
Mai Tais

TV: Old Slim Shady vids

Dinner tonight was birthday party burgers for 25. Potato Salad & Greek Roasted Potato Salad, chips & dips, Strawberry Cake, Spice Cake, 3 layer Chocolate Cake (top & bottom layer cake, middle layer brownie) and all the trimmings for burgers:
Teriyaki Sauce & Grilled Pineapple, Bacon, BBQ Sauce, Onion Rings, Ortega Chiles, Guacamole, PEPPER JACK CHEESE, Cheddar Cheese, Hickory Smoked Swiss Cheese, and 4 kinds of buns.

All Hail the PepperJack! MDM!
a regular Burger Brouhaha....

TT

On 2010-03-26 19:10, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Looking Good Sherriyaki, Tonga does Sherry see your posting of her meal's here?

Yes, Sherri sees 'em. She figures if she's cookin' then I'm shootin' 'n' postin'.

Very cool Tonga! :lol: Mrs ATP likes to watch me cook,then she eats the food,watches me cleanup, then watches me post pictures here.
I think I may have spoiled her!

That's something I haven't figgured out after 28 years of marriage: when she cooks, I clean - but when I cook I have to clean because she says I'm a messy cook :roll:

Show: Breaking Bad

Dinner: Chicken & Mushroom Tikka Masala with Naan

The Prep...
Making the Turmeric Rice

Cooking up the Tikka Masala, The Naan is heating up in the oven

Here you go, all plated up...

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-28 23:31 ]

CJ

Big points on Indian and Breaking Bad!

Thanks Coco Joe, when are you going to post a meal here?

TT

Tonight Sherriyaki made us extra firm tofu stir-fry with bok choy, celery, trumpet mushrooms, cilantro, and scallion with Liquid Aminos and Sriracha for seasoning. Sherri had a plum wine spritzer and I had a Navy Grog. For the record we're watdhing a taped episode of Human Target, but the only tie-in would be Grace Park from Battlestar Galactica making a guest appearance. Hot Asian food/hot Asian actress.:)

Good lookin' tofu Tom, nice segue :D

Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowl and Pomegranate Limeade

Quick Tip: I built fence today and played with clay :D so I didn't plan out dinner. If you use bottled marinades but don't have the time to let them soak in - grill the chicken naked (no seasonings) and cut it up. Put it in a skillet with some marinade and heat it to boiling. Simmer and stir for a few minutes minute and it's done. With more surface area (cut up) the cooked chicken quickly absorbs the marinate and a few minutes reduction makes it into a glaze :)

Good tip MDM, if you have a wok add a little oil to it with your sauce to make a quick glaze.

TT

Mmmmm...Pomegranate Limeade. That might need some rum in it.

Wifey cooked tonight was I was off at work. Made Chipotle Chicken topped with PEPPER JACK CHEESE and garnished with fresh fried tortilla strips. No pic though :(

All Hail the PEPPERJACK & the Chipotle!

A

No pic didn't happen

We had take out from BeachPit BBQ, Mike........
anyone cooking for Easter Dinner this weekend?

On 2010-04-02 21:05, amybean wrote:
No pic didn't happen

:lol:

mmmm Beach Pit BBQ, mmmmm ....

Easter dinner at my daughter's house. We're doing a Southern cooking theme and wifey is cooking the fried chicken & bisquits.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies