Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

District B-13: Action,Parkour more action & Guns,Guns,Guns.....what more can you ask for!
Damn you for not posting pictures, I love Carnitas Tacos, Damn, Damn, Damn...

Wow! like magic there is a picture, Amy your a female Criss Angel,Inconceivable!
consider my outrage redacted!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-02 22:49 ]

Parkour & Carnitas Tacos...........good times....

It's funny how you go your whole life without seeing something - then when it's pointed out to you, you see it everywhere!

I had never heard of Pho (Vietnamese soup) until you started posting pictures ATP. I've been driving to Orange County frequently lately and now I see it all over OC and San Diego. Then today I saw an article about Pho in the Smithsonian magazine of all places! :lol:

well I am glad to introduce the world to Pho & to the Pho impaired.
You must try it if you have not yet!

I will wait here while you go get some, go ahead & will be right here.

Maybe you can bring some back.....No! I was just asking, bejesus, what a mouth!

Wow! That Pho was deeeliiici... oh, I uh, ate yours too. Uh, sorry about that bro!

WWWHHHHAAATTTTT!

A

Pho is very popular here- some amazing places and some not so good. I love cilantro!

OK, ATP- we had tacos again and maybe again for the next 1000 nights since we love them so:

roasted chicken with romanino tomatoes, cilantro, chopped black olives, a little bit of PEPPERJACK, smoked sea salt and salsa.

Annnnd...carnitas! with same tomatoes, same cilantro, etc olives etc. (no cheese)

Tacos are fun! Yea Tacos!
If I could build a house in a Taco?
I would live in it!

So lots of posts in the what are you drinking thread, here? not so much!
Liquid Dinner, who needs food?

You might like this one MDM

Muffuletta

The Olive Salad recipe is for a whole lotta Salad, just scale it way back for a smaller portion...this was a restaurant sized recipe!
I don't add the Crisco oil when I make it, just Olive oil, you can leave out some of the items if you don't care for them, but not the Olives!

• For the olive salad:
• 1 gallon large pimento stuffed green olives, slightly crushed and well drained
• 1 quart jar pickled cauliflower, drained and sliced
• 2 small jars capers, drained
• 1 whole stalk celery, sliced diagonally
• 4 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
• 1 small jar celery seeds
• 1 small jar oregano
• 1 large head fresh garlic, peeled and minced
• 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
• 1 jar pepperoncini, drained (small salad peppers) left whole
• 1 pound large Greek black olives
• 1 jar cocktail onions, drained

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl or pot and mix well. Place in a large jar and cover with 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 Crisco oil. Store tightly covered in refrigerator. Allow to marinate for at least 24 hours before using.

• For the sandwich:
• 1 round loaf italian bread
• 1/4 pound mortadella, thinly sliced
• 1/4 pound ham, thinly sliced
• 1/4 pound hard Genoa salami, thinly sliced
• 1/4 pound Mozzarella cheese, sliced
• 1/4 pound Provolone cheese,sliced
• 1 cup olive salad with oil

Split a muffuletta loaf or a loaf of Italian bread horizontally. Spread each half with equal parts of olive salad and oil. Place meats and cheeses evenly on bottom half and cover with top half of bread. Cut in quarters.

Enjoy!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-07 01:00 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-07 01:07 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-07 01:26 ]

No dinner tonight to post, but did make some desert..

Cinnamon Crêpes

A

Dinner and some teevee:

first- a Root and root beer frosty drink

then, salmon with tamari and fresh ginger, baked in a cast iron skillet in the oven (got too dark to grill outdoors)
salad greens (Romaine and wild arugula) with tomatoes and blue cheese, balsamic.
Marble taters baked on metal skewers, crusty rye.

Aqua Teen Hunger Force (number 1 in the hood, G)

AMY! been awhile! ATHF! All Hail Der Inflatable Hitler!
http://video.adultswim.com/aqua-teen-hunger-force/but-i-love-ze-waterboy.html

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-07 01:17 ]

A

Oh yeah I meant to say: Season 2. How can they be so frigkkgin funny?
The movie was amazing as well. Did you catch that in the theater a few years ago?

Loving that muffalatta! They used to sell small slices of that sammich at Andronico's for
about 6 bucks- ridiculously expensive, but once in a while we'd splurge. I'll try this one at home, thank you!

Everything looks luscious! I have to try Muffuletta one of these days

Amy, we don't get marble potatoes- the smallest I find is the finger potatoes. And what is "Root" (80 proof)?

I'm cooking PseudoGreek tonight but I'll be at my daughter's house - we'll see if I get pictures.

A

I'd never seen the marble potatoes before the other day. Cute as hell!!
Making some more tonite.

OK, not sure if you would call it PsuedoGreek or Greek Inspired, maybe Greek Fusion - but I don't think your Greek grandmother would recognize it :lol:

Mini Kreatopita- made with Fillo dough, ground beef, rice, potatoes, tomatoes and traditional Greek spices (including cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves)
Greek Potato Salad - with lemon juice, olive oil, marinated artichoke hearts, Cavender's Greek Seasoning, celery, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese.
Greek Salad - with Feta Cheese, Kalamata Olives, Grape Tomatoes

Not pictured Pita Chips & Red Pepper Hummus, and Date Halvah (dates, ghee, assorted nuts & coconut)

Sounds great! I have had a recipe for kreatopita for awhile but have not made it yet?
Any advice on making it?
Back to the Oscars....

I made mine in a jumbo muffin pan. Several layers of fillo brushed with olive oil pressed into the pan, filled with meat mixture, then several more fillo squares laid over the top and the corners tucked in.

There are lots of recipes on the net using cubed or ground lamb but I don't eat lamb :) Those fillo nest would be awesome filled with chili and cheese!

Sorry,I have not been cooking this week, hope some of you can make up for it! I know MadDog has been busy to.

A

Been cooking, just not snapping...cooking more of the same, as well...
Meatballs! Sauces, sausages, salads, tacos, sometimes a yogurt for dinner.
Season 3 ATHF.

Honey Maple Turkey breast slices , Chedder cheese,and Raisen bread!

A

That is one sweeeeet sandwich, tikiville!

Now here's dinner for breakfast: meatballs in tomato mushroom sauce on toasty ciabatta w/melty provolone

Welcome Tikiville!
Nice take on a Meatball sandwich Amy.

Mmmmmm :P

Been busy running around today so I pulled Chipotle Pork Chops from the freezer and I thought - WWBFD? (What would Bobby Flay do? :lol: )

So I grilled the chops, made some guacamole with avocados, sour cream and grape tomatoes, and made it into tacos. Very good, reminded me of Al Pastor Tacos you buy at a street vendor on the other side of the border.

I was going to make Al Pastor Tacos tonight,but.....wife is working late, so maybe another night.
Sounds really good, MDM.

OGR

My daughter's Birthday, she requested...Shashlik....A Turk/Russian kebab (marinated skewered lamb) grilled to perfection combined with vegetables served over "real" Saffron Rice w/ scallions. My wife Kim is someone my daughter (Kate) and I refer to as a "spice ho". She has tons, and Penzey's Spices is her "crack house". I started w a semi boneless leg of lamp which I meticulously trimmed (why you see some smaller pieces, as I am a freak about cutting and trimming, which I truly enjoy)and Kim marinated in her awesome concoction (you must try it)for 24+ hours. Skewer the veggies and meat... then grill (watch the flame) and serve over a mountain of Saffron Rice. The serving vessel is a huge pasta bowl, so as you can imagine, mucho leftovers! Add a nice Greek Dimitra Red wine. This is our #1 favorite meal.

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2010-03-12 07:21 ]

A

BOOKMARKED!!!

Nicccceeeee Rummy, Thanks for posting, maybe you want to give up the recipe?
I think Amybean concurs?

Looks delicious (even though I'm not a fan of lamb) I was just reading about pincho moruno, a Spanish pork kebab that I'm gonna have to try.

"spice ho", that funny 'cuz spice is the spice of life :)

Hey MDM, I would like to hear more about that dish?

I saw it in a magazine (waiting at the doctor's office Wednesday morning) From the recipes I looked at it is pork seasoned predominately with smoked paprika, cumin, & crushed red pepper. Skewered, grilled, and served as a tapa.

And you bring this up now? did you write down the recipe? because this sounds good!
I would like to try it out.

I am brining a pork roast for something this weekend.

A

I just stuck a batch of cardamom pistachio + cacao nibs biscotti in the oven.

Classic Mai Tai fixins on the bar for happy hour in .....28 min...

Happy Weekend, all ya'll ! Will try to remember to take PIX

Sounds like a good start Amy, you have a great one.

Amy I love cardamom, it's really never used in American food. My Indian co-worker uses it in everything, especially desserts. If I remember right, it's a little expensive (like silver expensive, not like gold/saffron expensive)

On 2010-03-12 15:42, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
And you bring this up now? did you write down the recipe?

Rum?'s kababs made me think of it. The magazine just mentioned it, no recipe - but there are lots of recipes on the 'net

cardamom is used in danish cooking, also in alot of deserts, I have family members still in the DK send it when I run out.

Good to have family in other countries!

A

When I think of Danish flavors, I think of caraway and dill! That's very interesting, ATP- what Danish dishes do you make with cardamom? I can only think of some powdered sugar cookies. (my ex in-laws are from Denmark, but not great cooks)

Yes, used in many Indian dishes, and a little bit goes a long way, so not that expensive, really. I only used 1/2 tsp of the powdered in the biscotti. Sometimes toss a few pods into a batch of quinoa. With raisins, and the very fragrant garam masala!!

http://www.thokalath.com/cuisine/spice_guide.php

Who else wants to photograph their spice rack? I have to pull them out of the cupboard- maybe later today.
Or Got Rum? maybe started a new theme :) I love looking at spices! They make me happy.

Hi Amy,
Cardamom is of course used in Cakes & Cookies, Danish Pancakes,Meatballs, gravys,Danish Remoulade which the Danes put on everything!
Some open faced sandwich toppings etc.

Vikings brought the spice home through their extensive trade route with India and the Far East.

I am making dinner so I will post a bit later!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-13 19:19 ]

A

Danish Remoulade- do tell!

On 2010-03-13 21:40, amybean wrote:
Danish Remoulade- do tell!

The closest thing to it in the US is a Tartar Sauce, The Danes use it like ketchup, made in a few different flavors, like curry etc.
I never liked it myself, I prefer mustards.

I have posted this meal before,but not like this....

First...Dinner: Cuban Sandwich with Deli style Macaroni salad

Movie: "Up in the Air"

Dinner step by step......
First up,heat the oven to 350 degrees, I prepped a pork roast by marinating it in brine & spices for 48 hours
put the pork roast in the oven for 1 hour.

Next I am going to make Deli Style Macaroni salad as a side dish...

Cooked a bag of elbow macaroni til firm, slice up green onions,celery,red pepper add fresh pepper & salt,sweet relish, mayonnaise

Time to take out the pork roast, let in rest for a bit....

Remove the bone & trim the fat off, thin slice the roast....

Time to put it all together....
Need some good Ham, courtesy of Honey Baked Hams...

Mustard,mayonnaise,jarlsberg swiss cheese, Sweet Hawaiian Buns, Deli pickles

Prep some buns...

Grill some onions...

Throw some Pork roast & Ham in a pan for a moment...

Now in a grill pan, layer meat,cheese,meat,cheese, pickles, bun and a press...

Put in all together and you get this...

A Hell of a lotta work just for a damn sandwich!!!
mind you it is a damn good! sandwich.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-14 00:44 ]

Looks awesome ATP. Got a chance to taste those in Miami and they were really good. Also ate a good Cuban pork sandwich at Rum Jungle in Las Vegas

Comments:
What did you use to brine the pork?
Couldn't you just use a pork loin and skip the de-boning?
I showed my wife the pic, she thinks you're supposed to use dill relish in salads (she's wrong!)
I can't believe you don't cure and smoke your own hams :D just kidding!

A

No kidding that is a LOT of work for a sammich! I call them the 1000 ingredients meals- wow. I'm sure they were amazing. Thanks for the complete A-Z.

My husband has a thing against sweet relish as well- but I agree- sweet is the way to go in salads...for dillness, I'd use capers or olives, eh?

OGR

ATP, Awesome looking sandwich and salad. Kim just made mac salad also, except we are not fans of relish in salad, so we go w/ fresh flat leaf Italian parsley and a touch of dijon mustard to brighten it up. MDM, I always have good luck w/ boneless pork loin for Cubans, as a local store has a killer (1.99 lb) whole BL pork loins on sale every other week or so. Many different dishes come from that 7+ lb monster.

[ Edited by: Or Got Rum? 2010-03-14 14:54 ]

TT

ATP, the Deli Style Macaroni salad looks yummy! I want some now!

Thanks all!
So the skinny is this, I only used the Bone in Pork Roast,because that was what we had in the freezer,A nice Bonless Roast would have cooked faster & would have been ready to carve up out of the oven,less work for me!

The brine I used was a solution of salt,sugar, dry herbs, garlic, allspice, paprika, bay leaves to infuse a caribbean flavor to the pork
MDM, you do not need to brine the pork at all, I just do with cheaper cuts of meat, for flavor & tenderness.
This is not a requirement for Cuban Sandwiches, you guy's can make the Pork Roast any way you like.

As for Relish, I like Dill Relish, Mrs. ATP likes Sweet Relish, so who do you think wins the Relish war?
and I like to make all different sorts of Potato & Pasta salads, The Deli Style is one of my wifes favorites,so as she wishes!

If you think I go all crazy on a Cuban Sandiwich, wait til you see my "Gourmet Mac-N-Cheese"

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies