Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

Very nice! Were you able buy poi someplace or did you make it? Can you eat the taro and ti leaves like steamed greens?

A

wait....WHAT??

:lol: :lol: :lol: "dirty laundry!" I was trying to figure out how that picture was related to poi or ti leaves? :lol:

After I posted the pic of my fridge, I was so embarassed :blush: by the clutter that I cleaned it out. I was tempted to edit my post with a new pic but decided against it :D

A

I think we can be pretty sure ATP has some of the exact same things that we do:
chocolate sauce
hot sauce
soy sauce
Lea & Perrins
eggs
milk
juice
ketchup
mustard
bbq sauce
jams
limes
salad dressings
pickles

I've got a few kinds of ume plums in there- thank goodness they keep really well.
Nice to pull out for a Snack Attack!

E

MadDogMike: I made the poi myself. It's not difficult at all; just steam a taro root for about half an hour, peel it and mash it. Stir in some water until it reaches a nice creamy consistency. I added salt and a few other spices but it was still pretty bland.

The taro leaves are edible (after they've been cooked - don't try them raw!) and quite good. They bring a warm, salty, sea-food-ish sort of taste to the party.

The ti leaves are definitely not edible. They're more like the foil package for the stuff inside.

[ Edited by: Ekomomai 2010-07-20 09:48 ]

Thanks, kinda like making mashed potatoes. Maybe it could be made edible by adding ginger and or garlic? Both are roots and at least semi-tropical :D

They sometimes ferment the poi somehow, have you tried that too - does it get better or worse? :lol:

Mike asks: WHAT A MINUTE ATP! the answer is 60 seconds Mike,and before you can ask "WHAT A HOUR ATP!" your answer would be 60 Minutes or
3600 seconds, hope that helps!

Ekomomai making traditional hawaiian Food, Excellent! (But my own sensibilities compare Taro Leaves to eating Tobacco Leaves)

Amybean, How did you know the exact contents of my fridge? are you freaky psychic! I mean I am just a bit unsettled, A Question: when will I die?
or are you the one who has been taking my yogurts? the mixed fruit ones,not the fruit on the bottom ones! nobody likes those.

"WHAT A MINUTE ATP!"

Drats! Foiled by my own poor spelling! :lol:

E

My last foray into eating tobacco leaves was when my uncle handed me a pinch of Skoal when I was nine. Talk about a retch-fest, it was like swallowing a cigar-flavored grenade. With mint.

I kind of like Taro leaves. If they're cooked thoroughly enough, they're nice and tender and taste pretty good.

As for fermented poi - didn't try that. Supposedly the "ambient environment" provides the correct flora for fermentation, though in my kitchen that flora may not be as helpful/friendly as the kind you'd find in the tropics: may produce something horribly wrong.

OK I am Laughing now!!! and I don't need no stinking smiley faces!

Thanks E!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-20 18:28 ]

A

No sticking smiley faces, ATP.....

just the All Seeing Lime Coconut Popsicle Oracle, who KNOWS what you have in your fridge.
(though not much else)

I had to let Mike know he's not the only bad speller here!

The all seeing Popsicle!!!!!
I will now return to that post for correction!

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-20 18:27 ]

I just had to share....
Look what Mike sent to me!
Thanks a whole hell of a lot Mike! super cool!

A

Unleash the Kraken!!!!!!!

You notice I ate the Kraken Balls before I sent it :lol:

Hey it's Dinner time!
Tonight.... Huevos Rancheros with Homemade Salsa & Tortilla chips

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM I love Brefeses for dinner sometimes.

But I don't get the lunch or dinner food for Brefeses.
who the hell wants steak or chicken fried steak for Brefeses.

I don't want any other meat on my plate in the morning but pork products dammit.

Jeff(btd)

Pork is the Breakfast of Champions! (or is that beer?)

You got some fine huevos there ATM :D

Fine huevos indeed! That looks really good!

A

Speaking of huevos:
I had hoped to make one dish or another, but realized I was missing key ingredients
for either or any known direction. So,

I tossed a bunch of ingredients into a pot to simmer:
Udon, chard, yukon gold taters, garlic, ginger,
chicken broth, soy sauce

and then poured them over other ingredients in a bowl:
boiled egg, roasted chicken, carrots, cucumber,
red onion, tiny dried fish, hot chili oil

and hoped for the best.

PS- it turned out mighty tasty!

Soba! you made kitchen sink Soba!

Kitchen Sink Soba :lol: Looks good to me.

My wife is on a low fat diet for the next 2 weeks so I may not be making much that's picture worthy. Tonight was Grilled Chicken with Costco Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. No pic, but it was surprisingly good for being so healthy :lol:

Raspberry Chipotle Sauce is pretty good, I like to marinate Pork Tenderloins for 24 hours in it
then BBQ them up for Tacos, sweet & Spicy...

A

Kitchen Sink, Yeah!

btw- Soba are the skinny noodlorz, made of buckwheat flour
Udon are these big fat ones, made of regular wheat flour
Both are super yum.

I stand corrected Amy, Kitchen Sink Udon!

I make many types of Taco's, But most people know the Taco's your Mom made you,growing up
I call them White Man's Taco's and for most people its the only kind of Taco's they know.

When you just don't have the time to make authentic Mexican street Taco's with Carne Asada or Al Pastor
I love Smoked Pork Tacos,myself,so many other choices!

But Mom made them with Ground Beef,Lettuce,Cheese in a crispy corn tortilla.
when you have to get dinner fast, this is the way to go, but me? I just can't make anything plain.

My take is Ground Beef,sauteed with fresh onions,Garlic,jalapenos,chipotle peppers
in a crisp corn tortilla, thin sliced lettuce,Cheddar & Jack cheese & topped with homemade salsa

Homemade Chips & Salsa

A

De-lish! I know what you mean about Mom's tacos. It's a particular comfort food that you took to the next level with
the fine tuned seasoning, and the fresh salsa.

(I forgot to take pictures of my roasted eggplant with home made tomato/basil sauce and two cheeses.)

Hooray for FRIDAY!

A

OK- I challenge you all to use some of that chocolate sauce that I know you have on your fridge door.

I plopped 3 overripe bananas into the food processor this afternoon, instead of tossing them like I normally do.
Added some peanut butter, honey, a pinch of salt, a dash of 1/2 & 1/2 and some chopped pecans. They say mashed and
frozen bananas chill up like ice cream, and they kinda did.

No Chocolate Syrup Challenge tonight for me - I'm working on the Low Fat Post-Cholecystectomy Challenge. Tonight Grilled Chicken Panini with Low Fat Pesto (fresh basil, non-fat cream cheese, garlic, a touch of Parmesan Cheese & olive oil). No side dish, we've been snacking all day :) Dessert is a Stawberry Triffle (angelfood cake, strawberry jello, frozen sliced strawberries, and strawberry yogurt) They were both unnervingly good. I say "unnervingly" because I believe fat to be one of the 4 basic food groups and I can't imagine that food can be good without it :lol:

Tuna poke, coconut shrimp, fried plantains with savory coconut sauce and ginger-lime chicken with a pineapple rum sauce.

The tuna poke is basically Ceviche; marinated in lime and seasoned rice wine vinegar with ginger and green onions. It was a bit strong on the lime; I wasn't confident in the ability of the small amount of lime juice called for in the recipe to actually "cook" the fish, so I added three times as much. I can say with confidence that the 2 tbs of lime juice is enough; too much lime juice and it's a pucker-fest. But good. THis is meant to be served as an appetizer, along with fried wonton chips or some other substrate.

The fried plantains were simple; cut green plantains into 1/2 thick rounds, season and fry, serve with the sauce. The sauce is basically a white sauce made with coconut milk, adding green onions and a little vanilla. This is always a tasty combination.

Coconut shrimp was made from a recipe provided by Alton Brown: dredge peeled, deveined shrimp in corn starch, dip in egg wash, coat in coconut, deep fry for 3 minutes or so. I forgot to season them though: salt, pepper, cayenne. It needs it.

The ginger-lime chicken was simple: marinate chicken chunks in seasoned rice wine vinegar and salt for an hour, sear them in a tbsp of canola oil. Stir in green onion and ginger, let cook on low for fifteen minutes or so. I made a pineapple rum sauce earlier using pineapple juice, apricot nectar, lime juice, passion fruit syrup (Aunty Lilikoi), brown sugar and Coruba rum. This gets reduced down until it becomes a thick syrup (it takes a while). I was in a rush to get the picture and sit down and eat so the rum sauce didn't actually make it to the photo here.

A

Looks good! Thanks for the recipes- been wanting to try making coconut shrimp. You make it sound easy!

It all looks great Amy (except the shrimp :D )

Another Low-Fat Special tonight. I found a tube of Moroccan Spice blend today - Cilantro, Garlic, Ginger, Cumin, Chili Pepper, Lemon Grass, Onion & Black Pepper with a little Canola Oil. I used it to spice some grilled chicken with grape tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce in pita bread and pearl/Israeli couscous. Washed down with a Bundaberg Australian Ginger Beer (no Kraken tonight)

MDM,You made a Chicken Gyro!
I wish I had one of those vertical rotisserie's to make Gyro's & Taco's with!

Oooops, I credited Amy with Ekomomai's meal :blush: Sorry Ekomomai!

Lance, my bro made a vertical roaster and used it a couple of times for Gyros and for tacos al pastor - YUMMY!!!

Dinner is Served....
Tonight we are having "Penne with Garlic & Rosemary Alfredo sauce" Topped with Bacon

A

Topped with Bacon.

Are there 3 finer words in the English language?

You know that joke where you answer every statement with "in bed"
I think it works with "Topped with Bacon" just as well

1st Person: "What is you special tonight?"
2nd Person: "Topped with Bacon"

Yeaaaaa sweet! Topped with Bacon! I need a drink.....

Hey MDM, that dish is not! a lowfat dish by the way.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-07-27 21:40 ]

A

HAHA I was totally thinking that, ATP!!

"...in bed" that was such a time. 80's radio?

"Hey MDM, that dish is not! a lowfat dish by the way"
Ya think???!!! :lol:

Looks great - another week or so of this low fat and I'm gonna make my wife somethin' topped with bacon! :D

I fired up the smoker today for ribs and a mango/pineapple stuffed pork loin - tasty! Mrs MadDog made Zucchini AuGratin, Baked Beans, Cornbread (Oklahoma Wedding Cake :D ) Crockpot Mac & Cheese, and two pies from scratch as we celebrated my Forty-Twelfth birthday

Happy Birthday Mike! wish I knew ahead of time.
The spread looks GREAT! as is your day I hope.

52,that makes you a Mid-Century Modern Man!

52!!!??? What are you talking about? I'm only forty-twelve! :lol:

And on the other side of Mike's Birthday Dinner
We have Cheese Stuffed Burgers....Jack & Cheeder cheese stuffed in a BBQ Burger,then Topped with PEPPERJACK!
might just give you a heart attack!

Droooool

when you gonna invite me Over ATP?

:(

Jeff(btd)

A

Happy Forty-Twelve Day, MDM! What a feast!

I can cook most anything,So when I ask Mrs.TikiPunk what she would like for dinner
and she tells you "Breakfast" you have to do a double take,then make Breakfast!

So here's Brenner or is it Dinfast?
Ham,Sheared eggs,Rosemary Potato's,Bacon & sourdoug toast

Wow!!
yummy.

I love me some Brefeses for dinner.
or late at night after a show, when you are still kinda drunk.

can you say Harbor House down the street from Dons?
been there done that.
:o

Jeff(btd)

A

Double Meats!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies