Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

T

Soon as it serves up, ATP

T

First grill of spring:

Toasty coconut

Sabupalooza!

Atomic Tiki Ninja
culinary assassin

Excellent on the Sabu Chicken & the Southpark Kenny/Ninja pic, boyz!

:)

This potato recipe has been floating around the interwebs so I thought I would try it. Slice a potato almost all the way thru, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake at 425 for 40 minutes. I thought I'd kick it up a notch it up a little BAM! I also added some garlic powder and put several salami slices inside. When it came out of the oven I sprinkled it with Parmesan cheese. Delicious!

Mike, you are decadent!
David : )

Mr Tiki III's last meal before heading out on the road earlier
French Onion Soup & a side salad.

Next day, Pan Seared Pork Chops with a Rosemary Balsamic reduction
and buttered noodles.

Thanks for feeding Mr Tiki so well ATP :)

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies "baked" on the camp stove griddle in El Golfo Mexico. Pretty tasty!

BACON!

White Pot (NO not that kind) it is a 18th century bread pudding, with dates and crasins. Cooked in a dutch oven in our fire pit then topped with caramelized sugar and a sweet sherry butter sauce.

That is something I have never seen or tried, thanks for posting!

I'm not a big fan of bread pudding (it's a texture thing), but that looks really good. I am a big fan of things cooked in a Dutch Oven on a campfire.

I got nostalgic for a few minutes & took a look back on this thread and damn!
there is some crazy good food here, now I am hungry!

Yes ATP, there is LOTS of good food here :)

I am a big fan of "semi home-made": ready to bake puff pastry shells, ready made strawberry glaze on fresh strawberries, ready made strawberry cream cheese (in the bottom), melted dark chocolate chips, and canned whipped cream make a quick but elegant dessert.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, May 4, 2014 5:59 PM

Mad Doggie -

You should open a restaurant. I'll be banging on the front door the first day. Here's my credit card. GO.

YES! Ready-to-bake puff pastry and whipped cream can be paired into so many fresh deserts it's incredible.

Try frying (really quick, like 10 seconds on each side) strawberries with a touch of butter, or blueberries, cherries etc. and top some just-cooked puff pastry squares with a dab. Incredible. You can also squirt some ready-whipped cream into a small bowl and mix in a spoonful of rum, orange liqueur, etc. before adding to the very top. Super fancy deluxe lo-cal desserts ready in minutes.

Cinco De Mayo BBQ!

DC

Dusty- did u cook that or is it a postcard?

Jon

Love those colors DC. 100% organic & natural I assume? :wink:

Oreo/Peanut Butter Brownies in a muffin pan

G
GROG posted on Sat, May 17, 2014 11:59 PM

Send to GROG.

You actually could get those colors naturally, turmeric for the yellow and achiote paste for the red.

I just finished all 133 pages of the thread. Some awesome looking food. I look forward to putting some of my stuff up although sadly I won't be as prolific as MDM, ATP, and AmyBean.

Storm

PS that Dutch oven bread pudding looks awesome, I thought I made everything possible in a Dutch oven but now I have something new to try.

Look forward to it stormrider

So yesterday I made chipotle salsa grilled chicken with tropical rice and black beans.First I needed the salsa and in order to get salsa I had to go the farmers market and get tomatoes and green peppers. So I drove down and picked up 50#s of tomatoes and a box of peppers plus some jalapenos and a couple of watermelons.

Then I was able to make dinner

I figured I should make a drink out of the watermelon so I whipped up a quick cooler to go with it:

Storm

I all looks great. Love the watermelon cooler, may have to do that tonite

Nothing special tonight just a piece of herb crusted baked chicken with some broccoli with Alfredo sauce.

Storm

Looks good to me!

I love Bread Pudding, that looks good...I will be back later with a Hawaiian version of Bread Pudding.

In the meantime, here is a simple salad to make. The only other item that would kick it up a notch would be bacon bits, but as is, it is low in calories and I suggest using red grapefruit from the jar (just drain liquid).

GRAPEFRUIT & AVOCADO SPINACH SALAD
Yield: 4 servings
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 5 minutes

This light and refreshing salad works great with any and all of your favorite citrus fruit. Try a combination of grapefruit, orange and lime to really kick this salad up a notch!
Ingredients

16 oz. baby spinach, washed and ready–to–eat
2 grapefruits, segmented
2 avocados, medium dice
¼ red onion, julienne

Preparation

Arrange washed spinach in a salad bowl. Place grapefruit segments, avocado and onion in a work bowl and toss well. Spoon citrus, avocado and onion mixture over spinach and serve.

Hawaiian version of Bread Pudding....yes! tell me more....

Hmmmm. I have "texture issues" with soggy bread. But post the recipe and I'll ACT like it sounds good to me :lol: :wink: :D

That salad looks amazing. I have done similar with strawberries before and love the idea of the avacado. Maybe a couple dashes of balsamic vinegar for a zing?

Can't wait to see the bread pudding. One of my favorites and a Hawaiian twist sounds ideal.

• Dale

Here ya go...you could cover with a rum sauce when served, but this is a very rich bread pudding and you don't really need it. Maybe have a sipping rum on the side to wash down the deliciousness.

KING'S HAWAIIAN SWEET BREAD PUDDING

1 King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread (16 ounces)
Raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg for sprinkling
3 cups milk
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups butter, melted
9 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Break bread into large pieces. Place into buttered 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle raisins, cinnamon, and nutmeg over bread pieces. In saucepan, combine milk, sugar, and butter; heat to boiling point. Remove from heat; add beaten eggs. (Be careful that milk mixture is not too hot that it could curdle eggs.) Add vanilla; mix and pour over bread, making sure bread is soaked. Sprinkle more cinnamon and nutmeg over pudding if desired. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until knife inserted in middle of pudding comes out clean.

Like I said, not a big fan of bread pudding but the Hawaiian Bread does intrigue me. Here's how I would modify that recipe:

MIKE'S KING'S HAWAIIAN SWEET BREAD

1 King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread (16 ounces)
Cinnamon, nutmeg for sprinkling
3 cups butter

Break bread into large pieces. Place into 9x13 inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over bread pieces. In saucepan, melt the butter. Pour butter over the bread and serve.
:lol:

Slow day for work, so I started up the Smoker

Smoked Chicken Breasts
Homemade Mac-N-Cheese with Jalapeno
Loaded Baked Potatoes
Some good old fashioned Rosemary Corn

For a friends party I made a batch of
Orange Peel infused Rich (double strength) Simple Syrup
bottled it up and smacked a label on it.

This is very tasty for many drinks, but it rocks an Old Fashioned!

Ok...headed to ATPs for some dinner. That M&C looks amazing and I just cant turn down a good stuffed baked potato!

The bread pudding sounds yummy. Mike, I'm thinking maybe a little more than butter for that recipe. LOL I'm wondering if you could sub some crushed pineapple for the raisins and maybe add a bit of rum to the milk mixture to really boost that "hawaiian" feel. Might have to give that recipe a try as is first. I just can't leave well enough alone sometimes.

Thanks for sharing the recipe VRN.

• Dale

I agree Dale...you all really need to try the Hawaiian Bread Pudding true to the recipe than after that you will know how you want to adjust it.

ATP...do you deliver?

My version would be: Eat a dry King's Hawaiian roll & drink a side of rum.

How do you guys all have the time & energy to make such amazing food all the time?!

I guess we fall into the "Live to Eat" category
cooking really is an art unto itself, for us
and why I started this thread, my opinion is Food & Drink
is as much a part of Mid-Century Tiki as all the aesthetics
we also assign to it.

Simple dinner tonight. Chicken kabobs prepared and seasoned by our local Von’s. Finished with a Key Lime Pie which was devoured before I could get a pic.
Cheers

Vamp- gona print that 1 n give it a try
ATP- send some the Vegas next time
Nui- send some to Vegas next time

Lance,
CeCe and I just finished our dinner and dat baked potato of yours (two day’s ago) has our mouts watering! Truly decadent!
H10, expect a delivery this summer.
So sorry we missed you at Caliente. We gotta Slam down a couple soon. CeCe say’s she’ll drive.
Later,
David

[ Edited by: tikitanker2 2014-06-07 22:55 ]
Tikitanker is my alter ego. Long story.
Nui (David)

[ Edited by: tikitanker2 2014-06-07 22:58 ]

Well Thanks! David

I hung with your brother & his lady at Tiki Caliente for a short while
but missed you.

David- 2 names? :)

Vamp- the spousal unit made it
She used 1/3 of the butter
Wow, it was awesome
Thanks
Had it for lunch, looks like it will be dinner too

Edit- yep, had it for dinner too :)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-06-10 08:43 ]

On 2014-06-09 16:41, hang10tiki wrote:
David- 2 names?

Yeah Jon, I’ll get back to you tomorrow when I can see straight. Yust got back from the Hut in P S.
Later,
David

David- sounds like u had fun...

On 2014-06-09 16:41, hang10tiki wrote:
David- 2 names? :)

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-06-10 08:43 ]

I was unable to log in so I created a new account (TikiTanker) which enabled me to contact a moderator-Hakalugi. The Hak quickly squared me away. Every now and then I use Tikitanker inadvertently.
Later,
William

Are you sure you were not "TikiTanked" David... :)

Fire Roasted Potato Salad

I pre-baked the potatoes then fire roasted them along with the corn, cherry tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and bell peppers. I didn't fire roast the black beans or cilantro :wink:

Mixed it all up with some chipotle mayo, quite tasty with a bit of a kick

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies