Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

What's "Cooking" in Tiki Central?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3,027 replies

On 2009-12-30 20:01, MadDogMike wrote:
Dinner was Crockpot Chicken & Rice, tasty but not picture worthy.

But on Mt Hibachi in the Pupu Lagoon, Tropical S'mores were roasting on the Sterno flame... Kraft Jet-Puffed Toasted Coconut Marshmallows, Hershey's Milk Chocolate, and homemade Pineapple/Macadamia cookies

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2009-12-30 20:03 ]

Yes, Rice Pudding looks a bit boring, but was sure tasty! so no picture also.

On the menu tonight....
Classic Spaghetti & Meatballs.

Sorry I have been under the weather as of late, got back to cooking tonight.
Tonights menu......
Vietnamese Pho with char sui pork

OK I had to bump this thread because the "Make Your Own Falernum" thread was at the top, Unacceptable!
So where are all the cooks,chefs & foodies here on TC.

I want to see some crazy meals served up with photos of course, please, please people, don't let the "Make Your Own Falernum"
Thread over shadow the meal you have every night, don't let me down!

Now get to cooking, maddogmike, back me up here, your our goto chef.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-07 02:56 ]

12 hour shifts :( maybe tomorrow night :lol:

A

OMG Atomic you are hilarious. Have not been cooking much lately.
How about a shot of my beloved Weber Spirit:

Hi Amy,
We could have a sub-thread about BBQ, to me BBQ is a Religion to be practiced methodically & often.
Also I was thinking when we have enough meals posted here, maybe we could have a vote from TCers on their favorite meal posted.

I see the " Make Your Own Falernum" has tried once again to steal our Thunder! they task me,they task me....
this shall not pass, We had Pizza tonight,so sorry I have nothing to post this evening, so instead I leave you Falernum folk with this...

To quote Moby Dick "from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

Falernum!!!!

A

Crikey I have so many shots of meals in the past....

Chicken Picata with Capers, Angelhair Pasta, Veggies w/Peppers and Potatoes

A

Portion control extraordinaire! I don't think I would be so restrained. Trying to decide if I feel like cooking tonite. This is inspiring alrighty!

Niccceee MadDog, a classic dish & amy we are missing your posts, I know the quality of seafood up in NorCal is much better then what I get here at the beach, on the ocean, in SoCal, fishermen & everything, bad fish! I am just saying?

I really dig our little trips up to San Francisco, because the food is so much better then what Orange County has to offer.

On 2010-01-08 18:42, amybean wrote:
Portion control extraordinaire! I don't think I would be so restrained.

:lol:
About 5 years ago my wife and I started eating from salad plates instead of dinner plates, smaller portions look larger on a smaller plate but I was trying to show off for the picture with a fancy plate :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take that falernumites!

Hey MadDogMike, do you do the cooking for your family? or share the task with the wife?

I do all the cooking in my household, but my wife likes to make baked goods now & then, otherwise I make all the meals.

come to think of it! I do the house cleaning,sewing and gardening.
Wait! oh my god, I am the wife! in this marriage!

My wife and I both enjoy cooking. On the days I work, I don't get home until 8pm - a little late to cook dinner. Most of the time it's just the two of us since my son is always at school or work (or hanging out with his friends) so we cook big and eat a lot of leftovers :)

I did notice one thing; when she cooks, I often clean. But when I cook I have to clean the kitchen 'cuz I'm a messy cook. What's up with that!!! :lol:

A

I do most of the cooking, while Sweetie B rules in the Let's Eat Out Dept.
Cooking today finally! A large pan of eggplant parmagiana. Sorry the pix are blurry- almost
forgot to take them at all!

Fresh basil, thyme, oregano, Italian parsley, celery, carrot, garlic, white vermouth, salt & pepper simmered in olive oil as a base for tomato sauce.

Add Pomi brand packaged chopped tomatoes plus tomato paste, bit of red wine, more chopped garlic, all simmering for 2 more hours. (tomatoes packed in metal cans have toxic problems I've learned) Add some sugar if it's too tart.

Baked eggplant slices

All of this disappears once it's layered up with mozzarella cheese, but I'll show ya that later anyhow.

bumping the thread

[ Edited by: amybean 2010-01-09 14:53 ]

A

Ta Da!
Baked eggplant slices, fresh mozz, grated parmesan

Amy,
I love Eggplant Parmigiana, you use my secret ingredient (In my case Sweet Vermouth) in the sauce, I'll substitute red wine when I am out of vermouth, also if you have to use canned Tomatos I have had good luck with Progresso Brand, but Pomi is a good way to go, not to many stores in my area carry it though, I do make the effort and crush my own roma tomatos which I grow in the garden when time is not an issue.
Great job tonight!

Looks great Amy. Does eggplant make everyone's tongue itch or am I allergic to it?

MadDogMike,
Other people report the same thing, I came across this remeady on the Interwebs

"salted and soaked the eggplant in water about 15-30 minutes prior to cooking as it draws out something from the eggplant which can cause the itchy mouth (the water will be brown after soaking)"

Also breading & frying the eggplant seems to alleviate the effect for many people, but some people are just allergic to Eggplant.

Breaded & fried still makes me itch, but I'll give the salting a shot. It's too bad 'cuz I like eggplant.

Outdoor Teppanyaki

Sweet and hot chicken
Spicy chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Shrimp
Veggies
Pork fried rice
and green tea

Outdoor Teppanyaki

Sweet and hot chicken
Spicy chicken
Teriyaki chicken
Shrimp
Veggies
Pork fried rice
and green tea

A

Have you ever made the Flaming Onion Volcano on your teppanyaki?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teppanyaki

I have........
it's fun and makes a great show
I use olive oil and a bit of 151

Welcome closettiki, to the most interesting thread in the world.
The meal you posted sounds great! but the pictures are hard to make out, so I think you may have to make all that great food again.....

And invite all of us over!
This is a long standing rule of this thread......that I just made up....sooooooooo....

A

Oh! Haha I always figured that being or inviting over was implicit in this most awesome thread.

Come on over for dinner if any of you are in town, and we can catch a round or two at the nearby Forbidden Island as well.
The Scorpion Bowl is 10 bucks off on Sunday afternoons.
:drink:

Excellent!!!

Sometimes you just need a Cheese Burger

So I give you a BBQ Bacon Cheese Burger, Hmmmmmmm Bacon

I think it needs a little more cheese....

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-12 00:09 ]

A

What? You don't grill your onions?

On 2010-01-12 10:58, amybean wrote:
What? You don't grill your onions?

Sometimes grilled, sometimes Fresh cut,I got home late & had to feed the wife, so the quickest path from the BBQ to the table was in order
Normally we like to do my Island burgers, Teriyaki & grilled pineapple with the grilled onions.

A

Good on ya!

Nothing to exciting to post tonight.
So what do you guys make ahead of time when you have to work late,but still need to have something for dinner,ready to go?

last night I made Cranberry Chicken Salad for sandwiches & Macaroni Salad,it tastes better the next day.

On 2010-01-15 00:26, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
So what do you guys make ahead of time when you have to work late,but still need to have something for dinner,ready to go?

I just made a big lasagna last night, it'll last us a few days. We just finished up a crock pot of smoked brisket and BBQ sauce that we made sandwiches out of. We're good at eating leftovers :)

A

Been sauteeing with ghee n' garlic lately- gets better high temp than reg butter.

Shrimp, red pepper, onion, potato, green beans, dinosaur kale.
Vanilla cupcakes with Nutella frosting.

Nutella frosting? Hmmm...sounds interesting

A

I'd seen it on a food blog or someplace... Yummy!

Amybean do you clearify your own butter? Mike, when I Smoke pork loins or brisket, we eat that for days,
I like to make smoked pulled pork taquitos with the leftovers to.

when you mentioned ghee, I have been thinking of making some Indian food, Chicken Tiki Masala yum!

I will post the recipe for Ghee below for those who want to make their own.

Ingredients:
•1 pound unsalted butter
Preparation:
Using a medium saucepan, heat butter on medium heat.

Allow butter to melt and bring to a boil, stirring. You will notice that the oil will separate itself.
The top will begin to froth; remove froth.
Allow the oil to become clear. Once, clear, remove from heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
After cooling, strain ghee through a very fine strainer into container or jar, or through 3-5 layers of cheesecloth.
Put lid on container and store on shelf.

A

I bought this batch, but it seems easy enough to make. Nice that you can store it on the shelf!

I'm kind of a butter freak, so suddenly I wonder what ghee would be like made with Plugra or
other European styles? Have you experimented with various butters?

On 2010-01-15 13:40, amybean wrote:
I bought this batch, but it seems easy enough to make. Nice that you can store it on the shelf!

I'm kind of a butter freak, so suddenly I wonder what ghee would be like made with Plugra or
other European styles? Have you experimented with various butters?

I only use real butter when I cook, Julia Child is the Patron saint of Butter!
(I don't exactly practice low fat cooking, I do use Olive oil when oil is called for)

I have only used it with French cooking methods i.e.most everything cooked in butter & Indian food.
(Note: for the non cooks out there, Clarified butter & Ghee are the same thing)

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-15 13:57 ]

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-15 23:37 ]

We are having a winter rain storm here in Cali & that means comfort food time,so tonight I am doing Chili Madddnnnness
One big pot of Texas Chili, lots of toppings, Cheese,Tortilias,Hot dogs etc.

Chili Fest!

Pictures are kind of boring,wish Tiki Central had Taste-O-Rama.

Have a good Sunday everybody.

[ Edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-01-17 23:20 ]

A

Sweetie B's been sick, so we had to cancel our little Sunday dinner party with old friends. I made the chicken and mushroom lasagna anyway...
Comfort Food Exraordinaire!! It's got grueyere, ricotta and romano cheeses, shitakis and shredded roast chicken.

Yup- I made 2 medium instead of 1 xtra-large, and stuck it in the freezer. Fingers crossed it'll reconstitute.

Nice one Amy!

Back after a break, straight to it then....

Chicken Tikka Masala with Turmeric Rice & Naan....

A

Yumm! I got Thai take out tonite...

CJ

On 2010-01-20 22:41, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Back after a break, straight to it then....

Chicken Tikka Masala with Turmeric Rice & Naan....

man that looks good

Thanks CocoJoe, it was goooood.
Amy how is the weather up north, we have been getting slammed here in South Cali,I hydroplaned right threw a stop light yesterday, got real lucky no one was crossing threw the intersection at that moment.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 3027 replies