Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

TT

Hi all.. It's Tiki Trav all the way from Australia.. Some of you may remember me from Tiki Oasis 06 this year.. Some of you i don't remember due to so many mai tais!!!
I can be found on myspace too as Tiki Trav!!
Not to sure how this all works but i will give it a shot..
Cheers

T

Aloha!! I go by TikiSass and am currently dating FreddieBallsomic, not that its anyones business, but people from above believe it needs to be announced... Love you all!! TikiSass

On 2006-09-25 18:41, Tiki Trav wrote:
Hi all.. It's Tiki Trav all the way from Australia.. Some of you may remember me from Tiki Oasis 06 this year.. Some of you i don't remember due to so many mai tais!!!
I can be found on myspace too as Tiki Trav!!
Not to sure how this all works but i will give it a shot..
Cheers

Alright Travis - welcome bro!!
Holden

W

hello,

i am michiel, and i am from amsterdam holland. i have Volkswagen T1, u can see it on wakebus.com, it's in a surf, beach style. so i got inspired from some tiki drawings, so i started making some drawings myself, i will post some of my drawings later, in a new topic.

Greats michiel

Howdy! I am new to this site. I was tiki searching and came upon it somehow. I am glad to see I am not alone in my quest for all things tiki! Great site! I love all the pictures. I am relocating to a new state soon so I will be on a new quest to start over with my tiki decorating. Carry on Dudes!

K

Hi everyone-

I have been lurking for a while and have just now gotten up my nerve to join and post. I am a little shy, so I will just wave hello for now. Eek! Er, I mean, Meow.

On 2006-09-25 16:26, theded1 wrote:
Hey Everyone,
I am new and ready to join the insanity of tiki mug appreciation and collecting. This could get scary for my bank account as I have been known to get fanatical about other collecting( you should see my vinyl collection). Anyway, good to be here and I look forward to learning and sharing!

Hey Doll! Good to see you here (and at Forbidden Island). Remember what we talked about with the mugs, "Choose your style and don't get overwhelmed." :wink:

Aloha,
~T

T

Hello
I am new member Jeff from Arizona. I make very unique tiki creations, please check out:

http://www.solchi.com/tiki

I would love feedback!
thank you

D
Dan posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 2:18 AM

I'm Dan, I was living in Lexington KY before I was relocated to Iraq. I started getting into exotica through lounge music and surf/punk(Man or Astroman etc.) about 14 years ago. I had no idea there was such a vibrant community of tiki experts and am glad to have found you.

[ Edited by: Dan 2006-10-04 02:27 ]

On 2006-09-28 04:43, wakebus wrote:
hello,

i am michiel, and i am from amsterdam holland. i have Volkswagen T1, u can see it on wakebus.com, it's in a surf, beach style. so i got inspired from some tiki drawings, so i started making some drawings myself, i will post some of my drawings later, in a new topic.

Greats michiel

Nice site, I like your T1. I hope that de GB did a good job to your T1.
Because i have seen all the American cars they did and that ones all look like shit.

take a look at these pics, there is a beautiful T1 in it

http://mediaservertje.xs4all.nl:8080/nsra/0/index.html

I

Tech your creations are fantastic..

Your kiddin me!

There was some sort of order to the Chaos of TC as to where and when I was supposed to post first? :D

How many posts make me still a "New" Poster?

Was this in the Bylaws?

OK, how dus dis work den?

My name is Dr.TikiMojo. I have da company called TIKI HUNTER.
I am 6 foot tall, have had WAAAAY too many Mai Tai's to admit my weight.
Of da Scotia Islands Ancestry. Married to da Mrs. Mojo who is yet to be on TC but I take her wit me everywhere because I like her PLENTY!
I wear da funny clothes & da Top Hat! I loves da Tiki Lifestyle but it's da Tiki peeps dat make it really fun!
I collected so much stuff dat I finally had to start sellin stuff!

Nuf said here.....you wish to know me, den drink wit me! :o

I would like to take a moment to introduce myself to the good souls that inhabit Tiki Central. My 'nom de plume' as they say is Khan_Tiki_Mon. I am from upstate New York, a land of sometime ice and snow. We dream of warmer climes. I am a married man. My wife is a couple of months younger than I am and she is quite fond of telling people that we are in our late 40s. Truth be told it doesn't get any later than 49. I find it hard to believe that in a matter of months I will be half a century old. I feel very much younger than that. I have been to every state in the US of A except for Washington, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii. I have been to Canada, Mexico, and Costa Rica. I like to think I have more travels and more adventures ahead. As a young boy I read voraciously. In the late 60s and early 70s I was reading anything with travel and adventure in it (a lot from the Golden Age of Science Fiction). I read Kon Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl and I was totally captivated. On special occasions my parents would take us to a Chinese restaurant in Syracuse NY called Soo Lins. When you ordered the pu-pu platter they brought a dish to the table and there was fire. With the blue flames flickering from the mini hibachi I would look and marvel at the menu. It was huge and there seemed to be more space devoted to the exotic cocktails than to the food. This was a world I wanted to explore when I came of age. Alas, by the time I was off to college the scourge we now know as disco had stained the landscape. I have been collecting Tiki for a couple of years now. At first it was just Tiki mugs but the mugs need (no they demand) a place to reside. And so my wife allows the 'Tiki room'. In my quest for Tiki I have learned from others and I hope to share my ideas and to learn more.

Hello everyone! My name is Douglas Seaton, and I am obviously a new member here. I used to be the gallery manager at DC Gallery (here in Denver), where I was fortunate enough to work with several amazing artists, including the very talented and entertaining SHAG. I have since started my own company, Icon Industries, as a means of continuing my work with these artists while I work on opening my own gallery space. Feel free to check it out and let me know what you think!

http://www.icon-industries.com

Choose one:

• Hey, I'm Fred the Cancerian from New Jersey. I like collecting records and exploring the cave of the unknown.

• Hello, I'm Cindy. I'm a Pisces, and I like Chihuahuas and Chinese noodles.

• Hi, my name is Ricky, and I'm a Pisces. I love computers and hot tamales.

• Hey, I'm Kate, and I am a Taurus. I love tomatoes and black-capped Chickadees.

• Hey, my name is Keith, and I'm a Scorpio from Athens, G-A, and I like to find the essence from within.

Sorry, had to do it! But really, my names Dave, I'm married with one son and live in San Clemente, Ca. If you want to know more, just ask :) You can also find me on Myspace under the same screenname...

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank all the TC'ers who make this site so imformative and fun! Mucho mahalos

(all the people at Tikiholics Anonymous, in unison:)

HI DAVE!

On 2006-10-05 16:25, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
I would look and marvel at the menu. It was huge and there seemed to be more space devoted to the exotic cocktails than to the food.

Welcome, Khan!

You've already contributed to this site. I bet several tiki menu and ephemera collectors have now added "Soo Lin" to their eBay search parameters.

Sabu

Hi everyone! waves

My name is Lennard and i live in Rotterdam, Holland. Home of the only Tiki bar and grill in Holland.
Somewhere in the very near future, I will be moving to Dublin to enjoy life on the emerald isle.(and drinking Guinness round the clock).

Tiki Bar rocks.

Hello
I'm from Adelaide in Australia. I've read the forums for a while so I thought I'd better join. Very pleased to take the plunge. Adelaide, I'm afraid, is not much of a tiki town although I did watch the Fiji national rugby team play here earlier this year and they have a rather cool logo on their jumpers!
I've got a small of collection of mugs - nothing too much out of the ordinary for you experienced people but I'm always on the lookout for more.
best wishes
Mark

Hello everyone. I'm a 23 year old graphic designer from Boston, MA that loves everything tiki. In fact I'm suprised I didn't find this site earlier. I like buying tiki items as well as attempting to make my own from various mediums. I love ceramics and have made a few tiki mugs/shot glasses myself. I also enjoy drawing/painting and and have been working on making a series of tiki paintings. I like to collect tiki memoribilia when I come across it in my travels. So far I have ventured to Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Lucia, Antigua, Barbados, Australia and New Zealand. I really liked the Maori style in NZ and took many photos while I was there for ideas of future creations of my own. I plan on posting pictures of some of my creations soon.

I have been looking at this fine Forum for months now and decided to become a member. I have built a great collection of Rum (19 different bottles at last count) and accompaniments and now working on turning a yard shed into a Tiki Bar. This site is full of great ideas to make it happen and have fun in the process.

I am very interested in the "purest" approach to mixoligy. I like to make drinks the way the masters have intended them to be made and see how close I can get to greatness.

Aside from rum I like to spend as much time sailing in the Oakland inner harbor and San Francisco bay. I keep my boat in the triangle of the Forbidden Island, Quinns Lighthouse (pirates and rum are a fine combination) and Trader Vics.

On a final note Hail Vitus! If there are any Clampers in this Forum you know what that means.

Fair Winds and Fine Rum to you all!

K

ALOHA!
Ok, so I have been lurking for quite some time now...
Went to Hukilau '06 --had a BLAST and met so many fantastic people... Mahalo! to all who made me feel so welcomed! I decided I could no longer justify lurking, so here I am. Mahaloz to Holden for encouraging me to become involved...enjoy the 'killer bar'in Mugoomba! Have had a love of surf music and tiki for as long as I can remember. Looks like this is the place to be...Karen.

A

Hello OUDRUNK1,
I've also wondered sometimes if there are any Clampers here on TC. I am not an ECV initiate, but I heard about the glorious tradition from another notorious SF bay area Clamper who has an assortment of alter egos. He shows up at some tiki events sometimes but I don't think he's on TC.

-Randy

Hello, my name is Psycho Tiki D and I'm a tiki-holic! I just can't help myself and nothing I have tried will prevent me from buying and collecting tiki.

Could it be because my motto is "No tiki left behind"?

I have been collecting tiki for around four years or so. Ironically, my buddy got me my first mug, a green Harvey's "Sneaky Tiki" from Lake Tahoe. I was horrified, because I used to give him crap when we would be out looking for treasures and he would buy this stuff and I couldn't figure out why he would waste his money on junk.

This mug sat in my kitchen window for about two years. One day, while doing some spring cleaning, it dawned on me it would be cool to have some more of these, to use for entertaining. I used to see these and others around the thrift stores and flea market for sale at about ten cents to a dollar and also thought they would work well with my other fifties and sixties collectibles, so I made a concerted effort to begin buying all I could find. This lead to purchasing not only mugs, but everything else associated with tiki. Today I have a very nice collection of tiki and Polynesian items...menus, matchbook covers, swizzle sticks, ashtrays, dinnerware, masks, mugs, bowls, carved and stone tikis, salt and pepper shakers, weapons, necklaces, records and jewelery (just to name a few). I really enjoy my tiki bar with my lighted "Primo Beer" Hawaiian Island relief map proudly standing center on the back wall.

I need to thank Duke Carter for his wonderful book "Tiki Quest", I have spent hours
flipping through the pages studying about what is out there. I have nearly worn out the first copy and will eventually need to replace it, since the some of the pages are falling out.

I also want to thank all of you out there who have posted and discuss this genre. I have learned many interesting new things as a result of the topics displayed on this website and I look forward to learning much more and being an active participant in the future.

By the way, my buddy succumbed to my collection (actually, he decided to go with a more "nautical" theme for his house (some tiki included) and was gracious enough to give me back the 6 Mark's Outrigger Cannery Row Green mugs I gave him some years back, more various mugs, as well as a "Pearls of Wisdom" print he had in his storage unit. See ya soon!

S

Like many other people, I've been lurking for a while here and am checking this treasure chest of information daily now.

I'm from Rotterdam, the Netherlands, coincidentally the home of Hollands one and only Tiki bar.
My girlfriend and I are flea market addicts and have been collecting 40s to 60s stuff since we've met, or better: stuffing our too small apartment with kitsch we don't need.

In April this year we finally had our dream come true, we found a 50s home bamboo bar for a reasonable price. We're trying to build our own little mini-bar in our house (but it's really too small here) and with my carpentry skills it could take a year or two.
When it's finished I'll post pictures, I promise.
It's really hard to find tiki related stuff in Europe though.

Other things of interest are music, movies & comics, you know, just your average grown-up kid stuff.
A while back I produced the Dorktones-podcast, that has stopped due to lack of time but I pooped out another two weeks back with some Hawaiiana thrown in.

Psycho Tiki D~ welcome to tc! consider yourself assimilated. your story is the exact carbon-copy of mine (except my first mug was an old bisque hula harvey's girl). ever venture south of sac? we have a little (but growing) contingent of tiki here in the central valley that you need to come check out. on october 29th we are having a tiki art show and sale at minnie's restaurant in modesto and it would be great to see you there.

aloha! :drink:

tikicleen,

Thanks for the welcome!

I have ventured south to the wilds of Modesto CA...my first "Tiki Road Trip" was to your lovely neck of the woods back in 2004!

The original plan was to stay at the Tropics Motel and drink it up all night at the Tiki Bar next door. Plan was canceled when we saw the local natives calling the Tropics their home. Did some drinking in the bar, they were in the process of cleaning up the wall with the graphics under (I guess the smoke-covered walls)and most of the mugs were in storage. I liked the bar and what was left of the motel.

Went to Minnie's for a couple of more drinks before departing into the sunset and heading to the Delta for more drinks and some thrift and antique store purchases. Minnie's was great and I definitely plan on returning. October 29th is in my plans!

Regrets...I had a few...passed on a couple of green "Sun God" mugs from the Islander at an antique store in Stockton because of the price which regretfully I would probably pay double for now.

Again...thanks for making me feel welcome and I will try and make the Minnie's event.

Psycho Tiki D (I know I am but what are you)?

T

OK, here's my introduction--I've been lurking off and on for most of this year (2006), and decided to register just moments ago. We're fairly tiki-free here in central New Jersey, which is unfortunate for tikiphiles like myself. My cubicle at work, where I'm a senior level software designer/developer, is increasingly tikified with all sorts of stuff. I'm working on the blender for the drinks, as urged by my boss and team mates . My family (wife and two small boys) moved recently, and the new house has an inground pool and fullsize unfinished basement, so I've got more stuff to go all polynesiac soon.

D

hello all. I have been here for a little while and enjoy reading and learning more about the tiki life style so I think it my be time to post here.
My name is John I was born and raised in Pasadena Ca. I started collecting and studying "mid century modern' furniture and art and found my way to tiki. I have attended a few so cal events and I am have found that the "tiki people" are as warn and welcoming as any group of people I have ever met. thanks to all of you I have met and i am looking forward to meeting more and sharing in your knowledge of all things tiki.

As you can see, I'm a newish resident of TC and already did my intro but I wanted to say hi and welcome to all the people that have signed up in the past couple weeks.

T

Hi, I'm Thistle, a frustrated gardener who lives in NoVA,-my love of tropical foliage-bananas, palms, etc.; led me to Tiki Central-I'm still trying to create a tropical paradise in a midatlantic region. I have a small, but growing collection of tiki mugs (I still drink beer out of them, will this get me kicked out?), I've acquired the Grog Log & Intoxica & have begun to scout for good rums, I'm trying to plot how to fit a tiki bar in my basement/laundry room, & I'm wondering how to sculpt a tiki out of hypertufa?-to put in my garden....

T

I've been lurking here for over a year now, just reading and getting a feel for the community; last week I ended up sharing a few great drinks with Capt. Skelly and TikiSkip at the Tropical Bistro in Hilliard, OH, and I decided it was high time for me to post an introduction since I've now met fellow TCers in the flesh! I came into Tikiphilia via the combined routes of mixology and music appreciation in late 2004 or so. Since then I've started collecting mugs, gotten my grimy paws on copies of the BOT and Kon Tiki, and generally just started driving my wife mad with plans for building a basement tiki bar, constantly listening to the few LPs I've managed to unearth, and always, always working on some new drink recipe. :D

I've already had a long, happy relationship with TC as a resource for great information and moral support (there isn't a lot of Tiki mana left up here in the twin cities, it seems sometimes), and I hope that as time goes on I can contribute to this community as much as I have gotten from it. Cheers!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Oct 30, 2006 3:53 PM

Hi Everyone! I've been lurking here a while, but finally got sucked in when I started going to a few of the tiki carving classes. I've been into Tiki stuff for a while, my husband and I throw an annual summer party that we call Luau, and usually have a subtheme as well. We've been throwing those since 98 or so. We started with renting a lot of decorations, but have slowly added our own supplies so now we have a collapsible tiki bar, some belly bar tables, and some pretty big (and a lot of small) decorations.

I really enjoy making decorations, in the past we've made a volcano out of great stuf foam insulation that flickers light and "erupts" with fog on a timer, a paper mache tiki that also has fog, but also sound sensitive eyes that glow brighter when he "talks" (us though a microphone). Our collapsing tiki bar has a resined top with copies of vintage hawaii posters. I'll try to post some of this stuff in case people want to try it themselves.

We've got our backyard planted with tropical plants, but it needs more tikis in it, so that's the reason I started posting. I didn't know if I'd be able to carve well at all, since I can't draw at all, but after classes with Polynesiac and the Left Coast 'Oki 'Oki, I'm addicted.

Aloha Mieko!

You have an amazing talent for carving. I thought your Benzart lesson was one of the weekend's best pieces. Please post pics when you've finished it up.

H

Mieko, it was nice meeting you at the carving seminar. Your did a great job with the smaller carving it looked great. Hope to see some pictures of it soon.

Mieko, I agree about your Benzart lesson. It definately stood out.Thanks for coming to the seminar. You've got some real talent there.

Just a quick post to say hi and how glad I am that this site exists. It's fantastic! I've been having a blast perusing the drink recipes and have bookmarked Trixie Little's website after reading about the Evil Hate Monkey cocktail. I am now dragging myself kicking and screaming off of Tiki Central so I can go do monotonous eBay stuff instead...trust me, I'd rather stay here!

Christina

On 2006-11-06 17:00, christina13 wrote:
I am now dragging myself kicking and screaming off of Tiki Central so I can go do monotonous eBay stuff instead...trust me, I'd rather stay here!

Don't worry, any any given time, there are several hundred TC Ohana over at eBay, to keep you company, as well...

My first post. Aloha! I am a guy from Canada that spends a lot of time in Asia on business. I have come to this site by way of a myspace post by Dirty Donny. I have come for your Tiki.

N
Noner posted on Wed, Nov 8, 2006 7:39 AM

What's up everybody. I'm into the whole retro scene and just recently got into tiki. I bought a pair of pois and it was full steam tiki from there. I am even building a tiki bar in my basement. I've checked this place out for a while and decided to register.

Hey everybody!
My name is Whitney, I'm 19 years old, soon to be 20. I live in Orlando, FL where I attend the University of Central Florida. It's my second year here, I'm majoring in Art, hopefully in the graphic design track; I have to apply to that program next semester.::keeping my fingers crossed:: I was raised in Ft. Lauderdale, FL so I have had the extreme pleasure of experiencing the Mai Kai! It's probably my favorite place in the world. I started getting into tiki about 5 years ago when I discovered the art of Shag. I just loved his subject matter and my obsession has grown tremendously since then. I'm a tiki fiend, but I wish I knew more about the history and the difffernt classifications, that's why I'm so happy I stumbled upon this forum! I hope I learn a lot here and look forward to getting to know you guys!
:)

Welcome, Hala Kahiki. Interestingly, you chose the name of a great Tiki bar in the Chicago area...

On 2006-11-08 13:18, hala_kahiki wrote:
Hey everybody!
My name is Whitney, I'm 19 years old, soon to be 20. I live in Orlando, FL where I attend the University of Central Florida. It's my second year here, I'm majoring in Art, hopefully in the graphic design track; I have to apply to that program next semester.::keeping my fingers crossed:: I was raised in Ft. Lauderdale, FL so I have had the extreme pleasure of experiencing the Mai Kai! It's probably my favorite place in the world. I started getting into tiki about 5 years ago when I discovered the art of Shag. I just loved his subject matter and my obsession has grown tremendously since then. I'm a tiki fiend, but I wish I knew more about the history and the difffernt classifications, that's why I'm so happy I stumbled upon this forum! I hope I learn a lot here and look forward to getting to know you guys!
:)

Hi! :) I am aware of this bar! BUT...I chose the name because it means pineapple in Hawaiian..I've read that in many places, so I hope it's true...otherwise my name is a bar haha.

Hi - I signed up so I could post a message about my cool Tiki house in Tiki marketplace but I cannot figure out how to post a message in that forum. Any help would be much appreciated.

Got it -- I finally figured it out.

[ Edited by: billj2001 2006-11-12 09:16 ]

A

Hi. I've been lurking about here for a few weeks, but haven't really introduced myself. I live in San Diego. Been into tiki things for quite a few years. In fact, my dad used to own a company in L.A. that made and distributed items for Polynesian dance and performance groups (wish I had some of those great things now). Anyway, recently turned our garage into a tiki lounge. I think it looks pretty good, although since we rent and don't own this house, I couldn't make the bar as permanent looking as I would like. Mahalo!

VB

well i might a well chime in. My names Andy, or as the username goes von Buck. i'm a musician who's been playing since i was big enough to get into bars. I play all kinds of music for a living, but love tiki and space age pop. i've been collecting tiki mugs for the past ten years. I wanted to build a tiki bar in my basement, but had to sell the house o account of illness.
I'm getting ready to attend graduate school to become a librarian, and for a field project i'm going to work on archiving tiki culture in general

von Buck

Hi, I'm new here. I've been collecting tiki mugs for about four years or so. I bought my first one at a thrift store with the intentions of trying to sell it on eBay. I was too busy to list it immediately and it sat on my desk staring at me and I think it cast some sort of spell on me. I have about 70 mugs now and I'm still looking for more whenever and wherever I can. I am hoping to graduate to designing my own and perhaps even carving a few.

Newbie to forum but not to collecting and having a passion for exotica music and tropical style decorum. I have shopped thrift & specialty stores for years, attended antique/deco/retro shows, and generally just collected items that called out to me. Can't believe I missed this forum, so will enjoy networking and sharing. On a personal note, I am 52, divorced, a nurse, and a big James Bond fan. Still yapping at the top of my lungs about how wonderful Casino Royale is....any other Bond fans here?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies