Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,278 replies

TM

On 2012-08-01 08:27, bigbrotiki wrote:
Aesallee, the Mai Kai shunned, the Mai Kai loved - the evolution of Tiki right there, and a good way to get converted eventually :) . Is there a link where one can read the article you wrote?

As a heads up, this upcoming book (October/November) will a have whole chapter on the Mai Kai in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Dining-Discovering-Mid-Century-Restaurants/dp/1423607406/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343834575&sr=1-1&keywords=Classic+dining

Sven, when this becomes available will you please post about it here on TC? I am HIGHLY interested!

Welcome to Tiki Central marvincole!

I hope you enjoy your time here on Tiki Central & don't be put off by us rabid Tikiphiles
You will find plenty of sharp objects here so try not to hurt yourself
Don't forget to wear your safety helmet, now.

Welcome to all the new folks. (ATP...where is the Spambot when you need it...LOL). Looking forward to meeting ne folks at Oasis.
CHEERS :drink:

Oh No! marvincole, I was just getting to know you, I thought we needed more mentally challenged
folks here on TC, It was a diversity thing......it is what makes the world go round
and you had to wreak it with your Spamming ways.

Can I open my heart again to just anybody?...........:cry: :cry: :cry:

J

On 2012-08-06 11:40, nomeus wrote:
as an owner of my own forums, im used to reading these, not making my own.

long time fan of martin denny, combustible edison, esquivel. collector of vintage florida souvenirs and other cheesy novelties. sentimental and nostalgic photographer recently published by history press. lover of all things 40s - 80s, especially 50s.

Hello... :)

HH

Hello All,

I moved to Hawai'i two years ago, and things got real tiki real fast.

Hilo Hank Fast Facts:

Favorite Tikis: Pu'uhonua o Honaunau (aka Place of Refuge)
Favorite Tiki Drink: Banana Daiquiri (not sure if that is a tiki drink, but it has rum and I've got too many bananas to not drink them)
Favorite Wiki-Wacky-Woo: Cafe Bernardo, Davis, CA
Favorite 75% of the planet: The Ocean
Favorite Tiki Tour: The inaugural SoCal Tiki Tour, happening next week.
Hopes and Dreams: To sail across the Pacific on a boat that's not dry, so I can experience those sunsets with a cocktail for once.

See some of you at the Mai Tai festival in Kona next weekend?

Thanks in advance for accepting me into your Tiki Wiki,
-Hilo Hank

Z

Aloha!

Figured I might as well finally say hello! I've been to Ohana a few times and this year will be my first Tiki Oasis. As a kid I loved tiki-style restaurants and mugs and when I discovered serious tiki cocktails a few years ago I just dove back in. Can't wait to see everyone at TO and add a few mugs to the collection.

J

Hello!

I'm a rockabilly guy from Estland. One day last year I was wondering who is that wooden angry guy who is mixed into hotrodders culture. I found who is Tiki but still wondered how is he related with rockabilly. I searched and searched and got my answer that "because he is just THAT cool!" and rockabillies and hotrodders just like all kind of cool things... and ofcourse it all came from '50 USA... Well, I don't have hot rod, but I have always been interested of oldschool things... where everything is come from, like delta blues and country music and Sailor Jerry tattoo-style and ofcourse there wasn't much to go to get stuck into Tiki culture.

The next step was to try those stirred and shaked rum-coctails, so I was thinking about changing my brandy-colas to rum-juice coctails... But... What I needed first... Everything around that coctail... I got some exotica-music (have tried to play it also, worked hard with those tunes, I love it!), but I still don't have Tiki mug nor Tiki lounge (nor bar)... So... My next mission... Tiki mug! I had searched in Ooga-Mooga for a long time, there are all kinds of them, better ones, worse ones... but not the one which I wanted. So... There's no other way to make one by myself... For that time I had already made my own design of Tiki in my mind which I had drew to everywhere... with pencil on paper... or with my finger into the dust... So I suffered for few months in this spring... by dreaming and learning (from this forum and everywhere) and wondering and dreaming again...

After those months of unslept nights I took my pencil and paper and polished my Tiki-guy into perfection... I contacted my old buddy from college who has started carving-work as a hobby... He gave me some good pieces of wood... which I glued together... My ol' dad had a ol' lathe... I made the wood into round-shape, got some tools from my ol' dad and carved my own Tiki from those pieces of wood. It got... pretty perfect I must say... At least lot better than I thought. Anyway... The next step is mold... And that's where problems started... Today I opened my first mold of constructional plaster... It's not as tough as it should be, result was not-so-good... So... Here I am, not only reading from now on, but also writing... of my big worries... Now I'm gonna find the right topic and start to ask for all kinds of answers for my all kinds of questions...

Hi there! I'm Quinntiki, and I'm excited to dive into this refreshingly old-fashioned forum with you other tikites (tikians? tikonauts?)

I am a Boston-area tiki artist inspired by bright colors, lazy sunny beach days, and cocktail culture. I was pulled into the wonderful world of tiki by my tiki-savvy boyfriend, who mixes exquisite Port Lights and Navy Grogs for me to sip while I paint by the window. Many of the mugs I paint are from our growing collection.

I'm excited to get to know you and share ideas and inspiration, to and learn the secret handshake! (There is a secret handshake, right?!)

J

Just found this site, gratefully, and just got into carving Tikis, heres my first attempt, be gentle..... Oh yeah, Im JB from Cocoa Beach....

Welcome JB from CB! Check out the upcoming Brevard Tiki night at Vintage 56 in Rockledge this Saturday. There is a thread under Tiki Events/Other Events. Also check out Brevard Tiki on Facebook!

Hey folks! I'm a craft bartender working in Dallas, and I've been completely sucked into the culture of tiki and exotica. I've been having a lot of fun with it, doing a tiki event every Sunday with a four cocktail menu and whatever strange ingredients I can get my hands on; a little surf rock, a little rockabilly, a whole lotta Frankie and Annette. In the process, I've even found that there's a small culture of tiki-heads here in Dallas. But in all my endeavors, I had one big problem- where are they meeting? Where can I go when I want a Volcano Bowl, or an Ancient Mariner? I knew folks were out there, but had no idea how to get in touch with them. Then a couple weeks ago, I met a guy who happened in on a Sunday night with some friends, who had worked at Trader Vic's before it closed down. He told me that a big portion of their business had come from customers who organized on Tiki Central and went out in groups. And I have to say, that was pretty impressive! So I'm joining up to see who's out there, and what's happening in Dallas tiki. What's up, Tiki Central!

Ian

Hi new peoples, welcome to TC!

Aloha all...
New to the forum, but far from new.
Friends with many of the folks on here.
Recently moved to the Big Island from SoCal.
Living BIG in a fantastic Lucky Bennett home in the Kona coffee belt, making cocktails, building dreams, carving and painting. Eve sells her gorgeous paintings at a gallery here, and I sell mine at the legendary Dresden Room in Hollywood.
We run our place as the Shangri-Lei Bed and Beverage, so I would imagine you know what thats all about.
Aloha to all of you!

Jamie and Eve Ducati

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say hi and to introduce myself. My family is now in Sacramento/Roseville and we are redecorating our new house that unfortunately does not have room for a great Tiki Bar (please see marketplace sub-forum). From reading some of the entries I must say that I am very glad that Tiki is alive and well. Thank you for your time, Lionel

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2012 4:38 PM

Hi there

Been building my lounge for six months now, and lurking here for about the same.
From Vancouver Island, Male 42, Married. Not trying to sell anything or find out the value of an item. Just here to copy all of your wonderful ideas. :evil: :wink:

cheers
Darren

Well Hello & welcome Dagg!

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2012 7:52 PM

On 2012-08-24 17:00, Atomic Tiki Punk wrote:
Well Hello & welcome Dagg!

Thanks for the warm welcome ATP, very kind of you. I don't care what "they" say, I think you're just swell!

On 2012-08-24 16:38, Dagg wrote:
Hi there

Been building my lounge for six months now, and lurking here for about the same.
From Vancouver Island, Male 42, Married. Not trying to sell anything or find out the value of an item. Just here to copy all of your wonderful ideas. :evil: :wink:

cheers
Darren

Dagg Nammit!!! :wink:

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Aug 24, 2012 9:12 PM

On 2012-08-24 20:34, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2012-08-24 16:38, Dagg wrote:
Hi there

cheers
Darren

Dagg Nammit!!! :wink:

I prefer to spell it with two B's.... but whatever shellacs ur boo... BTW Ben love the new stuff you have been posting on FB over the last few days!

I went to my first Tiki Oasis and it was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to do it again next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been collecting for years and now decided to start carving. Found this site looking for tips,didn't realize so many were into Tiki like me. So here I am.

-Tribal Tiki

Hi,

Just thought I'd take a moment to introduce myself. I've been around for a while reading, watching, and learning and thought I'd go ahead and join in.

Just a little about me: I'm an architect, live in Virginia, and have over the last decade gained an appreciation for mid-century design (and south seas inspired art) that I did not have earlier in my career. I was looking at designs from the late 40s and into the 50s and 60s and saw lots of south seas art showing up. I was intrigued - at first it seemed an odd pairing, but the more I looked the more I came to really like it.

I broadened my searching to include the art I was seeing and soon discovered current artists - Josh Agle, Tiki Tony, Heater Watts (is she doing any new work by the way?), Bosco, Doug Horne, Ken Ruzic, Derek Yanger, Kirby, Robb Hamel (I wish he would do more of his architectural velvet paintings!), Michelle Bickford, Moritz R., and Natt Reed - the work by these artists have struck a chord in me.

One link lead to another, to another.... and here I am visiting TikiCentral every other day or so. Discussion here often points me towards new artists, intriguing places, and interesting things.

That is enough for an initial post - and hopefully not too much!

D

Hi all!

Greetings from Oklahoma! I converted my disused single-car garage into a beach-tiki bar last summer (for some reason it got named the "Cannibal Cabana"), and it's just grown from there. I still have a lot I'd like to do, and I've just bought my first few tiki mugs. I have a feeling this is going to be an expensive hobby! I can tell this site is going to be great help and a lot of fun. Any tips/tricks for the noob are appreciated.

Thanks!

-Kyle, a.k.a. DrThundr

[ Edited by: DrThundr 2012-09-06 10:21 ]

On 2012-09-06 10:20, DrThundr wrote:
...for some reason it got named the "Cannibal Cabana"...

That's a great name for a home bar!

Hello gang! I am Alfie Silva.
I perform Dean Martin, Tom Jones and Elvis all over the country. I have a vast tiki collection and I am a member of the Brevard tiki group in Florida. Looking forward to meeting many of you over a mai tai or 12!

M

Hi Everyone, thought I'd introduce myself. Hope to meet many of you in person (already have met a few at the recent Tiki Highway and Tiki Marketplace), and share a zombie or other tropical delight.

Greetings!

Lots of talented and fun people joining TC. Welcome!

Kyle (DrThundr), the name of your bar is perfect. If you go look around I'm sure you will find lots of tips and tricks to help you out.

On 2012-09-06 14:30, Alfie the Moai wrote:
Hello gang! I am Alfie Silva.
I perform Dean Martin, Tom Jones and Elvis all over the country. I have a vast tiki collection and I am a member of the Brevard tiki group in Florida. Looking forward to meeting many of you over a mai tai or 12!

Welcome to Tiki Central, Alfie! I saw you perform at the most recent Brevard Tiki gathering and can share with others here that you're very talented and a helluva lot of fun. I plan on making the drive down to Melbourne in December with Tiki Teresa so that we can see you performing in "Holidays with Dino" (the Dean Martin Show, re-created live on stage) at MCT. Helpful plug for others - mymct.org for more information.

D

Thanks for the welcome, everyone! Cannibal Cabana just kinda stuck. I just did some stadium cups for it with a logo I designed. One pic here...I may post others in a more appropriate thread. Happy weekend!

Aloha,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is JoAnn and I am a balloon artist. I am very happy to have found Tiki Central. There's a lot of very creative people here! I feel right at home.

Thank you very much for letting me join,

Mahalo!

Greetings from California!

I've been fascinated with Tiki culture for years now. It all started when I was a kid visiting Adventure Land at Disneyland Anaheim. I knew the jungle and decorations weren't real but I fell in love with the wonderful atmosphere they provided anyway, something about the flames at night mixed with the flora. Lets jump to about 3 months ago when my girl friend and I started thinking about a project we could both enjoy. Almost as a joke I said "Tiki Bar!". Being a native of Germany she had no idea what I was talking about, so i explained the concept and showed her some pictures. She was hooked immediately and we started on our bar that day. Things have been progressing slowly, as time allows, but our goal is to have it all done in time for a holiday Tiki party! We stumbled on this site while looking for design ideas!

Looking forward to input from you all!

Evan (aka clutchAbuse)and Christina

Welcome to all the new folks joining the board. Some interesting talents you all have, hope to meet you at a future Tiki event. Don't forget to post your home Tiki spaces.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewforum.php?forum=20&11083

What she (vamp) said...welcome to you all!

Long live tiki...

Now go build, paint, carve, or sculpt something....

And for gods sake, have a Mai-Tai or 6

:)

E

Hi everyone, my name's Michael and I'm from Australia. I've been into tiki culture since I was just a lad, probably as a result of childhood travels through New Zealand. We don't seem to have much of a tiki scene around here so I was pretty stoked to stumble across Tiki Central.

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2012-09-19 18:22 ]

I've been enthralled by tiki ever since my first tip to Hala Kahiki back in the late 90's for a work party. I got rinsed on fog cutters or zombies, I forget which. I've always had a fond (and somewhat blurry) memory of that warm fuzzy rum drunk that only tiki drinks can deliver and hanging out with new friends. I'd love to say I've been chasing the tiki dragon ever since however it actually took me a while to really get obsessed by tiki culture. 5 years ago my girlfriend bought me my first tiki mugs as a X-mas present. A buddy got me a How to throw a Tiki Party by Trader Vic book, and we threw our first party that year. That's when I was properly hooked. My collection and drinking adventures have been growing ever since. Mahalo!

Greetings everyone from the shores of the great ChesaTiki Bay over here on the East Coast! I've been lurking for a couple of months now, and finally decided to join. We have a small beach cottage we purchased last year and I've been searching for home bar ideas, this is definitely the place for inspiration!

M

Hi There.

I'm Kim, from Holland (you're warned for louzy English). I'm a big tiki-fan and viewed tikicental more then a few times! Thought it was time to sign up.. We've build our own Tikibar in the backyard, it's not finished yet (is it ever!?). April 2013 we're headin' to California, hope to score some items over there.
I'll try to post some pic's of the bar in the home-bar corner, if anyone's interested.

Greetz Kim 'MissTiki'

Welkom bij Tiki Central, Kim. Ik heb een warme plek in mijn hart voor de Nederlandse als een van mijn overgrootmoeder was een Van Meter.

Bear :drink:

M

Dank je Brudda Bear!

Zo te zien spreek je een aardig woordje Nederlands, mocht je nog eens in Nederland zijn staat er een cocktailtje klaar! Het is voor mij allemaal nog even
uitvissen hoe ik het forum gebruik, en vooral hoe ik zie wanneer iemand iets in een topic heeft geplaatst waar je in zit. Anyway, I hope you'll understand the Dutch writing!?

Greetz Kim

Kim,

I must confess that I cheated and used Google Translate. I thought you may appreciate being welcomed in your own language. Thank you for the promised cocktail if ever I visit. :)

Bear

Brudda Bear,

Haha that's a good one. I sure do appreciate it, thanks.
For you to take the afford to do that, makes me feel very welcome!

Cheers x

It's getting close to 4am here in Southern California...as good a time as any to sign up to Tiki Central.
Mike here in San Pedro Ca, lifelong Tiki/Tropical/Polypop obsessionist taking my first step publicly. I'll tell my wife later...peace.

On 2012-09-25 03:53, Father Goose wrote:
...lifelong Tiki/Tropical/Polypop obsessionist taking my first step publicly. I'll tell my wife later...peace.

No, Father Goose, don't tell your wife that you joined TC! If you haven't already started, begin immediately by filling up the house with various tiki and bar accoutrements, start shopping for nice rums at your local Liquor Barn, begin using strange words like "falernum" and "orgeat" in everyday conversation, start stapling bamboo mats to your walls and ceilings, buy and install full-sized carved tikis around your property, and then replant both your front and back yards with tropical foliage and never trim them. She'll figure it out soon enough -- and then it will be too late. Bwahahahaha!

And welcome to TC!

Hello,
I've been a fan of the Tiki aesthetic & culture for a long time. Aloha Shirts to Tiki Statues, I love it all. The best is a good Tiki Bar with some enticing exotica music playing in the background. I've been lurking around this website for a while now and feel it's time to join the community. I look forward to being a part it.

Hello! We like all kinds of vintage/rockabilly/mid century/tiki things! We have read through posts at Tiki Central over the years but, never officially joined. We look forward to sharing our love for tiki with new people!

Btw, We are Jorge and Ellen Garcia :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4278 replies