Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

L

46,846...it's my lucky number :wink:

IT'S TIME FOR A CONTEST. I WILL SEND ONE OF MY PUFFER FISH NECKLACES TO THE WINNER.

I WANT YOU TO GUESS THE NUMBER OF MILES ON OUR PT CRUISER.

I took a photo of the odometer before I started the contest. I'll post this photo with the winner's name.

IT IS A 2003. THE CLOSEST TO THE NUMBER WINS. HINT 5 NUMBERS.

YOU HAVE UNTIL MIDNIGHT SUNDAY OCTOBER 5TH TO POST YOUR GUESS HERE.

======================================================

These are the guesses so far.

LoriLovesTiki 97,486

Tattoo 84376

MaukaHale 85,000

AdOrAdam 87534

hang10tiki 69,001

Loki-Tiki 46,846

Tacky Tiki 119,500

ebtiki 92,356

TikiAno 100,001

Bruddah Bear 99,999

Atomic Tiki 78,500

lunavideogames 60,837.

Holler Waller 88888

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-04 08:03 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-04 15:44 ]

TT

My guess is: 119,500. That's pretty close to the mileage on my Ranger, and he's an '07.

Mahalo!

Tacky Tiki

E
ebtiki posted on Fri, Oct 3, 2014 5:39 PM

92,356 miles.

T

100,001 miles. Wish me luck. :)

Everything looks great as always, Wendy.

99,999 is my guess.

Bear

Thank you for all the guessing and comments. I've added you all to the list above. Contest Cutoff time midnight Sunday.

============================================================================================

I've posted Day one of the crawl on facebook Sacramento Ohana page and now I'll do it all again!

THE CAP CITY CRAWL organized by VampiressRN and created by Psycho Tiki D.

This is the home of Tiki Tonie and Dale.

Part of their tiki collection.

Muskrat and wife.

Dan and Cole.

Dale and Nelson.

Tiki Tonie is a wonderful ceramicist. She made the monkey head that Tiki Hula is holding.

He lit the rum soaked sugar cube.

Slowhandtikiman and myself (Wendy). He takes old cracked up bucket mugs and uses a tile cutter to take out the sneaky tiki and to make the most wonderful vintage necklaces. $20. I love mine.

Cole, Tacky Tiki Barbara and Cole's wife Jenny. Marketplace was great and it will continue at my home today.
All venders may set up tables in our living room today. More time to shop!

Deb, John, Eva, Wendy and VampiressRN.

Deb, Dr. Tiki Mojo, Tiki Tonie, Wendy, John and Slowhandtikiman.

We had the most perfect start to the crawl. Thank you hosts for the great party.

To those I missed photographing please forgive me.

If you took photos please post them here and on facebook.

Another day begins, cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-04 08:07 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-04 08:19 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-04 08:22 ]

I am going to guess 60,837.

Looks like the Sac crawl was a huge success! I hope everyone had a great time.

Hey guys, that was Friday nights stop. We are in progress for the Cap City Crawl until Sunday night. We are full blast with the party. We just got home from Liddlelola's and waiting for everyone to arrive here. It's been a blast so far with more to come.

Thank you for the submissions to the contest. Keep them coming.

Cheers, Wendy

Oh cool! 2 day crawl, don't your knees start to hurt? :)

I am sure that everyone will love your house. Enjoy the rest of the crawl.

T

Aloha, Wendy!

My guess: 72,000

-Tom

Looks like you guys are having a blast
Keep tikihula in line :)
Post lots o pics so us non facebookErs can follow your crawl
Cheers

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2014-10-04 19:02 ]

My guess is 87,654 ...almost to the magic of all "8's", RW

The Odometer Contest is underway. Post your guess on my thread and I'll add you to the list.
Win my puffer fish necklace. How many miles does my 2003 PT Cruiser have on the odometer?

These are the guesses so far.

LoriLovesTiki 97,486

Tattoo 84376

MaukaHale 85,000

AdOrAdam 87534

hang10tiki 69,001

Loki-Tiki 46,846

Tacky Tiki 119,500

ebtiki 92,356

TikiAno 100,001

Bruddah Bear 99,999

Atomic Tiki 78,500

lunavideogames 60,837.

Holler Waller 88888

TikiTomD 72,000

slowhandtikiman 87,654

Tavarua Tiki 55655

Enter until midnight tonight.

====================================

lunavideogames my legs are aching for sure. Tiki homes have so much to see that sitting down only happens intermittently.

hang10tiki I'm posting the photos here and on the facebook club Sacramento Ohana.

Day Two of the Cap City Crawl took place in Elk Grove California. There are 4 tiki homes here, three were open this year.

First Stop at LiddleLola's. She had an entire Hawaiian feast ready.

Gecko'z has a new mug showing these Wasabie treats.

Kingstiedye and I hung out to watch the Hula show.

These entertainers put on a terrific show and then left to preform at the Aloha Festival in Sacramento. They were great. Thank you Liddle Lola for bringing them to your home.

Tom aka TikiTNT watched from the pool.

Music and dancing.

Bryon and Liddle Lola.

We all took photos so I hope to see more.

She was given a lesson and then

it was time for the guys!

I've never seen Kingstiedye move like this before. Wow!

JJMaiTai checked out his crawl mug that I made. The sun was in his eyes, he really was happy with the mug.

============================================================

Second Stop at danlovestikis.

Audrey and Tacky Tiki continued the marketplace tradition at our home.

Jay, MIssMonk-ii and Deb in Dan's man cave.

Next I continued the tradition of photographing people's first time entering the jungle room.

I had fun bagging up tiki treasures and holding a free raffle. I had 21 prizes so almost every family won something.

I was the first to notice I had my hand on Savage Tiki's knee. Good thing Dan was in another room with VampiressRN while the raffle was going on!

Back to the jungle room with Muskrat's first visit there.

Steve Soto's brother Mark and his wife were special guests. We hope to have them join us from now on.

Moai Mike, Daniel, ChopTop and Mahalo Tiki.

Daniel took us away from the kitchen and

out to see his vintage tiki mobile. WOW we had a car show.

Check out all these details.

This was a great end to a fun party. Now it was time to shut down and move on to the next one.

========================================================

Third and last stop at Dr. Tiki Mojo's.

Tom aka TikiTNT hanging out at the pond with a friend.

jdseeks is smiling at you.

The entryway into the home.

The décor is not just tiki it is also scary pirate.

Dr. Tiki Mojo gave us all a home tour with lots of comedy added in. Live performance art.

LloydAlohahaha and I.

Eva and Dr. Tiki Mojo held a raffle.

Now it was time to go home and get some sleep. The party begins again on Sunday.

Thank you for the visit. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-05 10:39 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-05 20:07 ]

E
ebtiki posted on Sun, Oct 5, 2014 3:17 PM

Great pix, Wendy - thanks for sharing them!!
e.

Thanks for sharing! I so enjoy your pictures!!!

Wow
Amazing.......
Thanks for posting
:)

I think the PT Cruiser has 55655 miles.

Great pictures of the crawl and all the Sacramento area ohana, thanks so much for sharing Wendy!

T

Thank you so much for the photos! Seeing these really brightened up my day.

aloha, tikicoma

ebtiki Mike Remmel just posted on facebook and Daniel Gromm just posted a movie of our home too. We had a blast.

LoriLovesTiki it was fun from the beginning until the end. I'm posting more below. I'm so happy that you all like them.

hang10tiki we just loved the crawl and wish that everyone lived nearby. I missed you all.

Tavarua Tiki I have your entry and I'm about to announce the sinner I mean winner. Those letters are so close to each other.
I have a lot of fun sharing, thank you.

tikicoma and you mine. Welcome.

=================================================================

Here is the photo of my odometer at the start of the contest. Dan thought I should have waited 700 more miles but I might have missed it. So lets go see who won.

Here are the list of guesses.

LoriLovesTiki 97,486 nope

Tattoo 84376 nope

MaukaHale 85,000 nope

AdOrAdam 87534 nope

hang10tiki 69,001 nope

Loki-Tiki 46,846 nope

Tacky Tiki 119,500 nope

ebtiki 92,356 nope

TikiAno 100,001 nope

Bruddah Bear 99,999 nope

Atomic Tiki Punk 78,500 1423 away...ATP you are the WINNER of this contest!

lunavideogames 60,837. nope

Holler Waller 88888 nope

TikiTomD 72,000 nope

slowhandtikiman 87,654 nope

Tavarua Tiki 55655 nope

Thank you everyone for entering my contest. I have so much fun seeing your names show up. I feel like a winner having all of you join me here. ATP I will be shipping your win shortly. Congratulations.

===================================================================

CAP CITY CRAWL IN SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA DAY THREE

Our first stop was at Swanzberg's Hawaiian shirt shop. He has both new and vintage shirts and an assortment of other tiki and Hawaiian goodies. This is Lauren the owner and our host for this party.

By now I hope you recognize everyone so I'll let you guess names. I'm worn out from partying!

Corona Contessa and Dan.

TikiTNT and MaukaHale each gave Dan a gift. I'll show them again at the bottom of the page.

Our second stop was at Tacky Tiki's and Audrey's home.

This is Matt the cat.

Selfie time.

This is Vic aka Jungle Trader a marvelous carver.

Dan and I are here with Debbie and Marone Tiki.

Muskrat and Polynesian Paddy.

Help! I've forgotten your name. Please post it here.

Corona Contessa and Dan.

On the right is VampiressRN who organized this perfect and wonderful crawl. Thank you so much Marlene.

MaukaHale provided wonderful music. We were given a special concert.

Senior moment. I've forgotten your names too. Please post them on my thread with this photo.

Jeremy and Stephanie.

Liddle Lola and Audrey one of our hosts for this stop.

Tacky Tiki aka Barbara our other host at this stop. Their home and backyard were so much fun to tour.

Slowhandtikiman holding the crawl mug I made for this event.

Eva and Scott.

Savage Tiki, me, Tiki Hula.

Jay and Natalie who have a kiln and will begin to have some ceramic fun soon.

Audrey's closet. We must be in Hawaii!

Now we have moved on to our last stop of the Cap City Crawl. We are Mahalo Tiki's where they put on a dinner for everyone.

This is Psycho Tiki D the originator of our wonderful crawl. He is also responsible for causing me to take the next step of completely making my own tiki ceramics from stat to finish. It's all his fault and I love him for it. I've never had such fun until I started this in August of 2010.

I missed taking photos of Nelson and Mary out hosts but here shows Psycho Tiki D, Dr. Tiki Mojo and Liddle Lola shopping.

Mahalo Tiki has a great tiki shop and not only do they design mugs they are now producing them with their own home kiln.
Here Dan is trying to look like the Mahalo Tiki on the top shelf.

So here ends the Cap City Crawl. We bid adieu to our friends and went home to sleep.

Thank you all for hosting and hugging and to my Tiki Central friends for joining us on the ride.

During this event we were blessed with some gifts from friends. I will now say thank you to:

Savage Tiki for the wine. Tiki TNI for the glasses and Outrigger mug. To MaukaHale for the Adrift mug, Liddle Lola for the Hula girl and Dr. Tiki Mojo for the necklaces.

Dan received this shrunken head and then promptly forgot who gave it to him. I'd like to know. Please post your name here on my thread.

Slowhandtikiman gave me this necklace. He cuts these from old damaged Harvey's mugs. They are $20 and you may contact him on TC to order one. Chief Bartender aka Sean gave me a digital camera to use when working clay.

WOW, we didn't expect any presents so these were all surprises and we thank you all very much.

Signing out. It way past time to open the kiln to see how my work turned out so stay tuned for the Dan and Wendy show returning tomorrow.

Hugs and best wishes for a very tiki time. Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-06 11:15 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-06 14:45 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-06 16:05 ]

Wendy, I loved seeing that tableful of your old Sculpty pieces - too cool!

Well Thank You, Wendy!

I would like to say I used my powers of deduction to ascertain
the correct answer, but in fact it was a little deal I made
with a fellow calling himself Mr. Apollyon, who looked just like Grog!

I figured, who needs a soul anyway.
It was all worth it, Mahalo!

T

Great pics of a very fun looking crawl! Hope to make it up there for one in the future!

T
TikiG posted on Mon, Oct 6, 2014 2:39 PM

The crawl looked fun! Hopefully I can make it next time.

T

Awww man, I had a server room issue at work and had to leave just before Mahalo Tiki's stop. Sorry I missed you PTD :(

That was such a relaxing and enjoyable crawl. And it was great to meet some fab folks who were there for the first time.

Wendy- great pics, looks like great fun was had by all
ATP- congrats on the win

Way to go ATP! And thanks Wendy~

hang10tiki (:

Holler Waller (:

===============================================

I've opened the kiln.

Big smile because they all looked fine.

Dan ran off with the entire top shelf.

Bottom shelf is mine to sell.

All the Zombie Torch mugs but one which replaces the one the repairman melted.

I brought them into the house and

matched them to their flames.

Next I will be cold painting enamel onto the hula girl and the Zombie's teeth and earring.

Velvet photos of the top shelf tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy I love the way the Bamboo Moai turned out - the bamboo is subtle but still noticeable and the inside glaze is a great match.

pretty!

Nice load out of the kiln! Dan got some gorgeous pieces!!

Great colors

E

Wow!!

so colorful and pretty! good job! :)

MadDogMike I'm really happy with the bamboo too. I'm getting used to underglazes and how they work. I dunk my mug in water the night before and then spray it again just before glazing.

Atomic Tiki Punk you are too! OK I know you mean the pottery.

LoriLovesTiki he's been having lots of fun taking everything. I'll have another Wish List this year and he'll help but he'll know hands off.

hang10tiki its an addiction. Every time a new glaze comes out I need to try it.

ebtiki Ahhh. Did you see Bai's Suffering Bastard Moai? It's super.

SandraFremgen I'm glad you like them. Many people noticed your art on my wall during the crawl.

Thank you everyone. I love mail. Your comments are very appreciated.

I finished my black velvet photos of the Tiki Bob's so here they are.

Bamboo Moai

Flame Bob. I wanted flames from his eyes and corners of his mouth. I think his eyes look like Playboy Bunny heads. To top that off I see the Joker from Batman when I look at his smile.

Big Palm Bob. Right at the beach with water up to his chin.

Viking Bob with all his armor.

He has a tiny skull on his hatchet.

Tiki Bob the Shriner.

Now it's time to work on the Zombie Torches. Thank you for the visit, Wendy

Stunning

T

Wow, I agree with Mike, loving the Bamboo Bob. I want to extend a huge thank you to Dan for lending Wendy the mugs so she can take photos so that we can enjoy them (almost) as much as you do. Wendy, I was hoping Dan would let you get your hands on them again!

Love all the Bobs, each one so very different. I'm in awe of such slight variations in the mouth, eyes, and more to give Bob a variety of emotions.

hang10tiki I like that.

TikiAno I have so much fun playing with Tiki Bob. I see many more to come in the future. I told Dan what you said and he got such a kick out it.

========================================
Tonight for the first time while flipping channels I stopped on the show Anger Management.
How fun to find a Tiki Spoon and Fork set decorating the set. The show can't be all bad with this décor.

Does it seem to you that Charlie is always staring at the women's chests?

====================================================
Dan's and my favorite store is called the Discovery Shop and it's owned by the Cancer Society. We go there almost every day.
On our last visit we bought for $25 a 25% discount coupon good for a month. So today we were meeting friends for lunch and that put us close by two of these shops we rarely visit. So we went to see what they had.

It was our lucky day!!!

=====================================================

I've started to paint the Zombie Torch mugs.

The photo isn't good enough to show that I missed eliminating 1 air bubble in the paint. As it dried it made an ugly dent in the woman's arm. It couldn't be fixed.

The paint hasn't been baked yet so I was able to remove it from the mug with a wooden skewer.

These final specks were sanded off.

I thought about the problem. I have to shake the paint before I use it and this introduces the tiny air bubble. I need to get them out before I brush it on the mug. Then I remembered that when I used to pour models of teeth using a mold I put it on a vibrator and that ran the bubbles to the top where they popped. So I got out this foot vibrator I used before having surgery. I vibrated my foot and the jar of paint at the same time.

I was able to do this many skin parts on these mugs in one day because I wasn't hampered by the bubbles. I guess I'll leave the vibrator out now to use each day I paint.

This is a very sparkly mug. I used an even more sparkly ceramic paint for his earrings.

Here they have dried.

I never run out of fun projects.

More fun to come in the future. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-10 08:40 ]

Love the moai bamboo mug Wendy. And the zombie village glazes are awesome!

Nice score on the duplicate mugs
I have several, that's what friends drink from

C
cy posted on Fri, Oct 10, 2014 4:20 PM

Wow, what a great page Wendy!

Funny about the post seeing the Hawaiian Tiki Spoon & Fork on the set of "Anger Management", we used to watch "Two and a Half Men" when Charlie was on it, and always laughed at the fact that there was at least one Tiki present and visible in the Bar shots when they hung out at their local bar. Always wondered who's Tiki it was and who on set got them into the decor?

TikiHula thank you and may your weekend be truly spectacular.

hang10tiki Dan was asked if we were going to have a party and use the mugs. Dan hovered over them like a parent protecting his young. He shook his head no and said they would just be looked at and admired. hang10 you are brave with your mugs.

cy thank you, it's so much fun to picture you in the woods, on Frog Island and in your home. That was such a fun visit.

Dr.TikiMojo it was extra fun for us because we had never seen this show before and I'd bought a set on our trip to Monterey and again from Tacky Tiki at our crawl. I have three sets on the dining room wall. So tasteful.

===============================================================

I love reading comments, thank you all for posting here.

===============================================================

Last year when I did the super big mug for the Sacramento Crawl I had visions of super carving one. I had Dan drag out the huge mold and I poured one. Here's all the fun carving I did on this mug. Of course Dan has claimed it. I will have another Wish List before the year is over. Right now I need to do some pieces so I can fire my glaze test strips and then do the dozen new glazes. Then I'll be ready to take on your challenges.

Here it is, the Coral Reef Tiki

First step was to clean off all the mold lines and make the mug look smooth all over.

Then I started at the base and carved in all these lines.

I got out some clay cutters to use as a guide on

the tiki's rear end.

Using the guide lines I deepened the circles.

It is easier to also work with the mug upside down.

Here are the rest of the steps.

All done and ready to slowly dry.

It's fun to just play with clay. You all should try it. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-10 19:40 ]

Super carved
Super awesome
Super Cevola

hang10tiki you are Super awesome! Thank you for checking in so often. You are Tiki Ano especially keep me motivated to post.

======================================

We went on a tiki road trip. We stayed the night in Pleasanton near San Jose. We found some fun tiki things that I'll be sharing soon.

Meanwhile we have started to pour some Tiki Bob's that I use as bases for making the Wish List mug. I just cover up Bob's face and go from there. I bet I make a few for Dan along the way. I'm not quite ready to do the Wish List because I'm still working on the Zombie Torch mugs.

Here's what our days are looking like right now.

We went to Alpha Fired Arts for slip. I was all out.

We have them fill our jugs half full because they make their slip thick.

I like to assembly line my work so I took off all the lids and

added the right amount of water. I tested first with one.

Then using a potato masher I masked in the water.

Then I finished them up with hand, my hand mixer. That way I can check to make sure the mix is just right.

My Tiki Bob molds were made by us from my own clay sculptures. They are very leaky after many casts. So every time I do two things. The first is to dam up the cracks with clay.

Every crack aka seams between pieces.

Then we pour in some slip and tip the mold to run the slip where the pieces join. This too will seal it.

Dan shakes it up before pouring.

I pound the side with a rubber mallet when he fills the mold.

Then they sit for two hours.

Dan does the clean up for me. He works for tikis.

The excess slip is poured out by Dan while I watch the insides with a flashlight. I make sure that none hangs up inside the mug.
Sometimes I need to use a stick to urge it out.

They they sit upside down overnight.

The next day we open the molds and remove the Tiki Bob's.

The molds are put outside with fans on them to dry so that by the afternoon we can pour again.

I clean all the mold lines off the mugs and put them in Heafty bags to keep them from drying out.

It all starts over again, every day. This photo was taken by Tiki Hula.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2014-10-12 16:49 ]

Going back to your last mug,
I wish I could coax that much detail out of my carvings.
Nice job.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies