Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

I've turned into Dan-O
Wait, that means I should have about 4,000 more mugs
And all over the house
Awesome
Ill tell the wife I'm taking over the house

Grog, u 1 funny mo-fo
:)

The Wendy & Dan show is always entertaining! Thanks for keeping us all smiling. :)

I too love the tikis in the backyard. Do tell us their story.

TO ONE AND ALL WHO VOTED FOR US, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH, I JUST SAW WE ARE COOL AND CURRENT. THAT MADE MY DAY, WENDY

GROG me like u art.

VampiressRN GROG is a sweetie pie just like Matt. I really enjoyed seeing Matt and the mug together. Jon, I think you look better as is but it was fun to see you as Dan's twin. Marlene soon our Sacramento Ohana will grow by two in Elk Grove, how amazing is that?

TikiAno starting on the left. Around 8 years ago several styles were sold in the garden section at Long's drug store.
The one in the middle is from Hawaii and we got it in an antique store. The owner brought it home with him from a trip. I've seen another in a friends collection. We have had it around 10 years. The one on the right, we have two, was bought at an antique store 15 years ago and the owner said she was glad to sell them because she'd had them for twenty. Go Tiki has a mold for these and make terrific lamps. All three are concrete.

Dan wishes I'd give up the Asian living room and the Egyptian bedroom but I think his spread has gone far enough and now he needs to continue to fine tune it.

WaikikianMoeKele stay tuned for more episodes, no summer re-runs!

hang10tiki Dan's long lost brother...and you both grew up to love tiki.

LoriLovesTiki the one place we have that is not tiki enough is the backyard. I should tell Dan to work on that.

Progress Report:

Sacramento Crawl mug. I am taking orders and adding names to the list on page 1. The mug will be around 9 inches tall and have a 3 1/2 inch diameter. The sculpt right now is 4" x 10" but casts from the mold will shrink as they dry.

Copying from a photo is difficult. I rough it out and then I repair making it match.

I see that the arms are too narrow and I add clay.

The arms needed a huge wedge to work.

Then I see the belly wraps around under the elbows.

littlegiles and Kele like butts so one will be attached to this backside.

I smooth the added clay.

Checking from different angles helps too.

I checked the photo and found his shoulders were wider so more clay is added.

My hands are too tired to continue so its time to join Dan and to watch TV

The Butt and head will be the fun parts to sculpt.

Anyone want to confess to voting for us on Cool and Current? Hugs, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-04-13 11:08 ]

You guys are totally cool & current!

I love the Grog photoshop. Sooo great.

I have an Asian living room too. I do not have an Egyptian bedroom though. Emily doesn't like my Egyptian stuff enough I guess, but I am going to bring the idea up with her anyway. Luckily I haven't let her throw out my Egyptian statues yet. I thought I might have to put them in the garden for awhile. But I think it is cool to have different themes for different rooms.

HT

The Bieber photo and comment just killed me Wendy.
My sides hurt.

"The Butt and head will be the fun parts to sculpt"

That's the first time I've heard you say butthead

I really like how you showed how you use a picture to help. I have trouble making or drawing things out of my head - I'm not a real artist - but I am good at copying things I can see. This really helps! I will use this technique when I carve some concrete tikis for my backyard.

Funny what you said about the backyard, with us it's the opposite! All our tiki stuff is either in the hut or our outdoor bar. We don't have indoor tiki room. Yet.

How'd you get the concrete tiki home from hawaii?

lunavideogames thank you. So you have Asian and Egyptian too? VampiressRN also has an Egyptian bedroom. We agree that having each room designed like a different country is fun like Epcot Center in Florida. Dan started before I met him and we just kept going.

Hale Tiki your sides hurt? If you look closely at Dan's Bieber photo you can see a huge bruise on his side. He ran into a side mirror on a car.

hang10tiki imagine what GROG could say about his wangaroan mug and bowl.

LoriLovesTiki I even cut up photos to work from when I do portraits like the one of little lost tiki.

We bought the Hawaiian statue here from the antique dealer who brought it back. We were lucky. I've always thought about doing concrete tikis for the backyard. Please do step by step photos for us.

Progress Report

I'm making a Bob each day so I can fill the kiln and fire a bisque load. Here's Rum Barrel Bob.

First the metal bands.

Front.

On the back I put RUM and below XXX then I textured the barrel.

I put his name on the bottom.

Today I really will get back to glazing the severed heads. Thank you for the visit. Cheers, Wendy

Love the new Bob. Just curious. How do you smooth out that great wood texture without erasing the detail?

Dale

Dig the Bob barrel! That's a first!

And that's kind of funny. I run into stuff like that all the time and end up bruised. I do NOT walk gently. A man walks with purpose, someone once said, I believe. Or I'm making that up. Either way, I like it. I walk with purpose, and door handles, door ways, and car mirrors be damned! (Or in this case, Dan'ned. I couldn't resist.

It's so much fun to tune in & see what new marvel Wendy & Dan have for us.
Love the texture on Rum Barrel Bob!
~kele

I really like the rum barrel too, Wendy!

When I get to carving the concrete tikis I'll take pictures of the steps. That way people might learn something from my mistakes - or success, lol. I have the necessary supplies but need to be cautious with the timing because they should need 18 hrs or so to set up before the fun begins. Next weekend looks like a possibility but we're supposed to have an estate sale to get rid of some stuff from my FIL's house before we close on it. So it may have to wait some more. :(

Another Wendy Bob looking kool...

jon

Wendy....don't give up your Egyptian bedroom...then I will be the only one out there with one...LOL. Which reminds me...how about a King Tut mug some day...just sayin' might be good.

I can hardly wait to see our Cap City crawl mug this year...I know it will be awesome as always.

WOW Wendy!! Really love'n the rum barrel. You just keep coming up with great ideas. Thanks for sharing!

littlegiles You have won the first retro-active contest. When you mentioned that you had turned over the page to 200 you won a prize. Here it is. It went into the mail yesterday. It will take around 8 days to reach you. Congratulations.

Yesterday I rubbed off all the tiny pieces of clay that had dried on Barrel Bob. I will sand this and if needed I'll carve some more texture that looks like wood-grain. IN glazes will show the slightest scratch (just see your new Moai). I'll use one of those on the wood and metal glaze on the straps. Your prize Moai will hang on the wall or you can wear it and wear out your neck!

Hale Tiki Dan'ned, I need to remember this.

WaikikianMoeKele and I love hearing from you.

LoriLovesTiki best wishes for your sale. We'll look forward to your project when you have time.

hang10tiki I checked out all your San Diego finds and wow you are one great tiki hunter.

VampiressRN they sell those mugs at the Luxor in Las Vegas. They even come in 18K gold glaze.
Here comes the crawl mugs next steps.

uncle trav thank you for the visit and I thank everyone for liking Rum Barrel Bob.

Progress Report:

First thing in the morning I worked on the Sacramento Ohana Crawl mug. For littlegiles I've started on the butt.
I cut two squares the same size.

I rounded on square and used the other square to make the second one the same shape.

I stuck them in place.

This is the tool I used to shape the pieces.

I removed most of the cellulite from one cheek and left to work on the severed heads.

I have 22 heads left to glaze. I started by painting all 44 eyes with three coats of white paint.

When the eyes were all done I started painting just the black parts on each head.

It takes longer than I remembered for each head. Each black part is done 3 times so it took an hour to get this far for each head and there is still a lot left to do. At the end of the day I had 6. 16 are waiting for the black part to start.

It's time to go to work, cheers, Wendy

WOW! Thanks Wendy. You and Dan rock. I never expected to win a prize but it sure is a great way to start a day. Thank you so much. I think I have a great piece of wall to hang him.

Love the progress on the new mug. You have to admit there is just something fun about a little tiki booty and his is really shaping up, no pun intended. :)

I had no idea the number of steps on each of those severed heads. I thought when you were applying the layers of glaze it was over the other details but now I realize it was more of an underglaze. I learn a lot following along with you on these projects.

Thanks for sharing and letting us join you on these journeys.

Dale

"I caught Dan doing a Justin Beiber with his pants..."
I am so glad I re-read that statement. The first time I read it I just saw "I caught Dan...Justin Bieber's pants..." and I wasn't sure what was going on!!! :lol:

So much cool stuff you are always working on Wendy
The light blue and light green acrylic Moais look like ice sculptures.
The Crawl mug is coming along awesome and I love that Rum Barrel Bob too.

See ya next month!!!

I'll have to show this one to the wahine. She likes mugs with butts. Weird, but they make her giggle. Loves them.

G
GROG posted on Mon, Apr 15, 2013 11:22 AM

This is where Wendy gets her inspiration when sculpting butts.

Dang you, GROG. Dang you to heck. (Professor's mom didn't allow no cussin' about the house . . . or pantsless meanderings, for that matter, Dan.)

A pictures worth a thousand words. And some things are best left unsaid.

Grog is the photoshop master
We all who have attempted to modify photos bow down to your skills

Oh my!! That picture was sooooooo worth the iced tea I spit out across the table.

Dale

I think it is really unkind that everyone is making Dan the BUTT of their jokes!!!!!!!!!!
(wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more, say no more)
~kele

G
GROG posted on Tue, Apr 16, 2013 1:34 AM

On 2013-04-15 15:46, hang10tiki wrote:
Grog is the photoshop master
We all who have attempted to modify photos bow down to your skills

That was an easy Photoshop Hang10. All GROG had to do was put a "Censored" sign over Dan's tushy. Wendy posted the Beiber version of the pic, but she sent GROG the pic right after when his pants fell down around his ankles.

The TV was on yesterday and we were watching as it switched to coverage of the horror in Boston. Even though I continue on here I am not numb to all the suffering. I pray these insane people are caught before they inflict more damage.

hang10tiki says the worst sound is the slurp of a straw in an empty glass. For we the best sound is Dan laughing. GROG you made his day, his week.

Professor G welcome back-side.

MaroneTiki Dan...well we'll leave it unsaid I wouldn't want him to be the butt of any jokes. Well maybe I would.

hang10tiki I'm happy to have you both.

littlegiles I can picture that.

WaikikianMoeKele life is truer than fiction. I already had assked Dan if he'd be my model.

GROG Dan wants the negatives, what will it take? By the way I tugged them down.

Progress Report Severed Heads and the Sacramento Ohana Crawl mug.

I started my day with another group of severed heads.

I only made it long enough to do four more. 12 to go with this first wave of black glaze.

Then it was back to Dan's, I mean the crawl mugs backside.

I'm happy with how this has shaped up. Next I'll work on the head.

I hope you are all well and can smile today. I'm smiling at you, Wendy

The new mug is looking good
Maybe you should have kept your carving tools

Jon

Ps- that silly Grog sure is funny

T

Wendy, and all else, thanks for the good smiles after the news yesterday.

Insane is a good way to describe those responsible for the horror in Boston. I have 3 people who are important to me living there and thank goodness they're all safe but I just don't understand the senseless violence.

Thanks for giving us all something to smile about!

Wendy, that is one fine looking posterior. The mugs backside looks good too. HAHA. The mug is really coming along nicely. It shows how much love you have for what you do by how much work you put into each of your creations.

Dale

hang10tiki I kept all the smaller carving tools I don't want the screws to loosen in my wrist by carving wood. This is one huge mug. You and GROG have given Dan and I many smiles.

TikiAno My glad. We'll be cheering when they catch them.

LoriLovesTiki my nieces sister was with her family in a restaurant at the top of the hotel across the street from the first bomb. They were watching the race and saw the explosion as it happened. I'm glad your family is also safe.

littlegiles pressing a piece of clay between my fingers gives me the joy of a childhood filled with art. My mom was the best. She made sure I never ran out of supplies.

Thank you all for the encouragement, I feel your smiles.

Fluffy found a new high place.

That's a MadDogMike Monkey. He made it for Vampiress RN's room party at Tiki Oasis last summer.

Progress Report

I started the day 8 am with 12 heads to paint. There are 9 on the table. I've painted the first three.

This photo looks the same but its not. The head on the turn-table is a different one. I'm working on the last 6.

Now I've finished the last 3.

I worked 8 am until 11 pm. But I finished the main portion of the black glaze. Black will be back when I mess up the faces.

Without a flash they are weird looking.

Today I'll work with clay and take a break from glazing. It's good to use different muscles. We also plan to take a lunch time trip to Mahalo Tiki's new store. It's very exciting to have a tiki store open in Sacramento.

Thank you friends for stopping by during your busy day. I appreciate you all, Wendy

Wow
That was a long work day u had
Don't forget to take a cookie break now n then.
That MDM monkey is cool, I don't remember seeing it in the room at oasis.

Great job on the SH mugs

Jon

I
Iscah posted on Wed, Apr 17, 2013 1:38 PM

awesome to see the work in process. Thanks for sharing, and damn, that sounds like a long day. Someone needs a drink!

Wow, Wendy, it's sure a pleasure :) to watch you work!

That is one very long work day. Breaks are important. Don't overdo yourself.

I hope you had a great visit to Mahalo Tiki's store. Wish there was a store like that near me here in SC, but alas, we are lacking in all things tiki here.

Dale

T

Love the progress on the Sac Crawl mug= excited to see more! Continually impressed by your severed head progress. Woo hoo!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2013 12:23 AM

What the?!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2013 12:24 AM

Damned Tiki Central--triple post this time!

[ Edited by: grog 2013-04-18 09:38 ]

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2013 12:24 AM

GROG guess some form of retaliation is in order. (Sorry to take away from the Dan Wendy show.)

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-04-18 10:47 ]

Sudden urge to climb a tree...

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: Hang10tiki 2013-04-18 14:11 ]

hang10tiki that work day was so long that I couldn't touch those heads yesterday. So I did other tiki clay work and had some fun out. Cookies...I had forgotten about those cookies.

Iscah I had some non-fat milk.

TikiRootsRocka I need to go check up on your work again. I wouldn't want to miss your work. It was good to see you at DTB's.

littlegiles I've got photos for you below. I just noticed my Zombie's Torch mug on your logo. That was really fun to see, thank you.

TikiAno I love those Woo Hoo's.

hang10tiki is that GROG hanging out in my garage?

GROG
What the?!

GROG
What the?!

GROG
What the?!

Your post is now up to three times the first one. Three times as good.

hang10tiki What the?!

We started off our day with a trip to the new Mahalo Tiki Store. They are still in the process of hanging wall art. My photos do not show it all.

Here's Dan with Mrs. Mahalo Tiki aka Mary.

I spied some of my Moai sculpts by Roge.

Even better some of my work in a glass case!

Dan bought a Mahalo Tiki logo T-shirt and a made in Hawaii shirt. We were their first customer at the new store. I made sure there was a dollar bill in the money I handed over. Maybe it will be framed.

Congratulations Nelson and Mary. Your shop looks wonderful. It's fine with me if you want to post your Web Page link on my thread. You all can shop from home.

Then we drove on to Folsom California for lunch. Gold dredging has left a lot of damage along the American River and next to the city.

It is interesting to see.

At Casa Ramos Dan ran into his friend. The two most interesting men in the world.

Progress Report

More work on the Sacramento Crawl mug due in October. I started the mouth. The clay is so hard I did it a small block at a time.

I can't match the mouth perfectly because I need to be able to mold it. So the lips go straight back. I could use a Tiki Ano trick and press the inside of the mouth down once I have it cast in slip and out of the mold. I'll try it.

It's really important to look at it from every side.

Once I got the lips in place I can see that the head will be taller than what I have here. I'll add more clay to the top. This will be a huge mug.

Here I started adding clay to the sides of the mouth.

Once it was built out I used my label scrapper to cut off clay and to shape the mouth.

Done for the day. The mouth is not done.

Thank you for checking on my progress, Wendy

GROG I love you and hang10tiki showing off your skills here. Dan will be jealous its not been done to him. (: Wendy

G
GROG posted on Thu, Apr 18, 2013 10:22 AM

It could happen.

GROG miss Tiki-Kate

[ Edited by: GROG 2013-04-18 10:31 ]

B

Thanks for stopping by the store yesterday.... We love that you were our first sale in the new retail version of Mahalo Tiki.

So we are now mail order internet sales,retail, and show sales. We are moving up!

Love to fill up that cabinet with Wendy Cevola art!

Big hugs!!

oops.... Logged in with the wrong ID! Need to kill that old one BAVTECH account.

That darn Grog
Now I'm all itchy

Nice travel pics

Dan-O doesn't drink often, but when he does its always with that flat guy

Nice mug update

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies