Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 30, 2018 8:41 PM

Looking good.

You're still leaving the i off in "JEANNIE", though. ----The Spelling Police :)

All the dozen's of times I left off the i, I blame it on my typing skills. I just tried to find them all to correct so that I won't have to go to GROG's jail. Please don't come lock me up we have a HUGE garage sale to pull off.

Say hi to Jeanne when you see her. Wendy

Dang
On vacation for 10 days and Dan-0 goes Krazy
:)
I understand needing room
Wish we could be there
Love the table full of wooden carvings

I dream of J mug looking good

I’ll post pics of our Oahu trip if you want

Cheers

Yes Yes please post your Oahu photos here. I love your trips, they are so different from ours. Welcome home. Wendy

OK

Day 1

Off to Ko Olina for a Monkeypod Mai-Tai and lunch
Then walked around the Disney Resort

Off to Dole

Hit a few shops in Haleiwa, saw some Gecko mugs

My favorite Ukulele store (I’ll be back)

Checked into our hotel, our room view

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-03-31 17:28 ]

hang10tiki I hope you post many more photos. I really need to see what's on the North Shore of Oahu. Dan's looking at them with me. 10 years ago at the Dole Plantation you could by a huge sausage sandwich and Dole Whip too. It was the best ever sausage sold at a stand on the left outside of the building. Did you see it? Fingers crossed.

===============================

The last steps for the I Dream of Jeannie bottle. Soon you'll see how I make Jeannie.

Today I was able to dig out the remaining clay from the inside of the bottle stopper. Hopefully I got enough so that it will not crack.

I didn't want to just glue gems onto the bottle where they could be knocked off so I carved out flat areas in which to glue them. I made them larger than the gems because the clay shrinks as it dries and again as it is fired.

I did this for each gem shape I have for the bottle.

The inside is going to be Jeannie's home. I can't really replicate it but I can make some similarities.

I looked at the back wall.

I couldn't get my hand in far enough to do more than a couple of large versions. I will be able to glue gems into the round areas.

The bottle didn't crack today when I would on and off put it out to dry. I am hopeful it will be ok. Cheers, Wendy

Didn’t see the stand
But I may have missed it

I like the IDofJ

Day 2

North Shore

Great walks
Small surf
Few drinks

Day 3

Chinamans hat didn’t fit either of us

Day 4

Waialua coffee and farmers market
Lots of time in the water (no camera)
Then got a ride to La Mariana

Day 5

A good 6 HRs of walking
Lots of beach glass

Day 6

Leaving North shore at noon

Woke up by thunder

Sunrise

Breakfast

Off to Sunset beach

Time to check out of Turtle Bay :(

Drive by THE sign

Check into the HHV for 1 night

hang10tiki is this the end of your trip? Are there more photos? How long did it take to get from the airport to the Turtle Bay Hilton? Was Gecko at La Mariana? Did you video a movie of lightening and then grab a photo from it. I think you have cute feet and I loved the wind messing SewTiki's hair.

==================================

Wishing you all a happy Easter.

Wish List #8 it's now time to make Jeannie. She doesn't fit into the bottle. Both pieces are stand alone art pieces.

The challenge is changing a mermaid into Jeannie.

I needed a model and it didn't take one day to pick a position it took two days.

The last pose is the right one.

I do a lot more in a day than I post so I'm always behind. Over time I catch up. Cheers, Wendy

Dan-0 is quite the model

Nope
More days to come
More pics to follow
Airport to North Shore should be 1 hr or so
Didn’t contact Gecko ahead of time so we didn’t see him
Yes, video of lightening then took a photo :)
It was windy the 1st 5 days or so

Cheers

Day 7

Moved over to the Outrigger Reef
1st night room view

Beach walk to see Diamond Head

Royal Hawaiian for drinks

Again I had to pull the vines back from our little friend

Awesome drums at the Royal Hawaiian

Off to the International marketplace

Myna Bird

Cocktails

Plan to hit this place later

Dinner time
Love this place

Great day

Day 8

Changed rooms
Beach front was available

More long walks

Next
Off to KoHana Rum
$10.00 for 2 oz of their Rum
4 different Rums to sample
A must stop for you Rum people

Next
Back to Turtle Bay to watch the sunset

Dinner and
Saw the guy from “Lost”

Day 9

Last full day

Lots of walking and drinks

hang10tiki...Wow you sure know how to post fancy photos. I'll never know how to do that with mine. I love the flower photos. Did you both have a massage?

===============================

The PURGE for the tiki garage sale on April 14th, 8 AM until 1 PM continues. Dan decided to start pulling out more expensive mugs so there will be many 2001 early Tiki Farm mugs for $10 and many others like Bosko and Munktiki for $15 to $35. So there will be many unexpected mugs in this sale.

If you need our address just ask.

Dan is searching each shelf in his whole collection looking for mugs he can now bare to part with. He brings me a tray and I price each item and place it on a table. Mugs everywhere so that many people can find something at the same time.

I need 50 people to buy 20 items each and we'll have a sell out. We have priced just under 1000 items! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-04-01 19:59 ]

Holy crap! I would go broke at your garage sale, for sure. I actually considered going to California, but we're going to Maui in 3 weeks, and that just seems a little crazy. (Plus I'd spend all my money and then have to ship a lot of boxes back to Canada.) Good luck, I'm sure it will be a huge success!

W- massage was for the spousal unit,
she said it was the best one ever

Wow, best tiki garage sale in history

Pidders- have fun in Maui

Day 10
Lots of walking

Goodbye room

Time to go

Got my new Ukulele

Paintings at the airport

Finds pulled off the island

Aloha Baby !!!!!!!!

hang10tiki thank you so much for the trip to Oahu. When do we get to go on your next vacation?

Wish List #8 the I Dream of Jeanne bottle the part I almost forgot!

For a very long time the bowl was too soft to pick up. Then one day I remembered that there was a bottom to the bottle that needed a lot of care. So I flipped it over and this is what it looked like.

I started slowly carving around the base. I made this bottle very thick so that I could do carvings without problems.

I kept carving and smoothing with a sponge.

Time to check it out. When I looked at this photo I could see that the opening at the bottom was higher on one side. Photos always help. So I adjusted it.

Now I carved out the inside of the ring and

then I did my copy write and made it a 1/1 never to be done again.

Wendy

Anytime
Nice bottom

hang10tiki I'm so glad you liked my bottom. I think it's the first time I did one of those.

=============================

Wish List #8 continues on with the making of Jeannie of the I Dream of Jeannie series.

The hardest part will be doing the legs so I'm going to clean this up and

start with the clothes.

There is ric rack on the pants top and hat that I will paint on with a needle. Too small to carve.

Now we are getting someplace. I just have to figure out the legs.

Wendy

Wish List #8 more work on the I Dream Of Jeannie genie. This is build the pony tail day. The hair on her head will have to be braided by the end but for now it's too soft.

It would be so easy to throw a blanket over her legs and to not build them. Not an option so next up will be the hardest part.

Wendy

Like that hair

This is the photo I'm copying. Yours has a different hairstyle!

Wish List #8 the I Dream of Jeannie statue for Bulkmar needs legs. I had to just keep trying to get it close to being right.

I started by adding big globs of clay.

I'm looking at those photos of Dan as I work.

Slowly keeping air pockets out of the clay I've built her legs.

Taking a step back I can see there's way too much clay and her legs look heavy.

It's time to start over and I begin doing amputations.

I slowly reshape her legs.

I am sooooooooo happy. I'm pointing at an air pocket that I missed. This would have destroyed Jeanne. By starting the legs over she's been saved.

Oh heck why not try a different pose.

Nope didn't like it so it's back to plan one. I have now added a shoe.

I have to keep looking at angles. She will have her belly dancer pants hanging from her leg to the floor.

Ok, I'm satisfied with them as they are now.

After a week of firming up I'm ready to dig out the excess clay.

By the next day I had it ready to dry however I

needed to make her bench a bit more decorated.

I don't always know what I'm doing but I just keep working with it until it looks right.

I think I need to change our title from tiki garage sale to tiki art sale. Dan is letting these go. Both of the paintings are origianls. The Place of Refuge painting is by A. Swensen 2009 and the next Nightfall painting by Ken Ruzic 2011. We bought them we loved them but never had room to display them as they deserved. So the hope is they go to a home that will really show them off. The last is a wood carving. I can't make out the name of the island where a couple of men found it and put their names on the back. Rub some dark stain on this and it will be outstanding. Dan continues to rip out his heart to make this sale a really good one.

I hope to see many of you at the sale. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-04-05 08:22 ]

Tiki Art and Ceramic sale. Elk Grove, CA. Contact me for the address. April 14th, 2018 8 AM until 1 PM.

Bring boxes and wrapping material. Write your name on the box. When it's full put it under the check out table and go fill up another one.
When you are ready to check out you can line up your boxes and we'll add it up. You give me the money and you are on your way.

CASH only no credit cards.

Here are some more recent photos with additions.

Dan brought out 5 more trays of mugs for me to price.

I got them priced and there's still some more room.

I will raise the garage door enough to push out the check out table and then I'll close it up. Entry will be a 6 foot area at the side of this table at the left side of the large garage. The other garage door will remain close except for a foot to let light inside. This way if you are first in line you will be the first to enter the garage. So line up and be courteous.

I look forward to meeting old friends and to make many new ones. Cheers, Wendy

PS more photos as we find more items

Wish List #8 the I Dream of Jeannie project is finished being sculpted. It's time to have her and the bottle slowly dry and then to be fired.

She will have a see through cloth veil, the bottle will have cushions and gem stones. So glad to have this part done. There is still so much left to do and who knows it could all crack or blow up in the kiln.

Wendy

Looking fantastic!

P
Philot posted on Fri, Apr 6, 2018 9:27 AM

Wow, the Jeannie project is really coming together. Can't wait to see when you start working on the glazing.

Is this going to be Jeannie or her evil twin sister Jeannie?

Philot the man who ordered works for Disney in Florida so it's defiantly the good girl. I'm glad you like it. The glazing and enamel will make or break it. Oh no I shouldn't say that because it hasn't yet fired. Horrors!

Always working on multiple projects at the same time. So while setting up the garage sale this is what's also going on.

Remember the bowl I broke by losing concentration?

It came out of the kiln just fine. The repair with Magic Mend worked.

After unloading the kiln it

was time to wash the art in 40 degree water.

Yep I've got tables filling up back in the house. I have to keep them dust free.

After sanding it was time to

fill the kiln.

Two days later it was time to

unload the kiln.

Then back to washing and taking it all back into the house.

We have been lucky. Each work day we find tasks that work with the weather conditions. I sanded in the shed with a heater behind me. I'm wearing ear guards because Dan is outside dusting with the air compressor.

Another load of Sacramento crawl mugs into the kiln

for firing.

This is my hobby so not matter what it is all fun work. Wendy

Everyone knows I can't stay away from a good swap. I jumped in and finished sculpting my I Dream Of Hawaii project. The big challenge will be in the glazing.

So here it is, my nightly dream.

I first cast a Tiki Bob.

I cleaned him up and made his eyes larger and

then made them look closed as if dreaming.

For whimsy I did pineapple ears on each side of his head.

This is how I started the lei.

I then turned each pressed area into a flower.

I stopped taking photos until he was finished so here are all the sides.

The sun and Diamond Head.

A check list of the island he dreams of traveling to.

Pineapples and

Palm trees.

Tying it to the swap.

All done and ready to dry. Then he'll be sanded and bisque fired. That's a ways away.
Thank you MadDogMike for another fun swap.

Wendy

The work on the Sacramento Crawl mug for October 2010 continues step by step and day by day. It's really adding up now.

Each time we fire we wait until the kiln is room temperature to open it. This prevents cracking.

Also we are going to wash these mugs in very cold weather because it's still winter outside.

They are lining up one by one in the hallway inside our home. We keep them dust free with a plastic cover.

The mold is beginning to leak. Not so much that I have to plug it.

Once they are dry in the garage they come to the shed to further dry.

Then they go outside to be sanded.

Dan dusts them. Washing off dust once they are fired is way harder than dusting them first and washing off the residual.

Dan loads each one after

he dusts it.

Another batch is fired and

removed from the kiln for washing.

Outside they go and then

into the scrub water and then rinsed in the next tub.

See how far I've leaped ahead now.

That's 78 mugs so far.

I've never been this far ahead before. Looks like I can have a few days off! Wendy

I've never been this far ahead before. Looks like I can have a few days off! Wendy

Shhhhhh....if you say that, you jinx it. If anyone deserves some days off it is surely you two.

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Apr 9, 2018 5:49 PM

I dig the Swap Bob. His Diamond (fore)Head is a nice touch....

littlegiles oh oh, does that mean no one will show up for our huge tiki garage sale or does it mean none of the glaze will stick to the volcanos and it will all run off the bottom? Our days off will be the day of the sale and the day after as we organize what is leftover!

Hamo Diamond Head are his "bangs". I'm happy you like the dreamer.

=========================================

This is the countdown to the HUGE Tiki Garage Sale. Here are the last of the photos and rules.

April 14th, 2018. Doors open at 8 AM and close at 1 PM.

Here are some more photos.

Dan figured out the best area for hanging the Hawaiian Jam's World shirts for sale.

100% rayon and very well made. Four dollars each, so cheap you could buy them just to wrap your mugs for the trip home!

Here's what the sale looks like from the driveway. We were able to separate two tables so more people could get in close.

The back left wall has shelves with mugs too.

The plastic sheets in the back are covering things not for sale. Our garage is decorated tiki so if there's no price tag on something that is hung on a wall then it's not for sale.

This rack hangs well above a doorway. Sit it on a ledge and put in two nails at the top. Dan's selling all the mugs we had on it so he decided to also let the metal rack sell.

Sometime prior to 2006 I won these two boxes of Moai lights on eBay. They were listed as "new old stock".

We never hung them and put them away. Dan just accidentally found them in time for our sale.

They are clean and

all the bulbs lit up for each box.

I had no table space left so I put them here in front of the back table.

We went and bought one more table for check outs. You load a box then unload it on this

table and we'll add up what you spent. Or you can write your name on the box and set in on the driveway with me until you have finished shopping and filling all your boxes. I will have felt pens available during the sale.

Bring boxes and bubble wrap. I am not supplying these it's up to you.

Thank you for checking out our sale. Cheers, Wendy

PS if you need our address just write a note here are send me a personal message, I also take them on facebook

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-04-10 09:46 ]

Busy busy
Like that swap Bob

Garage sale
No way
Biggest TIKI sale ever !!!!!!!!!

U will have many happy people show up I’m sure

Cheers

hang10tiki you did an accurate description of our days!

===================================

In addition to our garage sale there is clay work to be done each day. Here's what we have been up to.

There are more volcano crawl mugs and then all the Bumatay Mermaid bowls.

Since the volcanos are thicker I decided to do the bowls so that the heat of firing will further insure the volcanos are dry.

I had to wait until the bowl was dry before I could flip it over to clean up the fish attachments. I want to carve down the lumps of clay.

HORRORS! it didn't go well. One of the fish just popped loose, flew through the air and broke into pieces.

I can't fix the fish so I smoothed the area he came from and added the name of a new bar.

Close up.

Then I sent the bowl to Dan for dusting. I heard an, "OH NO", it happened again a fish came loose.

He didn't touch it. I must have loosened it when I was carving down the clay lumps.

This fish was opposite the other one that fell off. So I added these words.

At least the fish were in good places.

I did more sanding, Dan dusted and then to the kiln room for the day it will fire.

This bowl was or is for Karen Nichols. I will now inform her of what has happened. Only 6 more bowls to go. Clay is fragile
so many steps can go wrong, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-04-11 09:37 ]

https://www.facebook.com/wendy.cevola

If you friend me on facebook you will be able to watch a video I made showing everything on the tables for the garage sale.

Today I made sticker tags with the men's sizes on the shirts to make it easier to select what will work for you.

The single garage door will remain closed during the sale so that everyone will stop at the check out table.

Wish List #8 continues on one project at a time. Some projects require a re-do and a re-do and here's what's happening.

The I Dream of Jeanne statue needed to have her bottle nearby in an appropriate size. So here are the steps to making the tiny bottle and what happened at the end.

I just took some clay and made sure there were no air pockets in it.

Then I made this shape and let it sit overnight to firm up.

The next day I started adding clay to build it into the right shape.

From this point on it's add clay and carve.

Even something this small is hard to make so I want credit for it.

All done and very small.

Taking this photo showed me that somehow I had not made the bottle topper the right shape. Comparing the small bottle, the drawing and what I had made was an eye opener. I will make the topper again. This is the third time.

With a flash.

Back to work! Wendy

As a friend once said, "hells bells", I'm not sure what it means but it feels right. I have just been told that a mug in our garage sale has been selling on eBay for $300 to $400 dollars. The person that told me offered $200 if I would take it out of the sale and ship it to him.

Well I can't be really stupid so I raised the price to $150 making it the most expensive item in our sale. If it sells great, if not I will ship it to the person who told me who is in Florida. Sorry to those who wanted it for the first price.

I hope by letting everyone know on all my posts that no one will make a trip to our home just for this one mug whose price is now higher.

Thank you, danlovestikis aka Wendy

1 more day

hang10tiki now it's tomorrow. Fingers crossed that it goes well.

=================================

Jungle Bird is open noon until 1 AM on the day of our sale.
Those of us in Sacramento know that we are very fortunate to have this very authentic tiki bar so close by.
Be sure to visit after you are done at our sale. The food, drinks and atmosphere are all you could hope
for so don't miss it.

Address: 2516 J St, Sacramento, CA 95816

==========================

Today we finished stetting up inside.

I set up the two original paintings. Ken Ruzic's is covered with glass but that can be removed.

I put together bags of similar or related items and added them to the sale.

These are located at the back of the garage.

The sale is tomorrow and now it's exciting. I hope we can sleep tonight. Cheers, Wendy

Have fun tomorrow, Wendy! Wish I could drop by but I'll be in LA-la land. Probably for the best as we don't need anything more stuff...

Joshua Bell we can only hope that our garage is emptied tomorrow.

Tiki Mugs: Cult Aritfacts of Polynesian Pop by Jay Strongman

I have one of these books in my garage sale. After being notified of it's "worth". I looked further. While people are asking for $1,000 to $9,000 for one of these books on Amazon the last one sold on eBay for $195. So the price for my copy, in excellent unread condition is now $85. This will be one of two items in the sale that we would actually make a profit on. The rest are deeply discounted to move out of our garage. I hope you can all make it there. Wendy

Tiki Mugs: Cult Artifacts of Polynesian Pop (Hardcover)
by Jay Strongman
4.8 out of 5 stars
13 customer reviews Share

Price + Shipping

Condition (Learn more)
Delivery
Seller Information
Buying Options

$1,019.26

• $3.99 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax
    Used - Good

Arrives between May 4-25.
Ships from Spain. Learn more about import fees and international shipping time.
Shipping rates and return policy.

Atmosphere Bks
4.5 out of 5 stars
75% positive. (4 total ratings)

Add to cart
from seller Atmosphere Bks and price $1,019.26

$1,019.26

• $5.62 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax
    Used - Good

Arrives between May 4-25.
Ships from Spain. Learn more about import fees and international shipping time.

Atmosphere Bks
4.5 out of 5 stars
75% positive. (4 total ratings)

Add to cart
from seller Atmosphere Bks and price $1,019.26

$1,103.32
& FREE Shipping + $0.00 estimated tax
Used - Acceptable
Cover appears used and pages may show heavy wear. May have notes,... » Read more

Arrives between April 23 - May 1.
Want it delivered Friday, April 27? Choose Standard Shipping at checkout.

Red Rhino
4.5 out of 5 stars
92% positive over the past 12 months. (7,183 total ratings)

Add to cart
from seller Red Rhino and price $1,103.32

$4,457.00

• $3.99 shipping + $0.00 estimated tax
    Used - Acceptable

Arrives between May 18 - June 15.
Ships from NJ, United States.

Jersey Media
5 out of 5 stars
98% positive over the past 12 months. (1,170 total ratings)

Add to cart
from seller Jersey Media and price $4,457.00

$9,814.18
& FREE Shipping + $0.00 estimated tax
Used - Good

Arrives between April 25 - May 3.
Want it delivered Tuesday, May 1? Choose Standard Shipping at checkout.

The sale is over and we are exhausted. It went like this...

7 PM the first people arrive and spend the night in their car.

6 AM the largest number of people start to arrive.

8 AM we open the door and the everyone fit into the garage perfectly. They filled boxes put their names on the boxes and put them on the driveway.

9 AM everyone has paid and is on their way to other places.

9 AM until 1 PM we had only a few people come so it was our pleasure to not only sell items but to give them all a full tiki home tour.

Everyone was delightful. Otto and Baby Doe saw our home for the first time and scooped up boxes of treasure even though they came late.

We still have tiki mugs and miscellaneous for sale. If you want to come over send me a message, there are lots of bargains. Photos soon.

Now it's time to rest. Thank you all for making our garage sale such a success.

Cheers, Wendy

Need photos

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies