Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

I finally got a photo of Scottie and Scrabble together. They visit each morning I work in the garage.

Today I decided that I would never make this mug again. I only made a few but they didn't click with anyone but myself and Moai Mike. He of course has been to Easter Island and this mug is the alphabet of that island.

At first I was going to break up all the pieces and toss them out. Then I decided to do something different.

I took a chisel and removed the design from each piece until

it was smooth.

Then I cast a mug. Yep I now have another fogcutter mug mold. The shape I use to do tapa mugs.

I put this one in a plastic bag for when I start on Phase Five of Wish List #8.

As we have all been taught, think it through before you act! Wendy

Always thinking

awwww....I think the Easter Island mug is beautiful and I'm shocked I don't recall ever seeing that mug before.

Love the idea of altering and reusing the mold. Good thinking!

H
Hamo posted on Mon, Aug 12, 2019 7:35 AM

Belated Happy Birthday, Wendy.

Brother visiting us

Frankie’s and the Golden Tiki

Surprise!!! We have been in Medford Oregon for an entire week. We were enjoying a family reunion. We got home last night and after hugging the two neighbors cats this morning who came to welcome us we are getting back on schedule.

hang10tiki I hope that's a good thing.

littlegiles I posted the process but no one seemed interested. I kept one for myself, sold I think 3 or maybe 4 more and now it's history. Oh well.

Hamo thank you. We actually were in Oregon on that day and celebrated my birthday with family which hasn't happened in decades. It was fun.

hang10tiki Dan said Las Vegas every five years.

Last Trip 2/9/2016. I'm going to try to fool Dan into thinking it was 2015 so we can return in 2020!

==========================================

We passed Mount Shasta coming and going to Oregon.

===========================================

I'm once again behind in posting but I'm going to do catch up's. First I have to organize the photos to make sure I'm not repeating myself.

Back soon, Wendy

Awesome
Ready for more of your trip pics

hang10tiki I'm just going to get back to posting my art. The family photos are just people photos as we sat around tables eating and talking. Your photos are so much better and interesting too.

==============================

The catch up begins. These photos were taken from 7/2/19 through 7/5/19. You've seen the finished pieces on some of these but here are the steps.

I converted one of my Frankoma War God statues into a mug, not easy to do. Then I picked out a whole lot of colors to see if I could make it match the Frankoma Glaze in some way. Their glaze was unique and I didn't come close. This wish was for John Markovich.

=====================

I made this wish for Alexis Antonio. I added side pieces and then hand carved the entire lamp to make it unique.
It took four layers of glaze and two firings to finish this lamp.

============================

I found some new glaze colors at Alpha Fired Arts. I did my glaze tests for each one. 3, 2 and 1 layers so I'll know how they look when used on my art. I have a wall of these in my kiln shed. I gather what I need for each project and match them to the jars of glaze and go to work.

=============================

During the process to make the Wish List and the Sacramento Crawl mug I do Tiki Bob's in my spare time. It's all fun. I supercarve the outsides and after firing I choose a glaze color or more. This one is dark berry.

==============================

I cast a Tiki Bob and when I was setting him down he dropped from my hands onto the table. It made his slightly lean to the side. So of course he has to become the Leaning Tower of Tiki Bob. A bear to carve and a bear to glaze. Sold to Julie Crawford.

=========================

When I catch up all the glazing photos I will post the finished projects again! I am currently glazing each day and that's why I've gotten behind in posting. I will catch up! Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-08-18 19:29 ]

Pisa Bob is amazing- what a fun way to turn an oops into something super fun and unique!

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Aug 18, 2019 5:06 PM

I had my sister and brother-in-law over for dinner a few days ago, and as I was making Mai Tais, my brother-in-law asked, "When did you get the Tiki Bob?"

"How did you know it was a Tiki Bob?"

"I listen to you sometimes."

Anyway, he likes your Bob almost as much as I do. Thanks. I like that Pisa Bob, too.

Sandbartender that was a fun idea when it happened. We have been there so I used one of my own photos for detail.

Hamo that is so cool that he knew the name. Many tiki people don't. I've been asked why I make so many owls and clowns.

Catch up glazing photos 7/2/19 through 7/8/19.

This is back when I still let our neighbors cat into our home. I still see her each morning but she has to stay outside.

Cheers, Wendy

P

On 2019-08-17 09:20, danlovestikis wrote:

errr, wotsit? What's the thing in the center of this picture here Wendy? Must be pretty small judging by the sample tiles around it.

Philot it is a 4 inch tall Frankoma vase. I used it to try to find some similar glazes which proved impossible. Wendy

More catch up photos. These are from 7/8/19 through 7/19/19. So much glazing yet to do on just this Phase Four of Wish List #8.

I think these photos demonstrate why ceramics take such a long time. There's so much to do on each piece just in the glazing phase.

Out of the kiln after the first firing the entire mug was covered with glaze skips. This was washed back when the water was freezing outside and I hurried too fast.

So I scrub it again and glaze it again and it will fire again.

This Tiki Bob was worse. The glaze skips caused glaze to migrate onto the face. I used a dremmel to grind it off.

Then the body was glazed with the blue and the face with clear. It too then went back into the kiln.

This one also needed scrubbing and re-glazing.

The Frankoma mug also needed some more green applied.

The Pisa Leaning Tower of Tiki Bob needed some touch up too.

A Hot Tub Hula Girl out of the kiln needs her

enamel makeup applied. Then she dries for 24 hours and

then is baked in the home oven for 45 minutes.

The lamp didn't have any skips but it had some thin areas that needed

some extra glaze. Three layers just wasn't enough.

Bottom layer filled and

then the top layer.

The kiln is cool and opened. Fingers were crossed!

The mugs came out just fine.

It's fun to unload when everything is deemed Done.

This bowl was made decades ago. I sculpted it and Gecko produced it a few times. The one I did cracked. I tried to hide it with more glaze and it didn't work.

This project was called Missionary's Downfall. I went on to use the girl for my Hot Tub Hula Girl mugs instead.

This is the bottom of this bowl after I whacked it and sent it to the dumps.

More catch up soon, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 20, 2019 10:27 PM

Whoa, that bowl really is a blast from the past. Everything else looks great.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Aug 20, 2019 10:29 PM

Oh, also the zebra sarong on that hula girl is incredible.

Hamo for me too. I could have saved the bowl with putty and enamel but oh well I let it go.

Hamo I had fun dressing the girls and I still do.

=================================

I sure miss having her in the house but I still have a few indoor photos of Scrabble to share. The salt and peppers are Dan and I in my mind.

====================

It's time for another Wish to be filled. My wish is that people want something I figured out like a Hot Tub Hula Girl or that they design their own mug/bowl/etc and I make it for them.

This one is what the Wish List is all about.

hang10tiki completely designed this mug and I made it. It is truly an Easter Island mug.

Here are the steps it took to glaze his design.

To do all the many layers it took from 7/9/19 through 7/17/19. Looks fast here but it must dry between each layer.

This is how I'm very careful to not put the GREEN (yep it's green) glaze onto the tikis.

I decided to make sure that all the deep carved lines were well layered so I started with them first.

Then I covered the rest of the mug.

Layer after layer, day after day. I have to keep in mind that this green glaze will run and I don't want it to end up on the tikis.

Then it was the tikis time.

OK hang10tiki it's getting closer to the shipping day. Wendy

Amazing Wendy
I can’t wait
:)

Wow! I was sad to see the earlier Easter Island mugs become no more - I really liked those but didn't manage to get one.
And now this! Great design Hang10 and beautiful job bringing it to life, Wendy.

hang10tiki I promise that it will be green once it fires. I'm so happy you like it so far. We do too. You thought up a great mug.

bamalamalu I do the Wish List to be challenged to make things I had never thought of. This sure did fill the bill! I liked my Easter Island Alphabet mug but I had no response to it so it had to go. Oh well. I'm happy you liked it.

Sometimes I ship before I have shared all the steps. But I can't resist showing Julie Crawford Brown's Tiki Bob Collection. She just added my Leaning Tower of Tiki Bob Pisa, Italy to her shelf right next to a bottle Tiki Bob I made years ago.

These steps were done from 7/7/19 to 7/17/19. I had to dry the mug after each layer of glaze so it took a long time.
But when Scrabble spent her days with me the time went by fast. So much joy to look at her relaxing while I worked.

She always kept an eye on me.

So this Wish was for a Tropical Tiki Bob with Bird of Paradise flowers.

It was a bear to glaze.

All the layers except for three more of clear on the face have been done. Now it waits to be fired. Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #8 Phase Four continues with two free standing hula girls. Except for the cat image these glazing steps occurred from 7/23/19 through 7/27/19. Three layers or more of each glaze, drying the statue in-between each layer.

The first is for Anton Crowne. He requested red hair and I found a glaze called Dark Ginger. He approved.

==========================

This photo was taken on 6/24/19. No matter what day I take a photo Scrabble is darling and beautiful.

===========================

The next free standing mermaid is for my niece Michelle.

She requested she be blond like herself.

Skin is the hardest area I glaze and often has to be repeated again and maybe again after that, Wendy

Great Bob collection,
good colors Wendy.
Like the mermaid

H
Hamo posted on Sat, Aug 24, 2019 7:40 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing how the mermaids' hair comes out--maybe those colors would work for my hula girl bowl (that is if you haven't glazed it yet.)

hang10tiki They will all look so different when fired. Especially your Easter Island mug.

Hamo the finished photos will be up in the future for you to check out.

===============================

I just had fun with one of Roge Bodine's chuck lamps with my moai on the front. The person was coming to my home for his wish and then he and Nelson were hooking up in San Francisco so he could pick up this lamp. To help them out Dan and I drove to Mahalo Tikis place of business to pick the lamp up. Nelson aka Mahalo Tiki showed me it had a large chip. I figured out that I could repair it so I did. Now my wisher will get both at one stop and a free repair to boot.

Here's the chip.

First Dan and I went for a walk in our neighborhood looking for a couple of rocks that would fit. Found them!

Next I used an acrylic clear glue.

I pressed them in place and let them dry overnight.

Then I painted them with enamel paint.

All done and blended with the other rocks so that they all match.

The lamp is now ready for pick up along with his wish.

A benefit to driving all the way to Nelson's was that we found a new favorite restaurant. Yummy Kabob. It's right next door to Chevyland where he works. Everything we ordered was fresh and delicious. Now we can visit Nelson and have a great meal too.

Another fun tiki day. Wendy

Wow
U can fix anything

New restaurant looks good
Next we need food pics

Hit Frankie’s today

hang10tiki you two have so many choices where you live. Frankie's is lucky to have you stop in. We have yet to visit the Golden Tiki so I'm looking forward to that one day. Keep on having fun and sharing it with us all.

==================================

Wish List #8 Phase Four continues with a mug I designed to look like the inside of a tiki bar at night. Or maybe this is just a dream of a tiki bar?

No matter what this mug had so many nook and crannies and different glaze colors that it took from 7/17/19 to 7/19/19 to glaze.

After layer number one was completed it was time to do number two and then when that dried number three.

Once it is out of the kiln I'll know if it needs a layer number four. Sculpting is the fun part. Cheers, Wendy

Good 1

PS
New one for me
my new favorite beer

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2019-08-26 20:04 ]

Here is a repeat of the story I told when I sculpted the Harvey's salt and pepper set. The first photo shows the set that Dan owned. When he started downsizing the collection he let these go to a close friend. Soon after he decided that what he wanted to keep most was his salt and pepper set. So I told him I would sculpt a pair and make them to put back into his collection.

Since we didn't own a set any longer I used a few photos. I sculpted one and we molded it once. I made a small run and people signed up for a pair. Now it's time to glaze them. For Dan I did the glazing in multiple ways to match the vintage pair and the two Harvey's fogcutter mugs. Here they are being glazed.

First I did the best glaze match to the originals from memory because photos are often off when it comes to color matching.

As with all ceramics each one is glazed with three layers. After firing if there are skips more will be applied and re-glazing done.

So the first set, they are not numbered, in orange and purple.

Next I decided to do black and orange.

Next I did black and purple.

Then the last set was done in the green of the last Harvey's fogcutter.

Keep an eye out for the finished photos and then you can decide what color combination you would like. Sandbartender, since yours has C and N on the back you can choose other colors like rust and brown or???

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-08-28 09:57 ]

hang10tiki that's a fun can. I bet you save it as a decoration. Wendy

Tiki Central had a hangover from celebrating MadDogMikes new role as administrator. I had three posts of my salt and peppers show up. Not even a double tap but instead a triple! When TC recovers it will all go away.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-08-28 10:00 ]

Like those SnPs

You know me to well
Yes, I kept the can
:)

Today on TV I heard that the beer can collectors of America are meeting in Albarquirkey, NM. Can you guess I can't spell that cities name.

On 2019-08-28 09:26, danlovestikis wrote:

Keep an eye out for the finished photos and then you can decide what color combination you would like. Sandbartender, since yours has C and N on the back you can choose other colors like rust and brown or???

Cheers, Wendy

I'm anxiously awaiting the glaze pix, I'll scroll back through the 675-odd pages to see if there are colors that speak to me, but as always, I'm
definitely up for hearing suggestions from the artist.

These are going to look so sexy on my bar. LOL

hang10tiki pineapple and coconut beer. I wonder if that's the fermented part.

Sandbartender since you think they look sexy I will tell Dan since it's his butt on the backside. It will make his day!
My favorite color for these is the green. I'm catching up fast so soon they'll show up.

================================

Progress Report for Wish List #8 Phase Four. This War God Island is the wish of Eric Allred. Each one of these is hand built and connected to one of Joniece Frank's War Gods so I can only take credit for the volcano the tiki will always be hers and her initials are on the bottom. I told her I would always do that. I wish she could see this design but she's passed on.

It takes a lot of different glazes to make this look good.

Scrabble comes every day. She doesn't understand that she can't come in any longer. After being busted as a cat nabber I am being really good. I do go outside and scratch her all over and I do sneak her a few Temptations. Cat really do love those treats.

Back to glazing. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-08-30 09:06 ]

P

It's a wonder you don't have cat hair getting into everything when you're trying to glaze.

Also, you admit to giving her treats. Naturally she keeps you on her route.

We were feeding the local opossums & raccoons because our cats found them very entertaining.
Our mistake was we slipped up and gave them the food we were giving the cats.
Next thing you know we have n+1 cats. Ooops.

[ Edited by: Philot 2019-08-29 10:26 ]

Poor Scrabble!!! =( She's such a sweet kitty. I'm glad she was visiting when we did!

Philot Scrabble has such long hair that we were vacuuming the carpet and chair after each visit. Dan is very happy she doesn't get into the house any longer. I only had a couple of floating hairs come near my work. It's dust that is such a huge problem. Dust comes from the ceramics itself so if I don't get the piece scrubbed and rinsed and well protected until I get it glazed there's going to be skips.

It just so happens that's what I posting today.

If you feed them they will come!

HopeChest this morning she left her owner to run over to us. Oh the power of Temptations!!!

====================================

Progress Report on Wish List #8 Phase Four.

A load was fired. Some items shipped and some has skips. So when I re-glaze for the skips I also go over the rest of the piece to see if more glaze will improve it. Here's what I did.

On the Tiki Bar Dream mug I purposely didn't put on the background glaze thick because I didn't want it to move onto all the parts. So now I know how much more I can add when I fill in the skips.

This area on the Harvey's salt and peppers was hard to scrubb. I will now do it with a stiff paint brush and glaze again.

Eric Allred's War God Island had lava glaze where the burning sugar cube will go. Well it skipped and needs more lava.

So then I decided to touch up the outside too.

hang10tikis Easter Island mug had these skips to fix. So

I just added a bit more green glaze too.

This green glaze for the Harvey's shakers wasn't thick enough with three layers.

So I added one more. This is my favorite glaze for these shakers.

Tropical Night Tiki Bob needed a lot of touch up.

The mermaid for Anton Crone needed a lot of touch up too.

This is why ceramics at least for me take a long time. But once I get them all done and I'm satisfied with my work
I end up with satisfied customers/friends/collectors too.

These will all fire again and then it will be shipping time. Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Aug 30, 2019 6:40 PM

I thought of you when I found this article about Tiki Bob, especially after reading the Jeff Berry quote, “It’s almost the stuffed animal of tiki mugs.”

http://imbibemagazine.com/who-is-tiki-bob/

Hamo, thank you so much. I read it all and learned so much more. The one thing I had read in the past was that Tiki Bob was fashioned after a white faced African Mask and we have seen some that are very similar to Tiki Bob. After reading the article I should make a Tiki Bob in a nighty!

During the time I work on the crawl mug and Wish List I also have my own projects to do for fun. It is now time to glaze the 1950's Robot. I worked for four days from 7/28/19 until 7/31/19. Hey I finished it one month ago. Then it dried for days before it would be ready for firing.

I made the design this way so that after it fires I can add

some bling to all the indented areas. It's going to be so much fun.

The lid is removable. It proved to be a hard project all on its own and now it needed to be glazed too.

Next I glazed the inside of this enormous mug purple. Then it was turned upside down to drain out the excess.

Next I did the opening in purple.

The surprise about this robot is that he is missing his back plate and all his mechanics are showing. Lots of bling will go here. I did the background in black to make the rest pop.

Now I filled the squeeze bottle with purple glaze so I can color some indented areas and the mechanics.

Done and

also done.

Then I thought that a fourth layer of grey glaze would be good since this is such a large area.

Next it had to dry for many days until the inside is also 100% dry. Glaze boils in a kiln if not dry and then

it pops leaving many holes. I'm hopeful to not have to glaze this guy again.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

Oh, that's awesome! 50's robots are right up there with tiki and classic movie monsters in my book.
I can't wait to see how this one turns out. :)

Awesome Wendy!

Sandbartender Dan loves those movies. He has a collection on DVD's. It's fun making a Robot. Wait until you see it with the bling glued in.

zerostreet thank you Robot oops I mean Robert!

===============================================

Catch up photos for Wish List #8 Phase Four. These photos were taken 8/1/19 through 8/3/19. Four days of glazing and firing.

The Tiki Bar Dream mug needed a whole new layer plus extra where the skips were located.

Done.

I had enough to fire the kiln. Not a full kiln but close enough.

Bottom Shelf ready to fire.

Bottom shelf after firing.

Top shelf ready to fire.

Top Shelf after firing.

The cones here are 05, 06 and 07. To get them to bend just right I am firing my auto kiln at 07. So far it's working. My clay and glazes are all 06's.

I inspected them all and they are fine and ready to go to the next step.

I paint on the faces with enamel and then bake it in the home oven to set the paint.

I will post the finished photos in the next couple of days and then send them out. Cheers, Wendy

Finally I have some wishes completed and I'll be in touch about shipping them out. The first two I'm showing have been seen a bit already but here they come again.

The redhead is for Anton Crone and the blond is for my great-niece Michelle.

For Anton.

For Michelle.

This is the fun part, Wendy

hang10tiki's Easter Island mug is ready to ship. This was totally his design made with my hands. I hope he is able to take better photos than I have here to share in the future.

Photos with and without a flash.

One more wish fulfilled! Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-09-05 20:12 ]

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Sep 3, 2019 9:12 PM

That is a great mug. I especially like how the glazing turned out.

My copy of the Minimalist Tiki cocktail book arrived today, and look at the picture illustrating "Tiki Fire" in the chapter about advanced garnishes:

Hamo that's so fun, thank you for letting me see this photo. I didn't know. Can you tell me how to buy the book. I looked on Amazon and didn't find it.

======================================

Wish List #8 Phase Four continues with a War God Island mug. Tiki by Joniece Frank, island by me. The mug is for Eric Allred. I made this a manly mug but maybe it's not colorful enough. I will be checking with him to see how he feels. He may want red lava drooling over the sides.

The top of the tiki in indented for rum soaked sugar cube fires.

Wishing you all a good week. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Sep 4, 2019 7:18 AM

It’s only available directly from the authors here: https://minimalisttiki.com/

Also, there’s a thread with more info and pictures here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?forum=1&topic=53424

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies