Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

U two sure do have fun
Great finds
:)

happy halloween!

kingstiedye Happy Halloween to you and all of the danlovestikis friends.

I don't remember daylight savings time ending on Halloween before. That gives the creepies a whole hour more to scare us!

Cheers, Wendy

Looks like you had great fun. I always wanted to check out Bodega Bay but it sounds fairly lackluster, so thanks for sharing. Happy Halloween to both of you.

VampiressRN it's the second time we have gone and we drove all over the place. It shouldn't even have a name. It's not a town. It's so tiny.

==============

We went shopping for candy. We are prepared for 500 kids in 1 to 2 hours. When we run out of candy we shut down.

We got this many bags of candy.

I opened them and filled up grocery bags so we can hand them out really fast. Kids line up sometimes 10 in a row and then the next wave comes.

Happy Halloween! Wendy

Wow

We had 4
:)

Halloween here was so much fun. It was warm out and hoards of kids showed up. We had so many toddlers with parents pushing them in strollers and getting candy in bags that we knew these babies couldn't eat that it was really an adult party. We know who was going to eat all the chocolate!

I got dressed and then played dead. I scared the parents when I would screech.

Dan and our neighbor Craig.

We went to a haunted house down the street. It was creepy fun. This clown was about to lose his head!

All the heads that were already removed.

Yummy treats.

The witches room.

It was a fun night. Cheers, Wendy

You kids know how to have all the fun!

Looks like a blast!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

MaukaHale it was fun and the best part was scaring the parents.

LoriLovesTiki thank you and I hope you had fun too.

=================

Wish List #6 Update. I ran out of room in the house so it was time to get the dry projects into the kiln. That way I could judge how many more will fit for this next load.

These were dry so I started sanding them.

This is the Elvis Fun Fake #2.

I was really happy that slow drying prevented this volcano bowl from cracking. Keep in mind it doesn't have an owner.

Clay dust in a kiln shortens it's life so vacuuming out the kiln is needed. However if you blow off the dust

before loading it helps a lot. Also when washing they clean up for glazing easier.

The magic mend didn't hold for poor Gilligan. I barely touched him and he fell apart. This all happened in the first place because I lost concentration and picked him up wrong.

He'll make a fine mug but for Tiki Wahini's Wish to be right I'll make him over again from scratch. He'll have a broken handle in one hand and the broken wheel leaning up against his side.

I filled the bottom and then loaded the top. There is room for more so I'll wait until some more are dried.

We continue to pour the parts for the next batch of Hot Tub Hula Girls.

I'm having fun and keeping busy. Oh and I'm keeping Dan busy too! Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-11-02 08:21 ]

Any leftover candy?

Oh poor Gilligan! I know Gilligan v.2 will be even better. :)

Out hunting today
Saw these

hang10tiki Dan and I finished off what was left yesterday. We shouldn't have done that but it was so much fun!

LoriLovesTiki I'm going to "save" the broken one so it will be fun to compare them.

hang10tiki ooooooooooooh that's so cute. Thank you.

========================

Wish List #6 Update

The next Wish came from Joshua Bell. His idea was so cool. He said that no one has made a mug based on how the Tiki Bob pole in San Francisco looks today. So why not replicate it.

So the mug will be glazed in this green with the face a slightly lighter shade. I hope I can find just the right glazes.

I started the mug by getting out one of my tall Bobs.

Then I took a fogcutter mug and cut it in half keeping the top part to use.

I put sticky clay on the top of the fogcutter mug and then cut off the bottom of the Bob mug. This is a building blocks game.

I stuck them together and smoothed the clay.

Looking inside you can see the seam.

I used this sponge on a long stick to smooth it somewhat and to push out any air bubbles in the clay.

Next I made a bottom for the tall mug.

The classic Tiki Bob mug doesn't look like this pole.

The next part will be to re-do the face to match the pole. Cheers, Wendy

Can't wait to see this

A
amate posted on Wed, Nov 4, 2015 6:36 AM

So sad to see what happened to the Tiki Bob Denver. I really liked that one. That's got to be frustrating...I feel your pain.

hang10tiki see below and no more waiting!

amate in the end it all works out. The broken mug will show the reality of the shipwreck and the new mug will show that Gilligan was steering when it hit the island! I'll end up with two mugs and I hope to make them both look really good.

=======================

Wish List #6 update on Joshua Bell's mug. It is now finished being sculpted. When I sand it the shape will be even more pole like.

Photos sure help. If I wasn't looking at this I would have left the face as a classic Bob rather than as the Restaurant pole.

First I started to build up the mouth and

then the nose.

Next I pressed in the clay to raise the area above the eyes.

Back to the photo, something is wrong with Bob.

Ah, his nose is too wide at the bottom so I did some cutting.

OK now he's looking better.

Doesn't he look happy or maybe its bewildered.

Now he'll slowly dry for several weeks.

I am so excited by this years Wish List, you all came up with some great ideas. More to come, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-11-04 07:39 ]

Looks amazing! Thanks Wendy!

(And I agree, more bewildered than the Bob's usual slightly smug look when in mug form.)

Kool

Joshua Bell I happy to hear that you like it.

hang10tiki (=:

============================

Wish List #6 continues on with the last RVICTOR aka RVtiki Tiki Modern mug for Theo Stool.

Each of these mugs are built from scratch. I start with a cast of one of my fogcutter mugs and then I add clay to make a v shaped face.

Each time I do a face I try to carve it using different step by steps. It doesn't seem to get any faster.

Here I'm building up the mouth.

Side view.

Otto mentioned that it looks like a Tiki Bob variation and in this shape rather than the round shape on the book it really does.

Here I've carved a line that separates the two sides. I've also begun to remove clay from the face in sections.

slowhandtikiman had mentioned that one change I could do would be to do the tapa on the opposite side. I forgot to do that on his so I've done it for Theo.

Here is the plain side.

The tapa is finished.

Full side without a flash.

Full side with the flash.

On the bottom of each of these mugs I've added RVtiki to give credit for the design to RVICTOR.

It all started with RVICTOR's wish for the first mug to be made. He took this photo when the mug arrived at his home.

Thank you RVICTOR for letting me make this great mug which is also a design on Sven Kirsten's Tiki Modern book.

This was the last one on the Wish List so now on to the next Wish. Cheers, Wendy

PS if you would like to see the adventours of Theo Stool friend him on facebook. That stool has been in some famous hands and also some great places.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-11-05 08:23 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-11-05 08:26 ]

Yesterday was a no clay day for us but it was a play day. We went to Modesto to visit CD Tiki and Diana.
I had a couple of Sacramento Crawl mugs to deliver in addition to having a fun visit in their very tiki home.

We had a fun tour to see all the tiki art.

Behind us is their Christmas Tree of netted balls.

Next we went to Minnie's for lunch. There are new tikis out front carved by Vic aka Jungle Trader. The old tikis had rotted away and have been moved to a hidden location.

We went around back to enter the restaurant and viewed more of Vic's creations.

We were ready for a great meal and conversation.

We had wonderful seats where we could look right at Diana and Duane! Imagine that.

On the way home we went on a tiki hunt and we were successful.

Fun stuff at great prices. There was a sale going on.

These went home with us!

Back to the clay today. Cheers, Wendy

Great pics Wendy!

Always havin fun
Looks like you had a good time with D&D

zerostreet thank you, I enjoy sharing them.

hang10tiki it was a really wonderful visit.

=======================

Dan and I had a visit today from Psycho Tiki D and from Tiki Hula.

It was fun to show them all the Wish List projects underway including the one ordered by PTD.

My arm looks so strange in this photo. I need a photo stick.

Wish List #6 update

Psycho Tiki D asked me to make four Tiki Bob's each representing a member of one of his favorite rock bands.

Here's how they turned out.

First I cleaned up four Tiki Bob's.

Then I added KISS to the back of each mug using a replica. I printed it in paper, covered it with tape and cut it out. That way the paper doesn't fall apart from the moisture in the clay.

I did Ace then

Peter and then

Paul.

Of course Gene is more work because of the famous tongue.

I started by opening up the mouth and adding teeth.
Next the tongue and then

the face decorations.

All done and ready to rock n roll all night.

KISS KISS KISS KISS!

That's my sign off for tonight. Cheers, Wendy

hang10tiki that is sooooooooo cute. Thank you always.

I have many photos to post for IDoVooDoo's wish and I've started the new Gilligan for Tiki Wahini.
Meanwhile here are a few catch up photos.

Dan got lucky on another tiki hunt. He keeps working his "finds" into the house.

I found this little shade at a thrift store and added it to my Tiki Bob lamp.

Tiki Bob is turned on.

I have many projects that are slowly drying. Two hours out of plastic and two hours in plastic. This goes on all day every day. Jen Tiki's bowl should have been in this photo. It is also slowly drying. Ceramics take a long time to make when thick amounts of clay are added. So far no cracks.

Here is the bottom of Jen Tiki's bowl based on little lost tiki's painting. I also flip the mugs etc. over when drying to help every surface to dry at about the same speed.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2015-11-09 08:01 ]

Wish List #6 Progress Report

I am working on a two item project for IDoVooDoo. The first half will be a cannibal pot with a man and body parts stewing. The second half will be a tiki holding a trident over the pot to keep control of the man who is still alive. CREEPY good.

I cast the cannibal pot and kept it upside down until it became firm.

Next I began to add flames to the bottom of the pot.

I had to be careful not to add air pockets. I smoothed down all the edges to remove air.

I did the same with the flames. This went into a plastic bag.

Flipped over after a few days have passed and the flames were firm. I cut off the excess clay around the top and smoothed it.

Next I added rivets to the metal band and wood logs under the flames.

I filled in and fixed up this bottom mess again to remove air pockets.

After a few days passed I carved the logs round.

I added the pots handles.

Another few day later I carved some stylized tree growth rings.

IDoVooDoo named this project The Offering.

The question is does this look like he envisioned so far? Cheers, Wendy

This is going to be good

Holy WOW. Awesome. Awesome!

LOVING IT!

hang10tiki you are a psychic!

IDoVoodoo now those are the comments that keep me going. You came up with a challenging project. It may not be perfect but I'm trying.

======================

Wish List #6 more step by steps for the IDoVooDoo project that is in two sections. Here is more of part one.

He requested that a male explorer to have been captured and put in the pot.

It's time to build a body!

With each step more of the body is formed and

detail and

expression added.

I do the expressions in a mirror and found that I needed to add a tongue

and even teeth.

He looked best with a Mohawk hairstyle.

Yes he is male and some part of him is missing. When he's in the pot I'll add it. He is shy. His fingers will be done later. I bet you wonder how he'll fit. You'll soon see how I did it. Cheers, Wendy

So freakin' awesome! Does he have a Mohawk??

Wow!!! This is going to be great!

IDoVoodoo he does have a Mohawk. I always let the clay tell me what to do and it made me put that on there. Is that OK? I'm so happy with your comments but if you need something removed let me know.

Tyber Tiki thank you I'm trying.

===============================

Wish List #6 WARNING THIS HAS THE FULL MONTEY because the man is naked for cooking. This is IDoVooDoo's project but he left it up to me on how to get it to work out. This completes the cannibal bowl but there is a whole second part that goes with it.

The man is still alive as the water heats up. If he were stronger he'd push himself all the way out.

But he is about to be distracted by what's in the pot with him.

Side View.

Full view. XXX I'm not posting this photo on facebook.

Here's the distraction. He is being cooked with a severed female head. Here are

the step by steps as I fine tune her head.

Her head is floating. The interior glaze will be stew colored with blotches. He won't look so naked with the glaze.

Here are a bunch of views.

IDoVooDoo are there any parts that you would like removed??? Cheers, Wendy

J

:o :o :o He's pretty well-endowed for such a skinny guy! I guess the natives will be having a sausage fest!

Who modeled for that? :wink:

R

Wendy - Great work. You are more than welcome to do as many as you wish. My mindless idea, your hard work and skill sculpting. Never get tired of seeing what you can do!

The Offering reminds me of a similar idea I had...Only the person I had drawn in the pot looked more like Rory in his pith helmet. Maybe a mug you do for Tiki Oasis? It would be great.

It's great! And I was definitely not the model, LOL.

JenTiki that's a good one.

tikilongbeach Dan did model for the butt on the 2013 crawl mug so he says he wants to say he modeled for this mug too. However it was the guy who Carley Simon sang "your so vain" about.

RVICTOR thank you I really appreciate being able to make more of your design. John Moulder aka Ekem Bookem made a safari guy in a cannibal pot and sold them at Tiki Oasis this year. I personally would not cook someone with their clothes on and that's why my design looks like this.

IDoVoodoo we will never know if you are telling the truth or not!

==============================

Wish List #6 the IDoVooDoo project continues with part two. THE COOK. This tiki will stand behind the pot with a trident stirrer.

I didn't have a mold for the requested tiki style so I cast an the crawl mug with Dan's butt.

Then I worked to change it. I expanded the belly because he already ate some of the girl and put his contented hands resting there.

Now I cut off the top of the mug to form the head.

I got the basic shape down and it needed to rest for a couple of days in a plastic bag.

Now he's firmed up and can be worked on. First the shoulder.

He has a long way to go but I just do one step at a time. Photos really help. I can tell he needs a jaw line trim.

Thank you for the visit, Wendy

Awesome
Looks just like a guy we had a drink with on Oahu last time

hang10tiki so what was HIS name???

======================

Wish List #6 continues with progress being made on IDoVooDoo's Part 2, The Cook, of his cannibal bowl.

This Cook will eventually have another set of arms. But for now I've fulfilled the request for a fish hook by making it a necklace.

Next I started on the face.

I checked and this tiki is too short to stir the pot so I added a stool to the bottom.

This clay was very soft so the tiki had to sit in a plastic bag for three days before I could work with it.

I added design to the stool to separate it from the tiki.

His left eye is droopy. My lighting is not very good but when I take photos and look at them I find the problem areas. This I will correct.

I've started a bit of carving before the next set of arms are added.

IDoVooDoo do you like the hungry tongue or should I remove it to keep the classic look?

Progress each day. I still have more to sculpt and bisque fire before the glazing begins.

Saturday, a new day begins. Wendy

Wish List #6 the work on IDoVooDoo's combo project continues with more work on the cook.

Now it was time to add the second pair of arms. Clay is soft so to extend the arms out over the pot I needed a support system.

I bought some good quality balloons a few years back and now I've found uses for them. First for an octopus body and now as an arm support. I used wide packing tape to secure the balloon in place.

Next I attached the arm clay at the shoulders.

Both arms in place.

The Tiki will be holding a trident stirring fork/weapon so I fit a stick through the hands.

Drone view.

Next I flattened out a piece of clay and began to cut it into the shape of a trident.

More cuts.

After a day I could pick it up.

I began to work on hand details.

Now I stuck it on the stick to see how it would look.

Little by little I get more of the

carving detail done.

I wish you all a safe day as we continue to grieve for the people of France and our woman student from California. Wendy

Jury Duty starts in the morning. I get to re-live rush hour traffic again. However my husband is giving me an early Christmas present. He is going with me! I had surgery a week ago so he wants to make sure I do well. I LOVE this man. I hope I still have energy for clay when I get home each night. I've been working hard on the Wish List so I have photos to post no matter what. Cheers, Wendy

Just when I think you've hit the pinnacle of your clay career WHAM! something new just wows me!!!!!

That new man being cooked in the pot is amazing and so is the 2nd part. Absolutely fantastic! Glad I came here and got the "full monty" version! :wink:

Keep creating, we all love it!

I agree
This one is looking great
Lots of work

Hope your "duty" is fast

LoriLovesTiki thank you so much. It's fun to have complex wishes like this one. It's my first two piece! I put the full monty here because I know every one so much more "intimately" than on facebook.

hang10tiki thank you always. I've only been kept on one jury. Usually because of our family members in law enforcement and neighbors and friends the defiance kicks us off. Too bad for them because I would study the evidence carefully.

=======================

Wish List #6 IDoVooDoo's project continues on.... I've shown many photos so IDVD can check to see if anything bothers him with the cook. I can still remove things and possibly add things. Let me know.

The arms were finally firm enough to remove the balloon support.

You can see under the arms where they need touch up.

I worked on finishing up the carving details.

Next I tried out the trident.

All the rest are of the two pieces together.

IDVD let me know if you need him taller or any other changes. Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #6 IDoVooDoo's project continues on.... I've shown many photos so IDVD can check to see if anything bothers him with the cook. I can still remove things and possibly add things. Let me know.

=======================

Wow Wendy! I love this one!! In fact if you're taking wishes for #7, and it's ok with RVICTOR, I would like to add this one to my "Wendy" collection!!

T

Holy Moly! Love the latest and greatest. I've been MIA on TC for a while, just stopped in and now have a big grin on my face. Wendy, love keeping track of your art on FB, but reading everyone's commentary makes it even better.

Missed you crazy kids!

I don't think you need to worry about RVICTOR, but about me, as this was my idea. :)

On 2015-11-16 10:50, Tikiwahini wrote:

=======================

Wow Wendy! I love this one!! In fact if you're taking wishes for #7, and it's ok with RVICTOR, I would like to add this one to my "Wendy" collection!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies