Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Each day is fun in the Cevola household. We have projects that take days, some that take hours. Here is a project that took 5 or 10 minutes on and off for a couple of days.

We were In a thrift shop in Yuba City a while back and I saw these two beautiful African lamps. They were on sale for $5 each. I just felt the need to rescue them. So I bought them and brought them home to repair. The process is the same I have used on tiki mugs for many years. In fact that's how I became a tiki artist. It all started with repairing Dan's collected mugs.

Both lamps were abused at the thrift store. I could tell the damage on both was brand new. Such a shame.

This is my go to product for filling chips or even larger areas like the eyes on the lamp.

You fill it with layers letting each one completely dry so they don't crack.

I use a wet brush to sculpt the putty in place.

Then at the end you over fill so

you can sand it.

Then I mix acrylic paint to match the color. If I couldn't get it close I would have painted the entire lamp or spray painted them.

This lamp had a tight hairline that I was able to putty a bit. Now I will paint layers to hide it.

One done.

Both finished. Now I will look for a home for them to go to.

This was just fun to do, Wendy

Another great repair

Did u keep any of your neighbors palm tree to carve?
:)

hang10tiki after I crushed my wrist and got a metal plate and screws I decided I wouldn't hammer any chisels. So nope they were all hauled away. I had no notice where I could notify friends to come and get some. They woke us up and then it was over.

================================

Our downsizing continues. Dan and I each had our own subscriptions to Tiki Magazine. Dan has sold his pristine set and we have shipped it off.

32 copies and one extra duplicate because of some printing error.

Dan did the work to separate the two subscriptions.

I had forgotten about our two pages about our collection and home. It no longer looks like this.

22 issues with Nick Camera as the editor.

10 issues with Amy Bolen as the editor.

We had a few that we had also picked up in stores, these will go into our tiki shop in our home in one bookcase.

We sure miss this magazine. Wendy

Even the magazines are flyin out of the house
Hope ya save the kitchen sink

Have a great day you two

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2018 11:04 PM

Your art was also featured in another issue of Tiki Magazine, too, wasn't it? Hopefully you'll show up in Exotica Moderne, a new publication which seems to have picked up Tiki Magazine's mantle.

hang10tiki after breakfast I scrubbed the kitchen sink so I can testify that it is still there along with so many more tikis!

Hamo you remembered! Yes I was the featured artist later on. I will have to look into the magazine you have mentioned. I worked on your bowl yesterday. The bowl is ready I just have to start on the girls next. This is going to be a slow Wish List completion. My carpal tunnel keeps acting up. I sure did enjoy getting back to the clay.

=============================

This happened a few months back. I'm doing catch up photos now. The kitchen nook was very tiki until we began to sell.

This ladder came and went as the tiki disappeared.

This is our tiki decorated nook.

This has all gone well and I have more to share, Wendy

Very clean

Today we went to Frankie’s

Fink bomb

And the speakeasy at the Mob Museum

Rock and Rye

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-12-21 18:45 ]

hang10tiki thank you for sharing these photos. You make me miss you, Janelle and Las Vegas so much. I'm begging Dan to take me there. So much fun to be had with friends in such a wonderful place. We shipped a mug to Chris.

=====================================

The downsizing continues with the downstairs bedroom. Here are some before and after shots.

Before we started our sales we had every wall covered with tiki items and every surface with them on top.

While we had a blast with these things for 23 years it's time to let them go to new homes. Our room is now calm. On the wall on the right is a swizzle stick display that was made by hang10tiki. A treasure! Next to it is a HB Tiki creation.

At the foot of the bed it looked like this and

now it too is calmed down. We do miss the old look but the time was right to let things go.

I've only had the cats around three years so they get to stay. Dough Christensen on fb made the wall art. He will make anything you desire.

This wall was covered with small display racks filled with my shot glass collection. Putty time. Funny that the repairs only show up when I do flash photography. However we will paint these walls someday.

I made this area my Buzzy Bedroom art collection. If you go to his booth at Tiki Oasis he'll give you a pinup. They are so much fun.

All the shot glasses are now in an upstairs bedroom and placed in these kinds of bookcases. On the bottom left is a hang10tiki carving right next to the mug that was his inspiration! Well done hang10tiki we love it.

We are so close to finishing our downsizing. We still have a very tiki home and in the end we still have a collection. Some mugs and bowls Dan wouldn't part with and some I wouldn't part with so there you have it, we will always be tiki!!!

I still have more rooms to show before I get back to posting my art. Cheers, Wendy

Friends meet Alexis she is one of our Sacramento Ohana. You may run into her at the Jungle Bird and I hope you will introduce yourself to her.

She came to our home to shop and found some fun items.

I liked both photos of her so I'm posting both.

She picked out a couple of the heads from me wall to take them home too. I still have 11 free heads needing a home so

call to make an appointment to pick them up. Also if you want to shop for tikis we have a bookcase full with the prices marked to make it easy. This is the last of our downsizing for now. We are happy to live with what is left.

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 23, 2018 4:16 PM

Wow, the Buzzy Bedroom has really changed even since I visited. And maybe I should have taken a face; there was room in my bag (if not on my walls....)

Did you know that you're a major topic of the most recent "Tiki with Ray" video?

https://youtu.be/0RBC2JxS57w

Was nice to see the swizzles display and the carving

Hope we see you here soon

Chris loves the mug he got

Cheers

Hamo thank you so much for posting the link. That didn't occur to me. Eric had just visited and Ray had interviewed us in the past so I think we had a leg up on being mentioned. It was very nice and I was very happy. PS I am working every day on your Wish.

"Tiki with Ray"

https://youtu.be/0RBC2JxS57w

hang10tiki I sure hope so, it's been too long. We had to let a lot of art go during this downsizing. It was hard but necessary. I'm glad you beat the odds.

Merry Christmas. Here are a few photos made by others of my art. If you put a hat on a piece of my art please share it during this special time.

May all your days be happy, Wendy and Dan

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-12-24 07:53 ]

Have a great Christmas you two

Merry Christmas Day everyone. Thank you hang10tiki for the new photos. I'm going to post them on fb and then get ready for lunch out with my lovely husband Dan.

May everyone feel joyful and loved on this special day. Cheers, Wendy and Dan

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2018-12-27 17:43 ]

hang10tiki thank you for the Christmas cheer. Those drinks sound really good, were they? I'm drinking Diet colas until the 1st and then I'm going cold turkey to get off of them. I will miss the lime and cherry I have them add and well as the caffeine rush. I go on and off of my favorite drink. I've enjoyed it for a month and now it's time to go off again.

If you drink too much and fall on your face you could end up looking like this Ren Clark look alike I've called Smacked! I had a wish for one and oops I dropped it. So now it will be an altered version that will looked even more beat up when glazed.

Happy Holidays, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2018-12-27 18:47 ]

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Dec 27, 2018 9:23 PM

Bob Ross would call that a happy accident.

Hamo, you are right, however when I look at it I am reminded that I dislocated my jaw when in Venice, Italy. I bit into a hard pear and pop. I manipulated it back into place as tears rolled down my cheeks. Worst pain ever! So I will be happy the day it leaves my home.

=============================

Catch up photos.

The downsizing that was was brief. Our old large TV went out and we couldn't get a picture just a blue screen.

So we traded it out for a TV from my art room. Same blue screen. We called Comcast and found that they were working on the problem.

So we put it all back and learned a lesson. CALL before you do the work!

Cheers, Wendy

W- yes, the Frankie’s drinks were great

Question
Is this the Tiki you found in Vegas?

hang10tiki yes it is but it is now in another state back East.

Wish List #8 progress report for phase three.

I got the most bazaar request of all time. Please put a Frankoma War God on the back of a Ren Clark severed head. To start I cast and cleaned them up for this project.

The Ren Clark Back From the Dead mug I sculpted a while back.

Cleaned up and waiting for the next step.

Out of the mold comes a real cast of a Frankoma War God. I made it a statue and now

after cleaning it up

I will change it into a mug. I added clay to the bottom.

I cleaned around the bottom.

I cleaned up the inside.

Now for the idea. I backed them up and saw that there isn't much mug to work with behind the Frankoma's mouth.

The mug would be a figure 8.

I will figure this out. Stay tuned! Wendy

It’s like a Dan-0 Frankoma

hang10tiki that is just so cute it melts my heart, thank you. Pretty close too.

====================================

Here's how I figured out how to do this project. He will see it for the first time when I post on fb after posting here. He may say nooooooooooooooo or he may be happy. He said his favorite artist is one that morphs two things into one. So that's what I just did here.

This will be a prop from the new musical Phantom of the Tiki!

I cast a Frankoma that was not converted to a mug.

Then I began surgery on the severed head.

Next I cut the Frankoma War God.

My baby in the background is watching every step.

Now for the dangerous part. Putting them together I must NOT trap any air or it will blow up in the kiln. So I go slowly adding bits of soft clay to fuse the pieces.

I press in the edges and then add more clay.

Here he is fused together into eternity.

I made him a necklace too.

What do you think when you see this? Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Dec 30, 2018 3:42 PM

Wow, I think you made that work.

It reminds me of Two Face, the Batman character from the animated series I watched growing up in the 90s.

Hammo that is so close. I'm going to post it on fb too. Thank you, Wendy

Hamo- ya beat me to it

hang10tiki thank you so much. Won't it be so cool when it's 2020 next year?

G. T. York came clear from San Francisco to pick up the two lamps I recently repaired. He makes lamp shades so he's a perfect match to taking them away.

Then I had him look at the clay masks on the wall and he noticed that this one was similar to himself.

So off the wall and off to San Francisco.

I have these left to give away. So if you can come pick one up just let me know. Your kids could have fun painting them or carving on them. They do not have to be preserved.

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE.

Dan decided to dress up for our New Years out dinner.

This lasted long enough for a few photos.

We had reservations in this historic building a short distance from our home.

We read this wall plaque and then at 4 PM the doors opened.

This is a wonderful place for a special occasion.

This is how Dan really dressed. I wore a Hawaiian shirt that looks like confetti.

We were home as the sun set and asleep before the fireworks. Never heard a thing! Cheers, Wendy and Dan

Our New Years was the same

hang10tiki a peaceful night is our idea of a fine time.

Before I started giving away the heads on my wall it looked like this. I decided to move the two Maori heads to the side because they are waiting to be picked up by Psycho Tiki D.

I didn't hook the squinting one well enough and a moment later he fell and hit my antique lamp shattering the glass. The last time this one fell it hit me in the head and I ended up in urgent care. I have a dent that has never gone away.

The only damage was too his chin. I have kept the mixed paint for each head in little 35 mm film canisters since 2006. Finally it's worth it to have kept the paint.

I repaired the chin and started to paint. Then I thought that I should just go and do the moko over again.

So now he's much better looking after his face lift.

Cheers, Wendy

Nice tattoo

Glad it didn’t hit u again

P
Philot posted on Thu, Jan 3, 2019 9:46 AM

That two-face is freakin' awesome!
Quite the happy accident.

hang10tiki me too. I didn't get a brain concussion which was a surprise because the hit was so hard. I just saw your latest carving on Gallery. I love him(s).

Philot thank you. I was glad he liked the way I did it after I showed him back to back wasn't going to work out. I am really happy with the way the Maori came out. I would have kept him except he has already been promised. I need to keep downsizing anyway. All but 10 heads must go. I am keeping my favorites for now.

=================================

Here's a couple of cute photos of heads once they got to their new home with Houston's kids.

One by one out the door. Cheers, Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Fri, Jan 4, 2019 11:49 PM

Let me beat Hang10 to it:

Hamo- good one

Wendy- hope you see the new one in person soon

It’s a little cold out
Ice on the spa/pool deck

Have a great day

hang10tiki we have been there during a sandstorm and flash floods but I've never seen frost in Las Vegas. It's raining here today. I need to post Hammo's project soon. I am behind in my posts. Here's a catch up.

During our downsizing we had to change room after room. This change was to our upstairs hallway. It is now perfect for the time being. Someday we may purge again but for now we are enjoying all the tikis that we have kept.

One wall prior to the purge.

Dan would take some down and then rearraign what was left. This is how our hallway looks today.

We may not have a large collection but we have a nicely decorated tiki home.

I am still behind posting, more to come soon. Wendy

All my photos show all the filler I've used to plug holes. They don't show up with regular lighting. This does mean that one day we will have to take everything off the walls and paint the inside of all the tiki rooms. Horrors. Wendy

Looking good you guys
Cheers

Frankie’s today

Kahiki Kai for me
Beer for the spousal unit

hang10tiki you sure have fun. Do you like Frankie's more than the Golden Tiki?

===========================

It's time to share the transformation of the Tiki Jungle Room into the Tiki Music Room.

The front of our home is wood and was built in 1995. The time had come to replace the wood. Our Tiki Jungle room faces the street so it was time to uncover the windows hidden by these bookcases to make sure that there hasn't been a leak in the 20 years we haven't seen them.

This shows a bit more of the wall.

We emptied one bookcase and

then took down material covering the window. NO leaks and even the dust was blocked from my shutters.

Now it was time to unload the second bookcase.

A lot of changes are taking place and I will share them each day.

I am still catching up photos before I start to share more of the Wish List projects. Wendy

W- Frankie’s looks great and has great service and drinks
Golden looks great but hit or miss on service and drinks

So Frankie’s gets my vote

Wow
That’s the most light the jungle room has probably ever seen
That’s great that you had no damage behind the shelving units

Cheers

hang10tiki good to know. We just go to see the decorations and then we leave so either would work for us. We still haven't seen the Golden Tiki. You are correct, we have to close it up when showing the room to keep the mystery effect.

==============================

The work on the Tiki Music Jungle room continued with the side to the right of the big window.

We had these two bookcases to empty and remove from the room.

Dan did the tallest shelves.

One done and removed from the room. We sold both of these.

Now we emptied and removed the other one.

Dan had all his components and speakers stored in our hallway waiting for the room to be ready.

We brought up the cabinets and Dan loaded them and hooked them all up to the speakers to play. He already had four systems in the room that played and now there are too many to count.

Here is a close up of the still tiki wall.

Backing up you can see more of his equipment below the window.

It's a good thing I only collect art supplies that I use up. The room has a ways to go. Photos soon.

Cheers, Wendy

Psycho Tiki D came by and ended up growing a couple of new heads. None are as cute as his own. My art room looks different already with so many heads having left for new places to hang out.

PTD in the house

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Jan 8, 2019 1:01 AM

I saw the Jungle Music Room in this incarnation, and it still seemed dark and mysterious to me.

Speaking of Vegas, I think I need a February trip to finally check out the city, especially Frankie's and the Golden Tiki....

hang10tiki someday we will say that about you! Do you have any photos of how you celebrated Sew Tiki's birthday yesterday. Please wish her a belated one from us.

Hamo I miss Las Vegas and all my friends that live there. You would have so much fun. I need to stay home and make more tikis. I will show yours soon.

==================================

Here are even more photos of working on the exit hallway from the Tiki Music Jungle Room.

After removing the small bookcase we brought back in one of the large bookcases. It's then we realized it was covering the light and fan switches.

I figured out where they were located and Dan cut out the back of the bookcase. Yep he cut his fingers too.

He also cut supports. A shelf holds 100 pounds of albums.

He now has his collection inside of this room. Here and in the back area.

There are still tikis around the door.

Now with those by the door and these in the back of the room he has all of his albums in the same room for the first time in decades. He has them all organized so he's able to find anything really quickly.

Thank you all for the visit. More photos to round off this project soon. Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-01-09 19:03 ]

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2019-01-09 19:04 ]

Continuing on with the Tiki Music Jungle Room I am showing the wall opposite the big window and couch. It is not photographed very often but it has a special feature where you see the pink leaves.

There is a water feature. A iguana that when turned on has water flows out of it's mouth into a pond. It makes just the right amount of water noise for the room.

If you go past the fountain you will go down this way to

Dan's stereo control center. He hasn't sold any of his tiki lamps during the downsizing and he has many of them places in a circle in this area so he can see them each day.

Each morning this is where he disappears to after helping me with molds and casting. He makes at least one CD a day.

If we ever downsize to a smaller home he will sell his album collection but he'll still have all the best cuts of music on his CD's. We are always planning our future ahead.

Cheers, Wendy

Here are a few more photos of that same area.

Dan already had this chair in a tea room of his home when I met him. He had decorating flare!

I love how mysterious this room looks with few lights. Dan is in there like this each morning.

Justin Horan did this painting of one of my Hot Tub Hula Girls. He lives in our area. Does anyone have contact with him?

Dan hung these so that he could put Jungle into the title of his room.

To have a room like this you just need thumb tacks and five years of Michael's coupons and sales! Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies