Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Finds

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11,539 replies

It's called beat Cobain to the swap meet, nice score! Who makes it, any markings?

[ Edited by: Stiki Tiki 2007-05-19 18:59 ]

S

Hey! I found some stuff. Maybe someone can give me a little info too.

Here a couple of port/starbord lamps, two tacky junk tiki candles just 'cause they were there and a somewhat vampiric Lono with spear and shield. The lamps only say that they're made in Holland. Probably decorative only, but how do I tell?...

Lono closeup...

And this---thing! Kind of a kava bowl type thing except the legs look like fish heads! (roly-poly fish heads) Only a buck so what the heck.
Anyone know what it is?

fish head close-up

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2007-05-19 18:24 ]

T

On 2007-04-19 09:24, cheeky half wrote:
I don't think we can top SDT's finds but the Mr and I picked up this bowl. It looks like a Bumatay but the heads are slightly different from the one pictured in the BOT. Anyone have any extra info.... Sven?????? There are no markings and we definitely believe it to be old.

And this---thing! Kind of a kava bowl type thing except the legs look like fish heads! (roly-poly fish heads) Only a buck so what the heck.
Anyone know what it is?

fish head close-up

These look very similar? probably the same thing. Check out Page 177 and forward for more information.

Looks like a great score especially for a buck Congratulations!

Tikisgrl

S

Hey, thanks Tikisgirl. I'd flipped through the BOT when I got this home, but missed that page. It's certainly a big brother to that one. The lava glaze is what caught my eye. The black/grey color of the pottery part almost looks like a halloween type thing. Or a souvenir from the Haunted Mansion. There's no clue on the thing (or in the BOT) as to who made it though. Hopefully, someone on the boards has a clue.

Wow....nice find Buzzy....that is a beautiful set. :)

TikiMookie...your furniture is to drool for....the room looks great!!!

As usual...I got nothing to share....just gawking over everyone elese's stuff. :D

S

OH! you meant page 177 on the boards. Ha! I started reading at 177 in the BOT and on page 184 was the "little brother" bowl! So was Mount Bumatay a restaurant? A pottery maker? Or was it just the name Gecko gave to his bowl that he based on this one? hmmm?

[ Edited by: spy-tiki 2007-05-19 21:17 ]

On 2007-05-19 21:07, spy-tiki wrote:
OH! you meant page 177 on the boards. Ha! I started reading at 177 in the BOT and on page 184 was the "little brother" bowl! So was Mount Bumatay a restaurant? A pottery maker? Or was it just the name Gecko gave to his bowl that he based on this one? hmmm?

Sorry, I did mean page 177 here, good thing you figured that out but, it's funny that it would be so close in number to the picture in the BOT

Bumatay, some information can be found on Ooga-Mooga, your bowl?

A little information here TC link

Tikisgrl

HOK

Aloha Spy-tiki, nice scores...The Tiki is made in the Philipines and sold in Hawaii, yours looks like a more vintage one(nicer,darker wood) compared to what they are offering at the Swapmeet now. That bowl is the real gem in the lot, I have a Gecko piece which was inspired by your design...

Thanks for posting, Freddie

Nice pictures Freddie.

Stiki: No markings on the chess set, but I think it's pretty new.
Hey Fballs: I think Psycho Tiki D actually is the Tiki Finds Championship
belt holder currently. I think I do have some kind of Tiki Spider Sense, however...

It was tingling this weekend:
A Cocojoes Hula Girl(means it's a good week), a KC hula girl, and a July 1969 copy of Pacific Travel News

A Pele candle:

When I first saw it, the flower made me think it was a Cocojoes piece

Then I saw it was wax, and not made by CCJs.

I really like this piece

And finally, A Coralei whale with stand and tag:

The guy charged me too much for it, but he gave me too much change, so it was actually quite reasonable in the end. I didn't say anything to him because when I was a teacher, I used to tell my students they needed to have good math skills so they will not get ripped off by opportunistic people like me with better math skills. Hey dumb guy who gave me $10 too much change today: You should have paid more attention in school.

Whale face made out of fake coral

Coralei, I believe, is a susidiary or offshoot of Coco Joes

Buzzy Out!

GT

I love this post area the best! I went to the Long Beach, Ca. Antique Swap Meet, been there a few times, but it has been like a year, I scored in my opinion some cool stuff, but I was amazed on how many Tiki Mugs where fake, Reproductions of the original vintage mugs, over half that I saw, I make tiki art myself sometimes from original molds, the difference is Repop (Re-Popularize) the original or copy it and pass it off as vintage, Big difference, anyways I got all the mugs and Trader Vics ashtray for $5.00 each, not too bad, but not a big score! I need some advice on the Shag Art Coasters/Plates? I never seen them, probably fake too, cost me $18.00 bucks for the four of them to find out! Going Antiques Road Show style! What I do know is the Trader Vics salt and pepper shakers are fake, they cost me $5.00 bucks but I wanted to use them as an example, being a ceramist myself, I know if you copy a item and remold it, it will be 10% smaller than the original, due to the shrinkage of the clay, so if you see an item that appears a little smaller than what you think it should be, Be suspect! I suspect a bunch of fake copy's are coming out! Maybe they have been out for awhile and I haven't been out enough to notice :) Mahalo Gogo

What You Think?

The Shag plates I think are from Europe, you get them in mug & coaster sets and expresso cups & saucers sets, Hot Rod Tiki have some HERE, occasionally I'l find them in the local discount stores and use them. My wife has broken her way through atleast four sets.

GT

On 2007-05-20 13:26, atomictonytiki wrote:
The Shag plates I think are from Europe, you get them in mug & coaster sets and expresso cups & saucers sets, Hot Rod Tiki have some HERE, occasionally I'l find them in the local discount stores and use them. My wife has broken her way through atleast four sets.

Thanks Atomictonytiki, from across the pond! :)

GT

On 2007-05-20 14:07, GO TIKI wrote:

On 2007-05-20 13:26, atomictonytiki wrote:

Thanks Atomictonytiki, from across the pond! :)
I know where you can get another set Mate! :)

I as able to get this piece for $10.00...I don't know anything about..it looks like a hobbyist piece but if it is the person who made it was pretty talented.

There is a signatue on the back but I can't make it out..If anyone has any ideas about it please let me know.

That's a pretty cool find you have there. Especially if it is of the hobby variety. It looks like it was modeled after a carved coconut, great concept. How is the opening like on the top? I could definately see someone like Munktiki making something like that.

The opening is about 4 inches across, plus the piece is about 6 inces deep, it would deifinately make a great scorpion bowl.

Good weather and good finds way up North. Picked up a pair of Calif-Asia chairs for the lounge in perfect shape. Found a Hawaiian Inn mug in a cool green glaze and a Hawaiian Village Tampa moai. A set of vintage highballs and a couple of fish openers. All the bar ware put me back six bucks. Good hunting.

Stuff I found today and yesterday:

14" Polyart Dancer

8" Polyart hula girl

King K ceramic decanter

Buzzy Out!

Buzz, you OWN Kobeys! :wink:

It was a good day for lava today out in the wild:
A HIP ashtray, a Polyart Whale lighter, and a HIP Rascal

It was a bad day for everything else.

4WD: Kobeys? What's that? :wink:

Buzzy Out!

HC

At Last! ,something to post.....I found this 24" tall wooden moai at a Cape Cod, Ma. antique group shop ($12)....as you can see whoever had it had glued some kind of beard on the moai and drilled a small hole near the mouth for a pipe or such....It appears to have had a top knot at one time (as evidenced by the hole on top)....a obvious crack runs the length of the face...the back has symbolic carving as well....I cleaned off the glue and am ready to restore some dignity to this piece....any Ideas as to how best fill the crack or should I leave it alone? the finish on the back is high gloss and less than attractive .....my guess is this was a souvenir piece but hey I'm happy with it! .....aloha and happy hunting

nice moai. i really like the crack. if you could get some matching stain down in the crevises and fill the hole by the mouth he'd look awesome. it's hard to see the back detail on my computer, but from what i can tell it looks pretty cool.

Hey!!!! Great find Hula Cat.I would leave the crack. I think it adds to the piece and shows the age well. The carving on the back looks to be "bird men" from the Bird Man cult that came into favor after the statue building era. Good job on your clean up.

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 5:30 PM

Do a TC search for Hoa Hakananaia - it's a famous and much-copied moai in the British Museum that yours is based on.

Got a full set of twelve of these Siestaware glasses for $8. They've gotta be 30 years old but the've still got the stickers on them saying the wood is walnut.

I rubbed the wood with a little linseed oil and turps after I cleaned them. I love the colors.

Here are my first "in the wild" tiki finds: Nothing too mind-blowing. An "Al Harrington -- The South Pacific Man, handled Ku mug, and a barrel mug (more nautical than tiki actually) from the Maui Lu resort. Found these in a thrift store in Erie, PA over the weekend. Paid about $5 total for both of them. Wish there was more tiki to be found in this area -- I live in Pittsburgh and go to Erie often. I see all the amazing finds from folks in Sacramento and kick myself because I wasn't collecting when I lived there.

R

Had probably my best hunting ever this past Memorial Day weekend in Eastern Maryland on the way out to Solomon's Island & Vera's White Sands. All these finds are from the same antiques center, apart from the Arthur Lyman LP.

LPs - Hank Snow's "Snow In Hawaii" (produced by Chet Atkins!), and a sealed copy of Arthur Lyman's "Love For Sale" (found at an area flea market for $3, a 300% markup from the sticker price!). Couple of mugs - the green one has yellow glaze on the inside, and the handled one is my first ever Westwood find.

This is a killer copper tin Kon-Tiki style candle holder. Am thinking about wiring it up as a lamp.

Here's a closer look at the base:

Here's a trio of LUAU HUT mugs - the Luau Hut was in Silver Spring, Maryland, and I've never seen this petroglyphs style before. Has anyone else? Didn't see any over in Ooga-Mooga. Between this and the peanut style one, that makes roughly 8 different mugs for this one place!

Probably the crowning achievemnt - this Maori style carving, a steal at $27.50! He's missing one mother-of-pearl button eye, but that'll be easily remedied.

Closer view of the head:

There's a carver's mark on the bottom - does anyone recognize it? It could easily be MM and not WW... and it doesn't particularly look Witco-esque to me, so am guessing it's not a William Westenhaver piece. Am curious to see if anyone might be able to tell who made this?

Cheers,
Rupe

That is a great Maori piece, thats over 2 and half foot tall, top score!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 2:24 PM

Yeah, awesome score, one like that would go for hundreds here. It's definitely cheaper to buy NZ pieces outside of NZ!

N
NOTCH posted on Wed, May 30, 2007 3:50 PM

Nice finds ya got there Rupe33....
I found these today at a goodwill thrift store.... $1 each
Three, The Islands Phoenix Arizona mugs, Four Harveys Peanut Mugs and leilani

I hit the Maori carving jackpot today:

Close ups

And one of these guys too:

I also got a Tahiti picture book from 1965

Couple of tikis in it

And some hula action

Buzzy Out!

T

Took a roadtrip to Arizona for Memorial Day, and stopped at an assortment of flea markets and antique stores.

Found a nifty Treasure Craft ashtray at an antique store.

Picked up a newer Trader Dick's moai mug at a thrift store.

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Jun 2, 2007 6:01 PM

On 2007-06-02 13:26, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I hit the Maori carving jackpot today:

Nice scores Buzzy...#2 and #4 are really good, and the last guy is kinda interesting too...is he holding a club above his head?
I wish I could find pieces like that here. Wait, I can - except people want $30 or $40 each for em! I love the local stuff but buy so little of it :(

HOK

Swap Meet finds

6 in dia. Green Japanese float w/fine net Vintage Coco Joe's ------------------------------------------- Aloha, Freddie :tiki:

While sitting in traffic in Vancover Canada - I spotted the Salvation Army and found this guy - Polynesian Pub Waikiki Hawaii:

Its white and has the Daga Stamp on the bottom. Anyone know more about this one?- I saw a yellow one on Ooga mooga but other than that ???

mahalo

Neither of my two finds is old or collectable, so purists can skip this post. :P

I found this painting at a yard sale up the street this weekend, the older lady was selling alot of paintings she had done, and this guy caught my eye. She told me it was central/south American influenced, but it was tiki enough for me to want it!
It's maybe 5"x10", acryllic on hardboard, and cost $8.

My wife came home from the hairdresser last week, and brought me this.

I may use them as carving inspiration. :)

On 2007-06-03 09:53, 4WDtiki wrote:
I may use them as carving inspiration. :)

Why not use the originals that inspired these pencil toppers?
I don't have the BOT handy, but these are lifted directly from its pages: The lower left one was inspired by the Palm Springs Tropics 'Tongue Tiki' (in the Motel chapter), the middle one from the black Aku Tiki mug (in the beginning of the mug chapter), the upper right one is a direct copy from one of the Tiki photos at the end of the Apartment chapter...that "wise man' black Tiki, from the Polynesian Village apartments.

Today's finds were pretty common:
A Trader Dicks Reno Nugget mug, two coco joes, one more Hawaii/phillipines wood mug,and a little tiki pendant

Close up of the pendant:

Buzzy Out!

T

It was a pretty slow weekend here didn't get to many yard sales on Saturday and then it started to rain right before I got to the Flea Market today, so everyone was packing up... but I will persevere!!!

This weekends finds a Dan Chan mug with a hairline, a totally touristy Moai carving & a Momotaro mug from Tiki Hut in Billerica Mass. I'll keep hunting and hopefully the weather will be more cooperative next weekend.

On 2007-06-02 18:01, Paipo wrote:

The last guy is kinda interesting too...is he holding a club above his head?
I wish I could find pieces like that here. Wait, I can - except people want $30 or $40 each for em!

Hey Paipo. I spent $38 on the whole lot, including the pendant.
Here's the guy with the club from all angles

Buzzy Out!

Tikisgrl, your finds this week ring a bell with my brother and I. He used to play gigs at Dan Chan's place in Nashua, and I play every Friday night in the building where the Tiki Hut used to be in Billerica.

T

On 2007-06-03 20:45, The Granite Tiki wrote:
Tikisgrl, your finds this week ring a bell with my brother and I. He used to play gigs at Dan Chan's place in Nashua, and I play every Friday night in the building where the Tiki Hut used to be in Billerica.

Thanks Granite, now I don't know where either of them are still, but at least somebody does!

Now on to the look what I found on my drive home portion of my post. The big guy on the left is what appears to be a homemade carving from a bit North of here, I forgot to take him out of the car so he's a late entry. The other is a cool Latour of Hawaii Bowl.

I did a quick search for the bowl here & on Ooga Mooga and I could only find one like it, that Sweet Daddy Tiki has. Anyone have any information on the artist?

Tikisgrl

Tikisgrl, Dan Chan owned "The Singapore" in Nashua, NH, which was located roughly where Barmakian Jewelers is now. In fact, that street between Barmakian and Pizzeria Uno is called "Dan Chan Way" (I believe) and I'm pretty sure that the Tiki Hut, in Billerica, MA, is now called Garrison's.

PS. I hate you for scooping up every great Tiki Find in New England. :wink:

M

Seems like ages since I've found anything, but today, I took a quick look through the junque shoppe near my office and found this nifty Norcrest skull mug. No restaurant markings, but it's beautifully detailed, and the mold is very crisp.

Hey all,

I've been collecting tiki related stuff for the last two years (I'm thinking about opening a tiki bar somewhere on the Mediterranean coast).
Most of the stuff I bought is pretty standard, but I got some lamp bases on Ebay and I'm curious if anyone knows anything about 'm.
They came without any wiring or shades and I'd like to know how they looked originally. They're hollow, made out of plaster/ceramic and have a hole on top for the 'bulbholder' and one on the bottom back for the wire. One has 1968 carved on the bottom.

Any info is welcome, thanks for reading.

TD

T

Aloha all! It has been pretty dry up here in BC but here a few few finds that I have found in the wild over the past few weeks.

The two Tiki's on the outside are the usual Tikis mostly from the Phillipines. For some reason though, I always find myself buying them. There are just so many variations of them it makes them all have their own character and each one's different. The tall one in the center I would say is a newer carving from Tahiti. It does have Tahiti carved into the back along with a name. The little bottle opener and the small dark brown one are Maori Carvings from New Zealand. The latter has three holes drilled into the top which I presume are some sort of pen or pencil holder of some kind.

Regular stuff here but the Fertility Idol on the left by Coco Joes is unusual as it was turned into a trophy. It has a brass plaque attached to a wood base which says "Hospital Hill Bowling League, Pins Under Ave., 1988-89, G. Holloway #37". Coco Joes Ashtray/Pipe Holder to center and a new unmarked bottle opener that was given to me by a friend who just got back from Hawaii.
The Frank Schirman piece on the right is from a set of two heads that were offered during the 1970's. If anyone is interested in it or happens to have the matching male and needs this one, drop me a message.

Here is a cool little mug from "Air NewZealand" which has a picture of a hut on a beach with some palm trees on it. It is marked on the base "Made in Newzealand". In the center is a cool Maori ceramic bottle. It is much like the usual bottles you see but this one is not marked anywhere and is a little smaller. I would say it is a hobbyist one but the details are very crisp. The little guy on the right isnt really Tiki as I believe it to be Aztec, maybe Spanish(?) but it is a cool little lighter and reminds me of a type of Moai figure.

Now this was a cool find. Not bad for only $18 bucks as it is quite old and looks to be carved from palmwood. It stands about 30" tall but is quite skinny. No markings on it but it is carved with a Ku style n the front and a style on the back I dont see too often. Usually you dont see anything on the back so it is a pretty cool piece.

Thats about it for now. Make sure you check out the "Events" page here on TC for the Tiki Event that will be held at the Waldorf Hotel here in Vancouver, BC, Canada on Saturday July 21st. This original(Mostly untouched since 1958) piece of Tiki history may not be around too much longer so check it out if you have the chance!! Mahalo!! TabooDan

On 2007-06-06 21:36, TabooDan wrote:
Make sure you check out the "Events" page here on TC for the Tiki Event that will be held at the Waldorf Hotel here in Vancouver, BC, Canada on Saturday July 21st. This original(Mostly untouched since 1958) piece of Tiki history may not be around too much longer so check it out if you have the chance!!

Why? What do you know? I'll be there - I have my ticket and I'm looking forward to meeting west coast tiki ohana again.

And are you saying that the Maori bottle isn't a Ti-Toki liqueur bottle?

On 2007-06-06 21:36, TabooDan wrote:

The little guy on the right isnt really Tiki as I believe it to be Aztec, maybe Spanish(?) but it is a cool little lighter and reminds me of a type of Moai figure.

[ Edited by: filslash 2008-09-20 15:37 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 11539 replies